Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing Syncro Transmission with Bostig Help *Solved*
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Removing Syncro Transmission with Bostig Help *Solved* Reply with quote

Hello All!

I'm wanting to R&R my boxes in my rig. I was hoping to remove the trans with the engine intact. Anyone done this. I have it loose and wiggling but she doesn't want to give.

*Decided that dropping the whole shebang is the best way to go about it.*

Last edited by vanatic on Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Syncro Transmission with Bostig Help Reply with quote

Photos? And you said you have a Bostig?

CV joints disconnected?
Shift linkage disconnected?
Engine supported from above (by hoist)?
Forward transmission mount unbolted?
Ground strap unbolted?
Starter unbolted?

More information please.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Syncro Transmission with Bostig Help Reply with quote

Wiggling in every direction? When I encounter this I forgot a bolt or a hose is hanging up on something.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Syncro Transmission with Bostig Help Reply with quote

Are you unbolting the bellhousing from the adapter or the adapter from the engine? You should be unbolting the bellhousing from the adapter.

It's a tight fit even on a stock syncro. If you've undone the bellhousing from the adapter, can you turn the transmission on it's axis? If so that would indicate its clear to come out, but it maybe hung up on the clutch disc splines.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Syncro Transmission with Bostig Help Reply with quote

Just go carefully and double-check everything.

It wiggles, but can you move it at least 1-2" in all directions?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
vanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Syncro Transmission with Bostig Help Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies.

It's all disconnected. I unbolted it from the adapter. Two things. It doesn't seem to tilt down at the from as much as the last one I removed from a stock Syncro. The trans still bumps the frame. I even loosened the motor mounts to give it a bit more pivot angle. Second, it just seems hung up internally. I fiddled with it this morning with a buddy... still no joy. He's a split bus guy, though. He had to tell me over and over how quick he can drop the motor and trans in his split bus.

I'm thinking that it's just not worth the effort. I may just drop the entire motor and trans. Bleeding coolant and the power steering seems easier, at this point.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Syncro Transmission with Bostig Help Reply with quote

I'm not famillar with how the Bostig is supported, but you are correct, you need to droop the transaxle enough to clear the frame. The engine may not allow that.

If you are going to drop the assembly and split it afterwards, now would be a good time to reseal the fuel tank.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Syncro Transmission with Bostig Help Reply with quote

vanatic wrote:
Thank you for the replies.

It's all disconnected. I unbolted it from the adapter. Two things. It doesn't seem to tilt down at the from as much as the last one I removed from a stock Syncro. The trans still bumps the frame. I even loosened the motor mounts to give it a bit more pivot angle. Second, it just seems hung up internally. I fiddled with it this morning with a buddy... still no joy. He's a split bus guy, though. He had to tell me over and over how quick he can drop the motor and trans in his split bus.

I'm thinking that it's just not worth the effort. I may just drop the entire motor and trans. Bleeding coolant and the power steering seems easier, at this point.

Tell your buddy the only way he can get heat in his Splitty is because he talks too much!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: