Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tachometer off after pertronix install.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rattler1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

Yes I have been searching for days on this.
I installed a new blue coil and pertronix ignition replacing the points. My tachometer now reads 100rpm at idle and only 1000rpm on the high end. The needle is steady and doesn't bounce. I've triple checked my connections. Tach wire to negative side of coil. Dip switches were never touched. What's is going on with my vdo tach????
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

Not exactly the same brand as yours, but here are some suggestions from HotSpark for fixing tachometer problems when using their electronic points.
https://www.hot-spark.com/Tachometer-Fix.pdf

I've heard of the diode fix for tachometers, the resistor/capacitor fix is a new one.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Rattler1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

I was given the same info from pertronix. Thank you. I'll report back when I try it.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

Also found this old diagram for VDO tach install. It has the DIP switch settings. I wasn't aware that the tach signal could come from the alternator instead of the ignition coil. Not sure if this applied to your tach since you didn't confirm the make/model.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also found this technical bulletin from VDO on the use of a diode in the tach signal wire but it is unclear how the wiring changes as it uses terminal numbers on the tach. But clearly there are times when a diode may be needed.
https://www.vdo-instruments.com/media/instructions...meters.pdf
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Not exactly the same brand as yours, but here are some suggestions from HotSpark for fixing tachometer problems when using their electronic points.
https://www.hot-spark.com/Tachometer-Fix.pdf

I've heard of the diode fix for tachometers, the resistor/capacitor fix is a new one.

It's funny I was doing a search on this and found a Samba post from '08 and you where the main contributors.

But from what I was understanding is the diode was to cure a jumpy tach. All I can find for guys with VDO, Autometer and some UK brands is swap to negative side of coil, which you have done already. Most of those are for tach not working at all. Not for rpms off. Is it possible to try a different tach?
Rattler1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

Update. Spoke to pertronix. They said install a diode. No help. Spoke to VDO. They said same thing. No help. CB performance said must use matching flame thrower coil. That did not help. I ran out of options and went back to points and works normal again. I quit.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

Rattler1 wrote:
Update. Spoke to pertronix. They said install a diode. No help. Spoke to VDO. They said same thing. No help. CB performance said must use matching flame thrower coil. That did not help. I ran out of options and went back to points and works normal again. I quit.

Expensive waste of time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

Rattler1 wrote:
I ran out of options and went back to points and works normal again. I quit.

Good.

My VDO tach has worked fine since 1977; I have points, of course.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

An Arduino could be programmed to convert the signal from the coil into what the tach is expecting to see. They cost less than 5 bucks and run on 12 volts. You'll have to program it using C+.

You could use a Raspberry Pi because it's easier to program, but costs more and not nearly as fast as an Arduino for something like this.
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

I had a similar situation.
Mine is a Pertronix Ignitor module with the same VDO tach that Ashman posted the instructions for. In my case I had no tach movement. To fix it it added a 680 ohm resistor from the tach signal line to +12vdc to add a strong bias. Solved the problem and tach's been working fine since. At the time i did put the scope on it and i do remember seeing a fairly nice square signal from the Pertronix. But passed that I cant really remember what it showed me to go down the biasing path. Just wanted to get it working i guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

Hmmm....i never had issues with the vdo tach and compufire ignition on my '72 Super. I have my '73 wired for it, just haven't figured out where to mount it without ruining the big dash or removing my radio for a gauge bracket.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

I spoke too soon. I have a Pertonix Rev Limiter installed and using the tach output from it was where i got into problems. Look like the tach was working fine with the Ignitor module. When I added the Rev Limiter its tach output didn't drive the VDO tach correctly. The Rev Limiter tach output needed the biasing to get the VDO to work not the Ignitor. Would have made zero sense if the biasing was from the +12v to the tach lead which is essentially the coil.
Sorry about my confusion.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

From ratwell=
.12 Why isn't this tach reading correctly?
eGauge's advice: Will VDO tachs work with points ignition or Pertronix?

Yes, with diode in line on the signal lead. Instructions are as follows:

Purchase a diode #1N4005 from a local electronics store such as Radio Shack. Cut both ends of the diode so each is approximately 3/4" long. Crimp 1/4" female spade connector on the end of the diode with the silver band.

Crimp butt-splice connector on the other end of the diode. Crimp the opposite end of butt-splice connector to the wire connected to the ignition signal source.

Connect 1/4" female spade connector used in #3 above to terminal #4 on the back of the tachometer. Connect a ground (-) wire to terminal #3. Connect a switched 12-volt power wire to terminal #2. Set switches for appropriate amount of cylinder.

I think this is a long winded way of saying that you should connect a diode between terminal 1 of the coil and the tach wire that goes to the gauge. The cathode end (silver band) has to be facing the tach side, not the coil side.

VDO wiring instructions (eGauges.com).
Rattler1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

The diode did not help me. That was the first thing I did.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

I thought I would add a contrasting comment from some work this weekend with a buddy. Before we started working on his '68 Beetle he had a OO9 distributor with a Pertronix Ignitor I module installed. In the dash we had recently replaced his large no-name tachometer (mounted under the dash) with a small 2-1/6" tach that fit into one of the small gauge holes in his dash. The small tach was working fine connected to the Pertronix ignition in the OO9 without any diodes or resistors.

As part of the work this past weekend, we replaced his OO9 with an SVDA which had points+condenser. After adjusting the points and setting the timing with a strobe light, we noticed that his tach would occasionally jump to a high rpm for a moment. The idle rpms and rev rpms matched a diagnostic tach connected to the #1 terminal of the coil so we know the tach was producing accurate readings, but the dash mounted tach would jump around 400rpm every once in a while (just for a moment) both at idle and while holding a steady fast rpm. There was not change in the engine sounds or the old analog tach connected to the ignition coil so it was only a dash gauge reading fluctuation.

I am considering adding a diode to the tach wire to see if it helps. But this is exactly the opposite of the OP's problem. Here, a distributor with electronic points works fine but swapping to point created a condition where the tach readings would spike.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
I thought I would add a contrasting comment from some work this weekend with a buddy. Before we started working on his '68 Beetle he had a OO9 distributor with a Pertronix Ignitor I module installed. In the dash we had recently replaced his large no-name tachometer (mounted under the dash) with a small 2-1/6" tach that fit into one of the small gauge holes in his dash. The small tach was working fine connected to the Pertronix ignition in the OO9 without any diodes or resistors.

As part of the work this past weekend, we replaced his OO9 with an SVDA which had points+condenser. After adjusting the points and setting the timing with a strobe light, we noticed that his tach would occasionally jump to a high rpm for a moment. The idle rpms and rev rpms matched a diagnostic tach connected to the #1 terminal of the coil so we know the tach was producing accurate readings, but the dash mounted tach would jump around 400rpm every once in a while (just for a moment) both at idle and while holding a steady fast rpm. There was not change in the engine sounds or the old analog tach connected to the ignition coil so it was only a dash gauge reading fluctuation.

I am considering adding a diode to the tach wire to see if it helps. But this is exactly the opposite of the OP's problem. Here, a distributor with electronic points works fine but swapping to point created a condition where the tach readings would spike.

The PO of my 76 bus had the SVDA Pertronix Distrubitor installed without points and condenser, the typical plug and play shit. The VDO tachometer worked fine.

I replaced it with a rebuilt German SVDA with points and the Tach danced around after installing. The diode my buddy sent me solved this issue.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer off after pertronix install. Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

Just adding an update/closure to my buddy's story... added a diode to the #1 wire running between the coil and the tachometer (tachometer end). No more needle jumping! Smile

The diode I used was this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DY5WY25/
Somewhat overkill (45V / 15A rated) but they were inexpensive and what I had on hand.

I crimped on a female push on terminal to the striped end and a male to the other. Wrapped all of it in heat shrink to insulate it. The striped end of the diode was towards the tachometer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: