Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fair Price for my '82 Westie?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarahrosescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

I just bought an '88 subaru conversion Westie, and am going to be selling my existing '82 Westie to make way for my new one. I spent $10,000 in the last year alone on my '82 (new engine and other mechanical improvements) which I know is folly but I love this van! It's been a bit of a lemon and a money pit since I bought it in fairly neglected shape several years ago, but mechanically I think it's in pretty good shape now. Cosmetically it isn't perfect -- it has some small dents and dings on the bumper, and some rust spots dotted here and there on the body. Nothing too noticeable but that will definitely need to be addressed by the new owner.

What do you all think is a fair selling price for a van like mine? I've browsed similar vans for comparison and am seeing wildly varying selling prices, from between $15k-$25k+ depending on the condition, which seems really high to me even in my area of CA where they tend to be expensive.

Advice greatly appreciated!

(first photo is from when I first bought it -- I've since cleaned the pop-top but kept the pink bumper sticker Laughing )
(second photo is my Westie now with pop-top cleaned and new top seals)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by sarahrosescott on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

Search the archives at Bring a Trailer. Good time of year to sell. I see windshield rust and the top looks like it needs a pressure wash. Air Cooled vanagons don’t get the love for some reason.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

Looking at the photo and based upon what you posted, you're upside down in this Van.

Van prices are completely based on condition.
One with rust has considerably less value.

Lust it for what you want to get.
There's a buyer for every vehicle.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

sarahrosescott wrote:
...I spent $10,000 in the last year alone on my '82 (new engine and other mechanical improvements)...

Sadly, cosmetics usually count for more at time of sale than mechanical work completed.

Your best prospect is possibly a well-informed experienced buyer who wants an air cooled as many others may just judge this book by its cover.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

Fair is an imprecise opinion word.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

Air cooled prices on BaT...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

In that condition, you’d be extremely lucky to break $10k. (This is coming from someone who just spent 4x that between purchase/repairs a few months ago)

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

thebigben wrote:
In that condition, you’d be extremely lucky to break $10k. (This is coming from someone who just spent 4x that between purchase/repairs a few months ago)

Depends on how it shows now that's its been cleaned up a bit.
(Looks like top seals were in bad shape, and that's relatively easy to repair.. and worth it for the buyer's eyes.)
Also.. What condition is the interior? Thats gonna be a lot more important to many buyers than the spot of rust on the windshield... even if people here know what that rust means.

OP should post a current photo, including engine bay.

And I'll go against the grain a bit and suggest that because of where you are in CA, if you list that on Craigslist you might find the right buyer in a 12-15k range. Be patient. Summer is nearly here.

Vans are hot, hot, hot.. right now.
And not everyone can afford the Instagram Sprinter conversion route.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
sarahrosescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
thebigben wrote:

Depends on how it shows now that's its been cleaned up a bit.
(Looks like top seals were in bad shape, and that's relatively easy to repair.. and worth it for the buyer's eyes.)
Also.. What condition is the interior? Thats gonna be a lot more important to many buyers than the spot of rust on the windshield... even if people here know what that rust means.

OP should post a current photo, including engine bay.

And I'll go against the grain a bit and suggest that because of where you are in CA, if you list that on Craigslist you might find the right buyer in a 12-15k range. Be patient. Summer is nearly here.

Vans are hot, hot, hot.. right now.
And not everyone can afford the Instagram Sprinter conversion route.

Thanks for the feedback! Below are some photos that I snapped today of the interior, and a few of the exterior.

I replaced the top seals a couple years ago as they were disintegrating when I bought it, replaced the tent canvas, which was also disintegrating, and refurbished the pop-top ceiling as the flocking was mildewy. Replaced the flocking with a marine material which doesn't collect condensation.

Those little improvements made a big difference in the overall appearance, and another wash of the pop-top will make a big difference in how it shows -- but the exterior is still pretty funky, especially up close. I always wanted to have it repainted and the rust dealt with, but body work is just too expensive in my area for a van I knew I wasn't going to keep for more than a few years. I'm hoping to find a buyer who'll take it to the next level!

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

That's a nice campmobile that will be appreciated by the right buyer. It's by no means a $20K BaT van. It probably wouldn't even be listed by BaT.

A fair price? Ask $12K and take $10K even if that means waiting for few months. Are you impatient and dislike selling used cars, esp. during COVID? Then start at $10K.

FWIW, YMMV.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

I find it amusing that you are trying to pawn off your less desirable van and realize that you are not going to get your money out of it. In my opinion you settled for second best by buying an 85, the price difference is not that great and you could have ended up with a more "Modern" with better brakes and a much improved electrical system and better interior and exterior colors. Just my opinion but still amusing.
In answer to your question, you might find a newbie that will give you 10-12 K. As noted selling is a game of patience and clever advertising. An old friend of mine always said clean wheels and undamaged bumpers help to sell a car.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

sarahrosescott wrote:
I'm hoping to find a buyer who'll take it to the next level!

If this is your true intent.. then maybe be willing to let it go for a few thousand less to someone who can really enjoy it. List it at 10k, let it go for 8k to the right person. And then you're free of it.

And don't sweat getting your money back out of it.
I mean really.. Its just money.

Camper vans, like sailboats.. are about the vibe and the lifestyle.
If you are enjoying it, its worth the money you feel compelled to put into it.
But like a fine yacht (or even a dinge-y dinghy), these are not an investment for monetary return.. Real estate, and money markets are there for ROI.

The return from a van like your's is in the pleasure of living it.

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
sarahrosescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
sarahrosescott wrote:
I'm hoping to find a buyer who'll take it to the next level!

If this is your true intent.. then maybe be willing to let it go for a few thousand less to someone who can really enjoy it. List it at 10k, let it go for 8k to the right person. And then you're free of it.

And don't sweat getting your money back out of it.
I mean really.. Its just money.

Camper vans, like sailboats.. are about the vibe and the lifestyle.
If you are enjoying it, its worth the money you feel compelled to put into it.
But like a fine yacht (or even a dinge-y dinghy), these are not an investment for monetary return.. Real estate, and money markets are there for ROI.

The return from a van like your's is in the pleasure of living it.

I couldn't agree more and am more interested in it going to the right person and in both parties having a positive experience than in how much someone is willing to pay. So definitely prepared to be flexible. When I decided to replace the engine when it failed rather than selling the van off for parts as my mechanic recommended, I knew full-well that it was not an 'investment' and that I would never make it back with this van as far as cash goes. I made the $$ back in another year of irreplaceable memories in a van that I love though, which is far more valuable to me! I definitely don't expect to turn a profit off of it Laughing
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

Our 82 has a lot of good memories. Our 90 camper syncro was our dream vanagon, but its a stranger to us by comparison. We are keeping the 82. Case of wanting and having.
sarahrosescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
I find it amusing that you are trying to pawn off your less desirable van and realize that you are not going to get your money out of it. In my opinion you settled for second best by buying an 85, the price difference is not that great and you could have ended up with a more "Modern" with better brakes and a much improved electrical system and better interior and exterior colors. Just my opinion but still amusing.

'85 was actually a typo. My new van is an '88. Regardless, I'm not sure what's going on with your negativity and judgment. If you read my post again you'll see that my purpose in posting was to get an experienced westie opinion of what a 'fair' listing price is as the market value that I'm seeing for vans like mine seem grossly inflated to me. I've never expected to "get my money out of it". I just want to pass it on to someone who will love it at a fair price for both parties. This group is always so helpful and knowledgeable that I knew I'd get good insights, and I have.
sarahrosescott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Our 82 has a lot of good memories. Our 90 camper syncro was our dream vanagon, but its a stranger to us by comparison. We are keeping the 82. Case of wanting and having.

I hear you -- if I had the parking space, I'd definitely keep both too! Not possible with my 2 car garage and small driveway. My new '88 is amazing and has a similar look, but it doesn't have the character. It's hard to let this one go.
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

It really doesn't look so bad. I have been blown away by the prices that the air cooled vans have been bringing on BAT.

My recommendation to maximize selling price and provide a transparent transaction:
Clean up everything as best as possible and take the time to fix as many small things as possible (like the missing bumper covers).
Make a list of all repairs completed and associated costs.
Make a list of all current issues (maybe even pay to have a PPI completed and provide that to perspective buyers).

Get good non distorted, non filtered photos of all sides of the van's exterior (including open pop top), interior (including open pop top), engine bay and undercarriage.

Post all of it up with a desired price with the above information that gives you some wiggle room to negotiate downwards (say rock bottom price + 20%?).

Edit: Just saw this is in Santa Cruz. I bet if you did the above and the PPI is OK you can do 12-14k pretty quick and easy with a happy buyer. There is a clean 82 aircooled listed in Berkley at 24k and a crusty 1980 for 2k in Redwood City. Not much in between those two.

Good luck!

Last edited by pjn_wyo on Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

sarahrosescott wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

I hear you -- if I had the parking space, I'd definitely keep both too! Not possible with my 2 car garage and small driveway. My new '88 is amazing and has a similar look, but it doesn't have the character. It's hard to let this one go.

We only need one as well. The 90 is going to a new home.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
That's a nice campmobile that will be appreciated by the right buyer. It's by no means a $20K BaT van. It probably wouldn't even be listed by BaT.

A fair price? Ask $12K and take $10K even if that means waiting for few months. Are you impatient and dislike selling used cars, esp. during COVID? Then start at $10K.

FWIW, YMMV.

That’s my gut feeling too.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair Price for my '82 Westie? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The 90 is going to a new home.

So happens I have some space in my driveway.
What are the odds?
Wink

danfromsyr wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: