Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ontario Insurance
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Ontario Insurance Reply with quote

I've been reading a few old posts about hassle/problem of getting insurance in Ontario, Canada. Can anyone let me know who they are insured with. My ownership says VW TYP1. The buggy I had previously was insured was through Lant-Silverwheels(Approx 2008), I called Hagerty today, and they said they do not insure them in Canada, only in the US.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ontario Insurance Reply with quote

I am not in Ontario, I live in Alberta and yes Hagerty didn't want anything to do with my Buggy either. Intact insured it though and 4 years on has not even asked for an inspection. I just carry the minimum though.
EMPI70IMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ontario Insurance Reply with quote

I use Kirby and Masson Insurance Broker in Ottawa and the policy is with Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company (its Facilities Insurance). Ask for Kimberly she’ll give you the scoop. I pay $189/month for the months its on the road and $8/month when its in storage. Pricy, but its all we have here in Ontario unless you’ve be paying your premiums for years and years with Hagerty Insurance. I know of one person that has Hagerty Insurance for their buggy.
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ontario Insurance Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I've sent the appraisal to my broker. I have an existing policy with Intact on my other vehicles, so maybe they will, but I have a feeling I'm going to be calling that broker in Ottawa. It's probably only going to be on the road for 5-6 months a year of I'm lucky.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ontario Insurance Reply with quote

Ours is insured as a classic and restricted to occasionally driven. Public liability only, no collision so it's cheap enough to cover year around even though it only gets used April to September. I would have to look it up but if memory serves it is under $100 for the year. We actually have 3 cars insured with them under that status.
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ontario Insurance Reply with quote

So speaking to a few different places, it seems to be the fact that it is modified and that it has rollbar/rollcage is the issue with the vintage insurance market. They won't touch them. Right now I'm looking at about $1000 per year. $150/month for 6months, and $12 per month when in storage. Just waiting to hear back from my broker that everything is good to go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: