Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Mini-Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

69, if I remember right there was a plastic piece in between the seat and the rail on my 72. I greased that, seats slide a lot better. I don't have those seats on the old style rails any more, I swapped in seats out of a 1990 VW Cabriolet. Lots better. Took some surgery though.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

People were looking for pictures. I found these from before I started the dismantle.
1968BUGMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Dang that's nice man.
Installing a Stereo Into a Classic VW | https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9502179#9502179
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks. She shines real nice in the sunshine for sure

Next question:
I can’t find any videos or info on how to install the latch to the trunk hood. It didn’t have any screws or rivets with it. I see how it attaches. There was never anything in there before. Not sure where the release cable goes. And I can’t find any info.

Thanks.

bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

I can post a photo when I get home, unless somebody else posts first. Thart latch goes underneath the red metal body.
Marion, Iowa
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

(Not my photos. Found them on here in the gallery.)

The latch goes in from inside the trunk and was originally riveted.

The head of the adjustment screw that pinches the cable lines up with that extra hole in the body when the latch is in the locked position, allowing you to tighten it by sticking a screwdriver down through the hole.
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Excellent. Very helpful. Where does the other end of the cable go?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

dolppl wrote:
Excellent. Very helpful. Where does the other end of the cable go?

Plastic portion is clamped to the body in the trunk then up to the glove box. There it attaches to an arm (lever) on the trunk side. The inside portion (a handle) can be toggled to open the hood.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

This got kind of skipped over with my many questions but I would like some feedback.

I was told this was the original engine for my '69 but the more I look at it the more I am questioning that. With no letters before the number and it starting with a 5, the best i can deduce is that this is from '61. If there was an H in front of the number the 5 matches up to a '69. But it seems like the different engine number matrixes i find don't always agree.

Let me know your thoughts and if you need any more info i can get it for you.

Thanks in advance.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Most likely a replacement case...and it looks like someone painted portions of it with silver spray paint.
I have a 69 with the original motor...matches the number in the original owners manual. Pretty rare, it seems.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Looks like a nice project. I’m in the same boat with my ignition I can’t figure out how to get it out I unhooked all of the wires but it won’t come out Mad . Yes there should be a casting piece from metal in that spot with two little screws and caps in there. If I can find some pictures I’ll post them.
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

My 69 ignition for reference

db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

dolppl wrote:
Ok onto the next question. It looks like someone replace the original ignition switch and took it off the steering column and put it on the dash. I would like to go back and put it on the steering column.
2 issues.
1. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the old ignition switch.
2. I cannot find where I can get the housing that the ignition switch will go into if i put it back on the steering column. It looks like there should be a cast piece that goes into the steering column and then the new switch goes into that. Having trouble find the cast piece.

Any help is appreciated.

Try this link for ignition replacement

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

I had a single port in my 69 for a while. It had a 30/31 brosol carb with the 009 distributor and they worked very good together. If your not interested in going original this would be a good option.
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

All good information and I again appreciate it

Next question. My heater boxes have what appears to be a tube that came out of them or at least a connection point that was pinched off previous to me.

See pictures below. Engine is out of the car right now so easy to see. I have not seen any other heater boxes with these connection points on them, curious to understand what they were from or their purpose.

Thanks again,

dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Next question:

It appears my front turn signals are not original so need to know how to wire them up. The right side has a gray and black/green wire going to it. The left side has a gray and black/white wire going to it. The wiring diagram shows the spade connector connecting directly to the housing. These turn signals have a black and red wire coming out of the housing. I’ll splice them together.

Thoughts?

dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Really need to get moving on this car. Want to get it on the road ASAP.

My thinking is the gray wires come from the fuse box. And the fuse box should be on the positive side. So I am going to hook the gray wire to the black on the bulb itself.

Anybody feels that this is wrong let me know.

I have scoured the internet and have found no info.
Thanks.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

Black/Green-Black/White wires are the turn signals. The Grey wires are the parking lamps.
This as I read the diagram.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

So any idea which is the turn signal and which is the parking lamp? Red or white?

The way the bulb itself looks to be wired it is that both go the red and the black go right to the bulb. The more i think about this these may not work. I feel like they will only work for one circuit.
ryohey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Mini-Restoration Reply with quote

hook it up and try it. you will not hurt anything. There should be a brown ground wire going to it also.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: