Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anyone had this issue with a pop out window? Trim in way
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffhoehn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Has anyone had this issue with a pop out window? Trim in way Reply with quote

Just picked up this car and the left pop out won’t get past the trim. How does it come off and what is the fix??
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had this issue with a pop out window? Trim in way Reply with quote

Can’t really tell from the photos but it seems like it is not attached to the hinge pillar correctly. You’ll have to pull that window gasket out of the pillar and unscrew the hinges from the pillar side or loosened the whole pillar and pop it out that way. You’ll want to unclip the latch from the window or unscrew the latch from the chassis as well.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had this issue with a pop out window? Trim in way Reply with quote

Earlier ghias have a shorter, less spike at the end chrome pieces. Maybe a replacement will work. Dont buy this one, just a pic so you could see the diff.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2419744
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had this issue with a pop out window? Trim in way Reply with quote

I'm guessing a PO installed the wrong year glass? By the looks of that trim, your car is a 72-74, which uses different glass that the 71 and older cars. Easiest way to tell if it's right is that the correct glass should have a metal forward edge that screws to the pillar, the earlier one has an aluminum trim with plastic "hinges" that slide into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had this issue with a pop out window? Trim in way Reply with quote

Short story from my side.... After picking the car up on the trailer, on the way home, one of the quarter window glass got lost (dropped out?), so I bought another one.

Being a newbie in Ghias, I bought a "Ghia coupe quarter windwow" I mean, how hard can it be? Because the missing one was, well, missing Laughing and I didn't want to take out the other one, I tried to install the "new" one with all I got. All my force, some rubber mallet action, and wondered, if it's really only held in place by the rear window latch. The answer was nooooo.... I got a 60-71 one! No wonder it didn't fit !

The rest you can figure out for yourself.... 72-74 is a different glass shape and fitting......
I bet you have a 72-74, with a 60-71 quarter window only held in by the rear latch.
Vlad

PS: Please don't laugh too hard, for losing the window while on a trailer, or for buying a wrong year one.... Laughing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had this issue with a pop out window? Trim in way Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:

PS: Please don't laugh too hard, for losing the window while on a trailer, or for buying a wrong year one.... Laughing

I can't blame an unsuspecting buyer. All too often sellers don't know what they are selling or a least don't put the effort in to describe what it's supposed to fit!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: