Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 engine lid questions - please help solve the mystery
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
livingskies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: 1964 engine lid questions - please help solve the mystery Reply with quote

I'm working on reassembling this 1964 Westfalia, after completing the repaint. it is a late 1964 (mid-April) production bus.

It came with two engine lids, with neither on the bus. One of the lids is newer with the latch type and spacing of the later lids used to 1971 or so.

The other lid - the one that I restored and painted - has the small, round hole for the church key. The latch spacing on that also fits with the rear apron on the 1964 bus.

The bus has the two rollers on the body on the right side of the engine compartment opening made for the spring type of engine lid stay, but the lid that I planned to use has the lower mounting bolt hole for the earlier type of pull out-push in prop rod.

Please confirm or correct what I am thinking VW did in 1964 (possibly part way through the production year) with these lids. VW used the earlier style church key type lid but went to the later spring type engine lid stay. Along with that change, they moved the bracket used to bolt the spring stay to the engine lid to a position higher up on the lid.

If that is the case, maybe all I need to do to make the lid work and look correct is to remove the present bracket from its lower position and weld on the newer style bracket at the higher location. I have a couple of 1971 vintage parts buses that can provide that bracket.

Or, what am I missing?? Thanks for any help.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 engine lid questions - please help solve the mystery Reply with quote

Yes, it changed in 1964 but earlier than your Bus

Early style
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Later style

As far as I know you can move the engine lid connection location and you are set
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 engine lid questions - please help solve the mystery Reply with quote

Progressive Refinements deck lid change

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
livingskies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 engine lid questions - please help solve the mystery Reply with quote

Thanks, Everett. That confirms what I suspected; always good to make sure.

Instead of remaking the old lid, I decided to order the correct lid for 1964 from CIP1. That way, the old lid(s) won't have pieces removed and/or added and can remain correct for some future project of another year bus.

Using a new lid means having to break out the spray equipment again, but not a big deal just to do one part. Three color coats and three clearcoat using up a bit of the left over product.

The pearl white L87 paint job turned out well. I used Matrix base and Xtreme clear. It was the first paint job I have done with the new Anest Iwata gun. I liked the SATA before, but the Iwata may give a smoother finish. Virtually no orange peel, and most of the paint is as smooth as glass and requires no buffing.

Pictures make the paint look more beige or yellow than it really is. In person, especially when next to something that is beige or white, the pearl white has a distinct grey or black tone. I really like the color.

Pics below:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: