Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

All-

Can anyone offer tips on how they successfully bent the metal trim around the back of the front seats? The piece I ordered of course comes as a straight piece.

I looked around for a template but nothing to be found. Mine is a 1966 deluxe walk-through.

I was going to use a piece of scrap copper (as it is flexible) and try it that way this weekend to see. But thought I would ask if there are other tried and true methods. The pic below is not mine, just out of photos elsewhere.

Thank you
-Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

I once saw a video of a guy who bent side trim for an old American car by filling the backside with urethane caulk and sneaking up on the profile he needed. You could also use lead. Any manipulation of the trim will show on the shiny anodized coating on the trim. There is no way to repair it. I usually just remove it with oven cleaner and buff the part afterwards. I like to use clear lacquer.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

Thanks cru62.... I worry more I think about crimping the corner causing it to touch and not staying "rounded".

A welder I know suggested maybe slide a piece of flat stock in the slit of the trim and bend it thinking that might keep it from crimping.

I do have access to a guy that bends tubing for the gas company and said he could bend but would need the dimensions and especially at the bend radius point.

Thank you again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

I'd have zero hesitation using the actual seat pedestal as the buck- tape it if it's anodized. I'd insert a fitting steel rod/tube in the channel and bend away. You could easily brace it against the opposite seat pedestal using 2x4s and a bottle jack.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

Maybe you can slip a piece of 1/8” or 3/16” thick x .5” wide aluminum bar into the channel and bend both pieces at once?

I would expect a metal rod might be challenging to remove once it’s bent.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

I can only imagine it was pushed into place and bent as needed by the same deft hands of the little lady that could install the vent wing seal in under 30 seconds at the VW factory.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies... campingbox, good suggestion....

I did also end up calling Wolfsburg West (which I should have done initially, but I am just so used to posting here).

The suggestion was to insert a narrow piece of sunroof coil (spring like) and then heat up the trim initially and then slightly as you make the bend.

Last night I did try the copper tubing I had and it formed around the sides really easy. I was thinking I could use as a template, but now I'm not sure.

After I do it bend the trim, I will come back and post a pic and my results (and struggles).

Thank you
-Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

When you heat up stainless it will turn it a blue color which won’t polish or sand off.

You’ll have to use an acid (pickeling paste) to remove the color and it will look slightly splotchy where you apply it but should polish out okay. That stuff is nasty to work with so be very careful with it.

If you do heat it up try it on a scrap first and you’ll see what I’m talking about. I personally would not recommend heating it up, although maybe a low temperature might soften it slightly and not discolor it.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

camping box... very glad you mentioned this about heating. That might be a great follow-up questions to WW. Thank you.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
I did also end up calling Wolfsburg West (which I should have done initially, but I am just so used to posting here).

The suggestion was to insert a narrow piece of sunroof coil (spring like) and then heat up the trim initially and then slightly as you make the bend.

Did you suggest to them that they do the bending before they sell the product? Is it too much to ask that you be only the installer, not part of the manufacturing process?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

Well Lind... great question and one I thought about too. No I did not ask, but wonder why a trim kit can't be made with the bends and then two straight pieces.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

Making it in one piece ready to install is easily doable, it just would cost more and the time involved to make the tools might exceed how many units could be sold in a decade or more. They also would be more awkward to ship.

WW pretty much just tosses these in with the interior chrome sets. For a 62 and earlier bench seat they just need to be cut to length, drilled, and countersunk. All other years and models require some fussing.

On the walk through buses I’ve worked on I cleaned up and reused the original strips.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

You know the one thing I forgot to ask (but sure I can find) is how far the trim extends along the seats towards the front of the cab?

Also, do people rivet, self-tap screw the trim in or some other method.

Thank you
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
When you heat up stainless it will turn it a blue color which won’t polish or sand off.

You’ll have to use an acid (pickeling paste) to remove the color and it will look slightly splotchy where you apply it but should polish out okay. That stuff is nasty to work with so be very careful with it.

If you do heat it up try it on a scrap first and you’ll see what I’m talking about. I personally would not recommend heating it up, although maybe a low temperature might soften it slightly and not discolor it.

FYI Barkeepers friend cleanser takes off the blue easily, and it's not nasty to use.

Is the new part stainless?, or aluminum?, each will require different levels of heat to soften, and too much heat on aluminum gets ugly fast.
I'd stuff the groove tight with strips of smooth cardboard (cereal box?), that'll hold the gap open and still bend with the part.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

busdaddy.... Wolfsburg part says it is stainless steel https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=221853067

I did just email WW to ask about their method of heating and awaiting that information.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

FYI Barkeepers friend cleanser takes off the blue easily, and it's not nasty to use.

Good info. Thanks, I’ll try that next time.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
busdaddy.... Wolfsburg part says it is stainless steel https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=221853067

I did just email WW to ask about their method of heating and awaiting that information.

It could be helpful if they told you what alloy it is, here's some interesting discussion found by googling "anneal stainless steel" https://orchid.ganoksin.com/t/should-stainless-steel-be-annealed/41106/6
Food for thought......

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

WW did email be back and said that the stainless will change color, but you can polish it back to the same finish and to use a map gas torch for heating.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
WW did email be back and said that the stainless will change color, but you can polish it back to the same finish and to use a map gas torch for heating.

My experience with the blue was that it wouldn’t simplify polish or sand off but maybe I was rushing things. That was a number of years ago. Please follow up with what works for you.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Back of Front seat - metal trim - how to bend (photo included) Reply with quote

FYI - Although out of stock at the moment....and PRICEY !!
https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22969463-221-066.html

I have these, but have not installed yet so I can't say much about fit...
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: