Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early(?) fridge converter woes
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ol'westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Early(?) fridge converter woes Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a 74 westy with a dometic fridge and an early AC converter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The last time I used it, I noticed a smell like burning plastic coming from the back of the fridge.
When I pulled it out, I could see a couple wire splices had melted and the wires near them were black. Shocked Exclamation

I pulled out my trusty volt meter and found that when set to DC, I get 12-13v at those burned contacts. When set to 110AC, I get 123V!

As I understand it, the fridge really runs on 12v DC, and the converter should take in AC and only put out DC.

Can anyone confirm that?

Anyone out there still have one of these converters? Can they be repaired?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Early(?) fridge converter woes Reply with quote

Apparently some butcher has been in there, Westfalia didn't use Scotchloc connectors, they used nice terminal blocks that screwed down on the wires. Maybe they messed with the switch wiring as well?

Here's a bunch of reading for you: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399295&highlight=fridge

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ol'westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Early(?) fridge converter woes Reply with quote

So I've done some more research on this.

I have a single heating element with 4 wires; 2 for 12v DC, and 2 for 120 VAC. The wires to the VAC side are cut and those wires are spliced via Scotchlocs to the 2 12V wires.

Instead of direct 120 VAC from shore power, I have an AC convertor that takes in 120 vac and outputs 12V 15A. Which means my fridge only runs on 12V DC.

I've started a search for a source of replacement elements, then I realized I don't know what model this is! T believe it is a stock 74 fridge. On the inside wall of the the box where the food goes are two labels. One says Dometic, and the other is in German (or maybe Norwegian according to Google!) and says Kreft sarl Vianden with a model of 45 CEW.

Here is a picture.

That is not a blurred photo. It looks like the VAC info was rubbed out when the lines were cut and the fridge converted to DC only.

Anyway, does anyone know what model of Dometic this is? Better yet, does anyone know of a source for replacement parts?

Thanks for your help. Smile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Early(?) fridge converter woes Reply with quote

Personally I would get rid of any voltage converter that is 50 years old, especially one that is rusty unless you plan to make this bus a museum piece. Not only are the electronic components old and tired, prone to failure but the efficiency of modern circuits is substantially greater than those from the time period the buses were made.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Early(?) fridge converter woes Reply with quote

I doubt you'll get far searching the model number, but maybe ask someone like this: https://www.thedometicguy.com/parts-by-dometic-model/ if they have a similar element within the size and wattage range. I wonder if that's .50 amps, or 50 amps?........, check the output of the converter to see if it can even make 50 amps.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Early(?) fridge converter woes Reply with quote

Are you looking to repair to "stock" or just wanting a fridge repair? If the latter, I'd switch to modern tech and use the old fridge for canned storage, etc.
We have a BougeRV 23QT that runs indefinitely from our 100w solar. Gets so cold it puts ice crystals in the bottled water. $200 with a 3 year warranty.

mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Early(?) fridge converter woes Reply with quote

Wow ! Scotchlock instead of wire nuts !! one level beyond.

50 watts power is about 4 or 5 amps. Provided you put it somewhere with good airflow, a generic 12 volt switchmode "brick" can be purchased - the units that power 3D printers are easily available. Buy one with a fan.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: