Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting a Type 4 engine to start after 10 years
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a Type 4 engine to start after 10 years Reply with quote

Mice less important. More important to get fresh gas in, old gas out, and. Getting the oil water slurry out of the crankcase before starting.

It’s not going to run well, that carb will be completely gunked up.

The price on turning the key to “ see if it will start” could be 4-8k , otherwise
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a Type 4 engine to start after 10 years Reply with quote

You will smell the mouse nesting if and when your engine starts, it’s a foul burnt mulch/hot urine smell. It kind of smells like money burning.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a Type 4 engine to start after 10 years Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Mice less important. More important to get fresh gas in, old gas out, and. Getting the oil water slurry out of the crankcase before starting.

It’s not going to run well, that carb will be completely gunked up.

The price on turning the key to “ see if it will start” could be 4-8k , otherwise

The above is true. Drain the gas tank, new fuel lines, and new fuel filter.

If you have extra time, maybe pour 2-3 gallons of diesel in the fuel tank, rock the bus back and forth and then, drain the gas tank to remove any rusty bits. Then pour new 2-5 gals of gas in the tank, rinse and repeat with gas. The goal here is to see if the tank is rusty and clear any nasty rust outta the tank. You'll find out real quick if the tank is blocked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a Type 4 engine to start after 10 years Reply with quote

If the tank has been sitting with a load of ethanol laced fuel in it, its going to take more than swishing the tank out with fresh fuel to make it serviceable. The tank likely has a layer of goo inside that will slowly dissolve and move through the fuel system clogging jets and causing sticky valves for tens of thousands of miles to come if it is not remove somehow before the rig is put back into service.

If he wants to run it as is, the OP should buy a half dozen cases of Tectron "Ethanol" fuel system cleaner and enough cheap synthetic oil to add a pint at every fill up for the next 50K miles to keep the valves from sticking and having negative interactions with the pistons, and of course make sure he keeps his AAA towing insurance paid up.
Jason0115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a Type 4 engine to start after 10 years Reply with quote

Rider_Surfboards wrote:
Whereabouts in NJ are you located?

Hunterdon county, how about you?
Jason0115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a Type 4 engine to start after 10 years Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
Pictures of OP engine
No engine bay seal, probably disintegrated over the 10 years. Center mount carb with some FI components still in engine bay. But based on these two photos, I wouldn’t turn the key to try and run it.
t

Is their any FI components that are missing which you can notice?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a Type 4 engine to start after 10 years Reply with quote

Jason0115 wrote:
60vwnewengland wrote:
Pictures of OP engine
No engine bay seal, probably disintegrated over the 10 years. Center mount carb with some FI components still in engine bay. But based on these two photos, I wouldn’t turn the key to try and run it.
t

Is their any FI components that are missing which you can notice?
I notice that it has a single progressive.....good news is he wont have to worry about vac leaks and cracks in S boot. edit-but you knew that...
Rider_Surfboards
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a Type 4 engine to start after 10 years Reply with quote

Jason0115 wrote:
Rider_Surfboards wrote:
Whereabouts in NJ are you located?

Hunterdon county, how about you?

I am in Monmouth County. I saw from your other thread that you may be passing up this bus and continuing your search for another—probably not a bad idea.

If/when you come across a good project, I may be able to come up and help you see what’s what. Shoot me a PM when that time comes.

I’ve had lots of help from the community on my own VW journey, and its been one of my favorite parts of owning one of these vehicles. I will be glad to repay the favor if I can.

— Kevin
Jason0115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a Type 4 engine to start after 10 years Reply with quote

Rider_Surfboards wrote:

If/when you come across a good project, I may be able to come up and help you see what’s what. Shoot me a PM when that time comes.

I’ve had lots of help from the community on my own VW journey, and its been one of my favorite parts of owning one of these vehicles. I will be glad to repay the favor if I can.

I appreciate that Kevin, I'll give you a pm if I find something nearby. I'm trying to get the word out and network around. Hope I come across a good deal soon. It has been a warm welcome from the community.

I'm thinking of getting the bus in the photos for parts. Fiddle with engine learn on it since I wont be driving it. Plus, it has all the interior camping gear minus some of the fabric and the shot front seats. All for hopefully under 750.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: