Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Yeah...I bought 8 AWG for the run from starter to Renogy so I have to likely follow this existing wire from the battery box across. Because they don't make 45amp breakers I had to go with 50 in, 40 out....don't think that's too risky for the bisky as I'm going 8awg. Only other option is to drop to 40amp in AND out.

Side question...should the fuse be closest to the ending of the wire or the beginning?
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:

Side question...should the fuse be closest to the ending of the wire or the beginning?

Fuses should be as close as possible to the power source. This doesn't always work out of course, but that's the idea. The fuse or breaker is protecting the wiring from overloading, melting, and possible fire. So if you are blowing fuses or breakers, there is something wrong that needs to be corrected.

Side note - you might think about using a breaker as both circuit protection and a cut-off switch. I have a Blue Sea 187 breaker on my DC|DC charger and it's really nice to have it turned off when I don't need to be charging the house battery from the alternator (driving around town, etc.). It's actually turned off a lot more than turned on.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

DeLvxe wrote:

Question: Tell me about your fridge vent. This looks custom.

Sorry, just saw this... The fridge vent charging plate is from Camper Van Culture - https://campervanculture.com/shop/westfalia-fridge-vent-plate-with-high-quality-power-points-brown/
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:
ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:

Side note - you might think about using a breaker as both circuit protection and a cut-off switch. I have a Blue Sea 187 breaker on my DC|DC charger and it's really nice to have it turned off when I don't need to be charging the house battery from the alternator (driving around town, etc.). It's actually turned off a lot more than turned on.

These are the fuses that I got that have the switch on them...BlueSea seem like a more robust solution because they are IP66 certified.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RKV35HY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Great write up, thank you! Our westy is stripped currently for repaint and being an electrical novice your detailed and informative post helps a lot.

Beautiful workmanship also, perfect mix of stock look with modern upgrades.

Note - I found this thread via your “house power wiring” thread (also very informative) and noticed that the wiring diagram at the beginning of this post is now different, correct?
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
Great write up, thank you! Our westy is stripped currently for repaint and being an electrical novice your detailed and informative post helps a lot.

Beautiful workmanship also, perfect mix of stock look with modern upgrades.

Note - I found this thread via your “house power wiring” thread (also very informative) and noticed that the wiring diagram at the beginning of this post is now different, correct?

Glad you found it helpful! Yes, the wiring diagram did change a bit around the shore charging, added a breaker for the DC|DC charger, Blue Sea switch panel, etc. I added the final wiring diagram to the other thread.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
kevinm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Vanuber, thanks for all this detail, and for your help with the dimensions on that panel.

I'm trying to do something similar but less ambitious and am wondering about how you calculated the amperage of the MRBF fuse at the battery terminal. Your diagram shows a 250 Ah fuse, and it looks as if you have a 100 Ah battery Even so, I think that batteries can surge above their normal rating for a bit. Did you base the fuse Ah on the battery's max surge amperage and then increase it a bit?

- Kevin
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

kevinm wrote:
Vanuber, thanks for all this detail, and for your help with the dimensions on that panel.

I'm trying to do something similar but less ambitious and am wondering about how you calculated the amperage of the MRBF fuse at the battery terminal. Your diagram shows a 250 Ah fuse, and it looks as if you have a 100 Ah battery Even so, I think that batteries can surge above their normal rating for a bit. Did you base the fuse Ah on the battery's max surge amperage and then increase it a bit?

- Kevin

Exactly right! The surge is 200A on the Battleborn. So going a bit above that just in case of catastrophic failure.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

kevinm wrote:

- Kevin

You are muddling Amp-hours with Amps.

A battery might be rated at 100Ah, but have a maximum current output of over 1000A. LFP batteries tend to have 'limiters' in their management systems that will limit this - as in the above example, to 200A.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Hello Vanuber,

I'm re-designing my aux battery system, and I plan to borrow several of the ideas from your aux battery system thread (I will reuse my Redarc unit so it won't be an exact clone). I have 2 questions if you don't mind:

1 - I liked the way you used the SafetyHub to route all the charging elements (DC-DC charger, AC-DC charger, MPPT) to the battery through the SafetyHub (way more cleaner than tying them all to the battery terminal post). Do you have any updates/changes on how you connected them?

2 - I truly liked for documentation and planning purposes how you draw the whole circuit (including pics of the components), what program did you use?

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:

1 - I liked the way you used the SafetyHub to route all the charging elements (DC-DC charger, AC-DC charger, MPPT) to the battery through the SafetyHub (way more cleaner than tying them all to the battery terminal post). Do you have any updates/changes on how you connected them?

2 - I truly liked for documentation and planning purposes how you draw the whole circuit (including pics of the components), what program did you use?

I am still running everything as shown in the wiring diagram. If looking at the image below, the larger loads on the MIDI fuses include the accessory switch panel, the DC|DC charger, the AC|DC charger, and MPPT controller. The ATO fused circuits include the rear LED's, the fridge vent plate charger, and the small ST blade panel under the sink.

The SafetyHub setup is pretty awesome with the IP22 shore power. The battery can be removed from the system (as it is now for winter storage) but everything still runs of the IP22 as it is a power source and a charger.

The wiring diagram was done in Adobe Illustrator.

Good luck on your build!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! One more question, I see that you put the cutoff switch on the negative terminal of the battery, but I've seen folks putting a circuit breaker on the positive terminal instead:

1 - is there a pro/con of disconnecting positive vs negative terminal?
2 - does the choice of the disconnection mechanism (manual switch vs circuit breaker) dictate which cable to add the cutoff?

Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Thanks for the info! One more question, I see that you put the cutoff switch on the negative terminal of the battery, but I've seen folks putting a circuit breaker on the positive terminal instead:

1 - is there a pro/con of disconnecting positive vs negative terminal?
2 - does the choice of the disconnection mechanism (manual switch vs circuit breaker) dictate which cable to add the cutoff?

1 - There are some other discussions on Samba about the negative v/s positive cutoff if you search for them. But I think the consensus is to put the cut off on the negative terminal. The thinking is not to extend the unfused positive leads in the case of a short.

2 - No, it doesn't matter in theory as you are breaking the circuit either way. Think of the circuit as a continuous loop.

A high-amp fuse at the positive battery terminal is another failsafe against catastrophic shorts. The Battleborn BMS has a surge protector (1/2 sec for loads over 200A) but I also have a 250A MRBF fuse between the battery and SafetyHub. Seems like a reasonable protection for the cost and size.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks!

Vanuber wrote:

1 - There are some other discussions on Samba about the negative v/s positive cutoff if you search for them. But I think the consensus is to put the cut off on the negative terminal. The thinking is not to extend the unfused positive leads in the case of a short.

2 - No, it doesn't matter in theory as you are breaking the circuit either way. Think of the circuit as a continuous loop.

A high-amp fuse at the positive battery terminal is another failsafe against catastrophic shorts. The Battleborn BMS has a surge protector (1/2 sec for loads over 200A) but I also have a 250A MRBF fuse between the battery and SafetyHub. Seems like a reasonable protection for the cost and size.

ethyl_on_the_road
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Hey Vanuber, super nice setup. Thanks for the in detail descriptions and documentation. I am wondering: can you still access the space behind the drivers seat with this setup or is the control panel blocking it permanently while in place? Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

ethyl_on_the_road wrote:
Hey Vanuber, super nice setup. Thanks for the in detail descriptions and documentation. I am wondering: can you still access the space behind the drivers seat with this setup or is the control panel blocking it permanently while in place? Thank you!

Hey Ethyl,

Not sure what space you are talking about... The driver's seat can no longer swivel 90 degrees toward the passenger seat. A bummer, but we never turned this seat anyway. The driver's side battery compartment is still accessible, though limited. There is space left between the control panel and the back of the seat to stow things and the seat can still slide all the way back.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
ethyl_on_the_road
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Thank you. I was talking about the battery compartment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
openroad65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Vanuber - great work as many have said. It's an impressive setup and an illustration of thoughtful and detailed craftsmanship in getting it put together.

I've been looking your desgn too long thinking about the safetyhub. If I'm right the only reason for using it is to keep less wires going to the positive of your battery. The solar, dc/dc and ac/dc units can all go to your aux battery postive terminal directly - no?. The problem is if you did, you'd simply have too much going to that terminal and the safetyhub keeps it clean and organized. Is that the idea? And I guess the other benefit is that you'd have each power source fused properly within that hub making it cleaner on that point as well.

If yes, then looking at the other side (from the saftetyhub to power consumers in the van), in theory you could simply buy a 12v fuse block. You'd not have the switches to turn off the fridge etc as you have, but otherwise it would function the same way. Correct? All the devices would trickle draw so you couldn't turn them off while the van was in use but otherwise could turn the whole van aux system ''off' at the aux battery shut off. Is that right too?

I've already bought most of the components but am just trying to understand how i could simplify the use of the safetyhub and a fuse block. I don't think I'll be adding a trickle charger to the setup nor porpex. But otherwise my system should be very similar.

My last thought is why did you opt for the CO2 detector you did vs a traditional house detector. Simply to not worry about replacing batteries every year?

Thanks in advance for your time. And again, very impressive.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

openroad65 wrote:
I've been looking your desgn too long thinking about the safetyhub. If I'm right the only reason for using it is to keep less wires going to the positive of your battery. The solar, dc/dc and ac/dc units can all go to your aux battery postive terminal directly - no?. The problem is if you did, you'd simply have too much going to that terminal and the safetyhub keeps it clean and organized. Is that the idea? And I guess the other benefit is that you'd have each power source fused properly within that hub making it cleaner on that point as well.

Exactly right. They are all just connecting to the battery positive terminal, but the Safety Hub allows for properly fused connections and clean cable routing.

openroad65 wrote:
If yes, then looking at the other side (from the saftetyhub to power consumers in the van), in theory you could simply buy a 12v fuse block. You'd not have the switches to turn off the fridge etc as you have, but otherwise it would function the same way. Correct? All the devices would trickle draw so you couldn't turn them off while the van was in use but otherwise could turn the whole van aux system ''off' at the aux battery shut off. Is that right too?

Yes, that would work too. The Blue Sea switch panel functions like a fuse block but uses breakers instead - each switch has a 15A breaker built in - allowing for on/off function.

openroad65 wrote:
I've already bought most of the components but am just trying to understand how i could simplify the use of the safetyhub and a fuse block. I don't think I'll be adding a trickle charger to the setup nor porpex. But otherwise my system should be very similar.

My last thought is why did you opt for the CO2 detector you did vs a traditional house detector. Simply to not worry about replacing batteries every year?

Yes, I wanted a hardwired CO/LP detector so I would not have to worry about batteries. These have to replaced every 5-7 years, FYI.

Thanks for your comments. Sounds like you are on the right path. Your choice of components really depends on the amp loads from your accessories. Typical fuse blocks like the Blue Sea ST Blade use ATO type fuses that rate up to 30A. For anything more than that, you need to use AMI fuses that handle 30-200A. The Safety Hub allows use of both fuse types in a relatively compact unit. If your loads require fuses 30A or less, then you can get away with a ATO-type fuse block only, saving some space (or inline fuses).

A rule of thumb on fuse selection is 1.5 x the load. So if you have a draw or input more than 20A, you will need to use AMI fuses (i.e. a 30A shore charger or DC|DC charger). You will also find, if you haven't already, that all of the wiring, fuses, switches, etc. take a lot of space, so plan accordingly.

This is a great resource for sizing your wiring - http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/newsletter/images/DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg

Good luck on your project!
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
openroad65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: One more auxiliary battery installation – ’85 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably come back to you with a few more questions as I get closer to assembly. Much appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: