Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removeable Apron
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Removeable Apron Reply with quote

Digging around here, wasn't able to find specifics on making a rear apron removable..

Seemed like just a matter of drilling some spot welds and pulling it off.
And it was! Very Happy

This car is a total Bondo bucket, is going to be driven by a high-school kid now,
And I'm getting SO sick of struggling with a late motor in an early compartment..!

I'll already say i don't know why i never did this mod before..!
If you have a car that's never going to be original again anyways like mine,
Do it.

Basically, you can make it so the two rear fender bolts at the beading pinch the apron into place.
Decided to weld up all of my drill holes, but you wouldn't even have to do that if you didn't want to.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Did the same for the car itself, fixed a stripped fender bolt, pklus welded in another to make the filter hanger as easy on/off vs. the two-wrench struggle it always was..

Once the hackery has been cleaned up and smoothed out, the apron can just slide into place.

A couple more holes to weld shut, and some paint touch-up, then the repair should be invisible from the outside of the car.

The only issue (and a question to any that have gone before),
Is how to deal with these two flappy bits on the inside of the compartment?

They have to be bent out of the way a little bit in order for the apron to slide on/off.

Thinking I'll just trim them down maybe an inch or so?
Maybe?

Anyone have some slick way to prevent having to bend things or chip the paint with every on/off?

Looking at the pics again, I'd love to get some seal channel and carb windows from Danny Gabbard and keep going with this project,
Especially since the paint gun is coming out,
But,
Like always,
This thing needs to go back together ASAP so it can be driven around and not just sit here in the way forever..! Evil or Very Mad

What’s That Noise?!?
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Removeable Apron Reply with quote

To be fair, you just need to keep triming the excess metal neatly until it fits.
The valance metal with the drill holes that fits inside the engine bay on both sides needs to come off
veltror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Removeable Apron Reply with quote

https://klaus-motoren.com/2016/03/27/zum-guten-schluss/

Do it the Klaus way
Don Jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Removeable Apron Reply with quote

When i did my removable apron, i bought a new one from CIP1 (Cal Look) without the exhaust notches.

I didn't want any screws / bolts in the engine bay so i put a rivet nut and s/s screw right where you have the rubber seal removed to hold down the top portion of the apron. This and the 2 fender bolts on both sides are enough to hold the apron in place.

For the lid seal, i bought the mexican lid seal from cip1. This seal attaches to the deck lid (slides on the lip). This is the way it should have always been. I removed the seal lip metal from the car as this is where rust starts.

When removing my apron i remove the fender bolts and (2) hold down screws and shift the apron up and angle the right side higher and right out.

I installed the danny gabbard weber windows also...used his aircraft rivets (wish they were a little longer), but it works. It's real good quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: