Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72' 1302 Project Build
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
typ_zwei
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

I dont post much but lurk alot, guess Ill start a log of my 1972 Super Beetle build. If youre a purist you might want to stop looking past this first post.

So the build is a 72' 1302, I've owned the car for about 5 years now and purchased it as a "basket case" no motor/no trans and not many other parts for $500. Overall it was fairly rust free and many metal bits had been replaced. I always had a vision for the overall car and the direction I wanted to take.
Fast forward to 2020 the COVID thing forced me to start actively working on the beetle. Prior to 2020 I did a few things here and there to get the car running and restored but nothing significant to warrant a build thread.

As of right now the car is on 4 wheels and the build moves on currently at a fairly moderate pace, I am going to post my one year progress up til now and continue on until its "complete" When is any build really complete? During the year with the help of my best friend we have restored the pan's, widened fenders front and rear, shaving many exterior metal bits, built coilovers,Rims, ragtop and procured an engine, trans and many other items and Mods.

I will do my best to document the past year up to now in the order that things happened. Thanks for checking my build out and sit back and wait for the updates to come.

The Photos below is the day we brought "Dumps" home. My daughter named it that day.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are the most current photos.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
treyg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

Nice! Fellow 1302 owner here. I havent looked into it really but how is the 5 lug conversion done? Adapters?
stewartsoda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

Hello from a fellow '72 1302 owner! Are you doing a flat-window German Look car? That's a combo you usually see on 1303s. I'm excited to see how it comes along!
typ_zwei
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

treyg wrote:
Nice! Fellow 1302 owner here. I havent looked into it really but how is the 5 lug conversion done? Adapters?

Its the Empi Disc brake kit with 5x130 and 5 lug chevy pattern.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
typ_zwei
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

stewartsoda wrote:
Hello from a fellow '72 1302 owner! Are you doing a flat-window German Look car? That's a combo you usually see on 1303s. I'm excited to see how it comes along!

stewartsoda, Yes I am doing a flat window GL, Thanks, Ill try to be diligent on updating the post, I really suck at forums, always too much other stuff to do in life.

You building one yourself?
typ_zwei
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

A little update from last week, Got the front fenders smoothed out and primered. Finger took a hit from the high speed DA, LOL. Great friends, Blood, sweat and beers is all a car build needs.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

2 SPLIT DOUBLE CABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky man!!! And even room to garage them!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
typ_zwei
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
2 SPLIT DOUBLE CABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky man!!! And even room to garage them!

Im lucky to have such a great best friend. All of it is my "brother from another mother"'s home shop. One DC is another friend's from NY getting some metal work done. The other is actually my buddies Binz.
typ_zwei
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

Small Update, Super Beetle Sunday Funday this weekend, Dissassembled fenders, mirrors, sidemarkers and ragtop from the car and started sanding the paint off the car. Progress is being made, body work to come next and paint soon. first two photos are what we started with and the wide view is right when we finished for the night.

clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

Looking good, the rear decklid looks cool with the middle vents filled. What kind of ragtop is that? Aftermarket or early VW rag grafted in? I like that you are making it your own, that is my plan as well!
typ_zwei
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

clockworkbox wrote:
Looking good, the rear decklid looks cool with the middle vents filled. What kind of ragtop is that? Aftermarket or early VW rag grafted in? I like that you are making it your own, that is my plan as well!

The Ragtop is a Britax style Three Fold, so aftermarket.
typ_zwei
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

Been a while since I posted on the car last. Primed and bodyworked then finally painted. Been assembling as parts come in due to supply chain issues in the world now. Moving forward but slowly. Loving how this has turned out so far and ready to finally see this car rollin around.

Hope ya'll enjoy.

typ_zwei
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

Looks nice !

Subscribed !

I always seem to leave a DNA sample on tons of stuff, too.

X2 on decklid ... never seen that one - kool !

Thanks for updates & really like that color !

stay safe(r) ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
waggss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

I'm sitting at work drooling over that color....
Keep up the good work and can't wait for updates.
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

I am wanting to possibly do a decklid like the way you did yours, with side vents running down the two sides. Do you have more photos or info on how you reworked yours?

I am know you cut out the middle vents from a Brazilian style decklid, but I am betting you shortened the width of the existing side ones as well?

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
typ_zwei
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

78BusGA wrote:
I am wanting to possibly do a decklid like the way you did yours, with side vents running down the two sides. Do you have more photos or info on how you reworked yours?

I am know you cut out the middle vents from a Brazilian style decklid, but I am betting you shortened the width of the existing side ones as well?

78BusGA, Let me look up some of my past photos. but what I did was cut out the two middle vents of a late model 4 vent and welded in some sheet metal and then of course body work. I did not modify the outer 2 vents.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

Really nice paint!!! So smooth!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

Just bumping your thread Bro to see if some new pictures fall out. I really like what you did with this car.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
BretzlifeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 72' 1302 Project Build Reply with quote

Great Build!! Following for inspiration!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: