Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

loloracks - bike rack
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

Does anyone here use a lolorack on their Vanagon. Here is a picture of one: https://www.google.com/search?q=loloracks+vanagon&...0QLmWQcWCM

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Curious to see if the hatch can open with it.

Last edited by TopBud on Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

If it's the first pic of the sky blue Westy - not a chance!
If you zoom in you can see this long support going all the way up to the handle bars.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
If you zoom in you can see this long support going all the way up to the handle bars.

It’s hinged.
Just a guess but the hatch probably opens given there seems to be adjustment in the length of the mount out of the receiver.
Nice rack, I like the way the bikes are mounted. Haven’t seen these before.
link is: http://www.loloracks.com
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

It’s hinged.
Just a guess but the hatch probably opens given there seems to be adjustment in the length of the mount out of the receiver.
Nice rack, I like the way the bikes are mounted. Haven’t seen these before.
link is: http://www.loloracks.com

I guess it might then! One of the website pics show an SUV with the hatch open.

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

I swear I saw a few more pics of this van on the Lolo website but can’t find them right now.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

it looks like a take on NSR...
https://northshoreracks.com/

Or Recon racks...
http://recon-racks.com/

Unfortunately, photos of the hatch open with these racks tipped are not easy to find.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

Thinking it would be great to help swing a hammock to a tree!

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

I've seen one on a van (not a vanagon) at The Shed, (Frederick Watershed) the local gravity trail area. Neat bike rack and certainly built sturdier than my Saris. I am considering this rack or the 1up rack so my friends and I have 1 more vehicle to do shuttle runs.

The one thing the Saris rack that does better than others is the integrated security. It stores steel cable inside the rack and with a click of a detent you can pull it out, wrap it through the bike, and click it into it's lock. But man, does the Saris bounce around on bumps. Not great to see my bike bouncing around looking like it's going to fly off the van. I'm going to keep it for road bike duty only.
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I've seen one on a van (not a vanagon) at The Shed, (Frederick Watershed) the local gravity trail area. Neat bike rack and certainly built sturdier than my Saris. I am considering this rack or the 1up rack so my friends and I have 1 more vehicle to do shuttle runs.

The one thing the Saris rack that does better than others is the integrated security. It stores steel cable inside the rack and with a click of a detent you can pull it out, wrap it through the bike, and click it into it's lock. But man, does the Saris bounce around on bumps. Not great to see my bike bouncing around looking like it's going to fly off the van. I'm going to keep it for road bike duty only.

I have a Kuat NV with the integrated locking cable that stows in the tray. And it doesn't bounce like my old Saris. I also have the upgraded GW bumper, which helps too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

I really like the Kuat NV but I can't find where it's made and that is starting to be more and more important to me. Did you see/notice where it was made?
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

I like this rack a lot. I am deciding between the one up and the loloracks. We have Surly bikes (ECR and an Ogre) with front racks and fenders. This doesn't block the taillights. The 1 up does. The 1 up tilts also but It may be difficult to access the hatch. I have seen this rack in town and love it. Ideally I'd want the RMW swing outs with 1 up racks, but that is a ton more money than I can spend. Lots of the other vertical racks listed can not accommodate front racks and fenders. Our bikes are touring bikes that we carry lots of stuff on. I emailed the people at Lolo racks asking about the specific Vanagon tail gate. It does hinge, I just need to make sure I can open the hatch. Thanks.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I really like the Kuat NV but I can't find where it's made and that is starting to be more and more important to me. Did you see/notice where it was made?

Two sources say Küat racks are made in China. 1UP is US made according to the article below.

I've had a Kuat NV rack for five years or so. It's awesome and heads and shoulders above Yakima and Thule racks. But it's also heavy and I'll say the 1UP hitch mount racks are a few steps ahead of Küat racks: they're a bit lighter and I really like the all-aluminum design. Last year we bought a bike rack for my SIL and we bought a 1UP hitch mount rack for a single bike (if you only need to carry one bike the 1UP is a clear winner because it's so compact).

Küat and 1UP both good midwestern companies (MO and WI), both truly improving on what was available before they started.

Quote:
Research and development takes place in Springfield, and manufacturing is handled in China and Taiwan. U.S. Product is shipped back to Kuat’s warehouse in Springfield, 4520 W. Kearney St., Ste. 100, and stored until distributed.

https://sbj.net/stories/kuat-racks-trailblazing-into-european-markets,3383

Quote:
For example, Kuat's Bill Kaufman submitted a letter to the USTR opposing the tariff. Kaufman said his company employs 27 people in Missouri and that all Kuat's tooling is held at its partner factory in China.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2018...IW-iC1Haf0

Quote:
Made In USA Bike Rack

https://gearjunkie.com/biking/1up-usa-quik-rack-bike-rack-review

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

Thanks Jim. It really looks like it'll be the 1UP even with their odd steel bar through the wheel security. That said, the rack is aluminum. That steel bar is harder to cut through than the legs. I guess I'll add a cable too.

TopBud wrote:
I emailed the people at Lolo racks asking about the specific Vanagon tail gate. It does hinge, I just need to make sure I can open the hatch. Thanks.

If you see the picture Rory posted, the rack tilts until the bike tires touch the ground. I can't imagine that it wouldn't clear. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I am sure it has more clearance than any other rack.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: lolorvacks - bike rack Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

If you see the picture Rory posted, the rack tilts until the bike tires touch the ground. I can't imagine that it wouldn't clear. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I am sure it has more clearance than any other rack.

I have a xl 29er with a pretty long seatpost and my hitch is below the bumper, but I think you’re right and the hatch would still open. Worst case, drop the post.

TopGun, post back when you hear from them about the vanagon setup!
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

Not a direct answer to the Lolo racks question, but a North Shore rack hinges out of the way easily to be able to open up the rear hatch. Also works with a swing away spare tire carrier and Gary Lee ladder with a bin on the fold down shelf.

Highly recommend a vertical carry style bike rack. I used a Fiamma hatch mounted rack for a few years and it just was not built for carrying two bikes on rough FSRs.
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

Looks like a nice rack. Very expensive. There is a swing away version, to answer the OP original question. That probably adds another $100 to the nearly $800 cost.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

The owner contacted me and it does allow access. HE did say that with the rack loaded, it is very difficult to lower, because of the weight.

That swing out rack adds $775 to the price Shocked

I think I am going a different route all together. I just verbally committed to buying a different bumper set up and will try to fabricate something that fits my needs, hopefully for way less than most price tags.

I really only need a rack to carry two bikes, but do not want to loose access to my hatch. I have an adventure wagon bed set up, and use the area under the bed for storage of things I need daily.

I was looking at this rack system or the 1 up. Ideally I wanted the RMW swing outs and the full switchback system then 1 up racks, but I cannot afford that. I'd rather spend the money on more important van items
I am sure I will post more ideas I have.
happy2CU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

!UP is a great rack, I know I've loved mine. Not cheap by any mean but cheaper than that lolo.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

I hear ya. Over 20+ years I used nearly every possible bike rack on the back of the van: a cheapo Hollywood rack; Yakima Q-Towers mounted to the hatch with Yakima tray racks; several hitch racks (Yakima, Küat); Fiamma rack with hatch struts to hold the hatch open with two bikes on it; and RMW Switchback swing outs with 1UP racks. In between I looked at Recon racks (local to me) and fabricating solutions as you're considering.

Hatch access is always a top priority for me and my recommendations are:

- $500: Fiamma rack with $60 of 250 psi struts (gas springs) from McMaster-Carr to hold the hatch open with 60 lbs of bikes on the rack. I really like the simplicity of the Fiamma with the added umph of the HD gas springs.
- $crazy$ to buy the RMW setup (which is awesome).

Fiamma...

Gas springs allowing hatch access (it requires a bit of a lift but I never feared for an injury)

Details here...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8579474

Good luck with the search. It's not easy.

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: