Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

loloracks - bike rack
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

I guess I don't quite get this. These cost a gillion dollars and you won't know if it fits your needs unless you pony up the big bucks. How tough can it be to design and weld up a swing out two or three bike rack or whatever you dream of? You can buy a used perfectly fine stick buz box for around $150. A bunch of steel for another hunnert, some rattle paint cans and you're outta there. If it isn't quite right, cut and paste until it is. Rough roads? Attach an aux mount point either to the hatch or high up on the corner. C'mon, guys. Use your imagination and improve everyones life by inspiring others. I used to teach welding in a sculpture studio at Bennington College for girls. It took them two minutes to figure it out and after that, it's just practice. A $19.95 grinder from HF will fix any beginner uglies. Go for it!!
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

When your bikes cost $5,000-8,000 each and you have 2 of them on there, it is hard to not exercise the most amount of caution possible. And the 6 bike rack with $30k hanging off the back of your van? You want it to be beefy, well designed, and you certainly don't want to cheap out.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

I found a used steel bumper with a swing out (custom made) locally for a great price. It's not the prettiest, but will get me going. I will then fabricate a bike rack and add another swing out for my needs. I just need to carry 2 bikes- expensive bikes. I travel lots of dirt roads and will try and try again, until it works best for my needs. The idea I have is very similar to the Fiamma tray rack, but lower on the van and on swing outs. I'd like to use 1 up racks, but they are not available for a few more weeks. I leave on a road trip on June 4th. I'd like everything squared away by then. I am inspired by others and hope to inspire others. Usually the route I go is, make your own, for way more money and time than buying an out of the box item. Isn't that the story of vanagons? Thanks. I'll keep this going.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

4 gears, that's why it's called R & D. If I had your bikes, I would go to the dump and salvage a couple, add some extra weight and go over the worst terrain I could find. When satisfied that the homebuilt unit was secure, I'd go back to the dump and redeposit the test units. But that's me and I like to solve problems, many of which aren't even problems to begin with. I like TopBud's approach. Hope he posts some pics.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

Duncan, I totally get it and I go that route a lot for myself. But when it comes to being responsible for other people's bikes I will spend the money to be extra cautious.

TopBud wrote:
Usually the route I go is, make your own, for way more money and time than buying an out of the box item. Isn't that the story of vanagons?

Laughing

Yes, very much so. But don't forget the icing on the cake, it's also not as good looking. I'd cry about how often I use that method if I weren't laughing at myself so much.
jacksonpm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

We put ours on the front to keep the rear hatch clear
This design doesn’t interfere with the spare tire carrier and is plenty stout for two bikes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

Whaddaya mean, not so good lookin'? That's why I make drawings and then a pine mockup and then a steel one which is the first of the prototype beginning. The great thing about steel is, it is infinitely plastic. By this I mean you can always cut some off and weld more back on until you have it right. Life is too short for ugly, so don't short yourself. How do you think the $$$$ racks got to be good looking? And by the way, paint it neutral as the bikes are the jewel in the case. Do you ever look at the case?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

DuncanS, I love your spirit, your heated steering wheel, your front bumper for US license plates, your Swiss Champ of a swiss army knife vanagon and everything else you bring.

I also love making meals: the planning, experimentation, successes, failures, enjoying, critiquing and trying again next time. But sometimes I just want to sit down in a restaurant, select some food off of the menu, contemplate my next van trip while the cook prepares my meal, then eat it when it's brought to me and pay for the good food and service on my way out.

I don't want to make every meal or buy every meal in a restaurant. A balanced mix is good for my brain, body and soul. Likewise, buying a complete and well engineered product for my Vanagon sometimes solves a problem while allowing me to think about the next Vanagon problem or change gears to build bird houses for the local Violet Green Swallows.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

I can't even imagine what I would do with a $5k to $8k bicycle. I recently bought my wife a $50 '93 Cannondale mountain bike, and she absolutely loves it. Different priorities.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

Jim--your description of make vs. buy was fabulous. I am a sailor and have found that chartering works well, but for me it's just not the same as being on your own boat surrounded by all the little mods and tweaks that makes life aboard so enjoyable. But you are right in that sometimes I'll spends dozens of hours making something which only gets use twice as it was't really that important. I'm hoping that going from tin top to tarp top won't be one of those times. Utility vs. beauty. Need vs. cost. Money vs. time. No matter what the situation, Nike has it right. just do it.

Duncan PS. Heated steering wheel comes off this weekend for the summer wheel.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

Don’t forget to add a Jerry can to the back so it looks like you can tell people you’ve travelled to exotic places, like Olive Garden
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Don’t forget to add a Jerry can to the back so it looks like you can tell people you’ve travelled to exotic places, like Olive Garden

Laughing Laughing Laughing
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

jacksonpm wrote:
We put ours on the front to keep the rear hatch clear
This design doesn’t interfere with the spare tire carrier and is plenty stout for two bikes

Can't/shouldn't put carbon frames on the front, as a stone bruise will write off the frame on the $5K-$8K bike. Works great for townies and commuters around the campsite though.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I can't even imagine what I would do with a $5k to $8k bicycle. I recently bought my wife a $50 '93 Cannondale mountain bike, and she absolutely loves it. Different priorities.

Different uses. Sure, $5-$8K you're paying for better suspension performance and possibly lighter components over a $3K bike, but a $50 90's hardtail would last about 100m of descent on proper bike trails nowadays before you taco'd a wheel or cracked the headtube.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

OK, so let's see. 100meters for $50--1000 for $500m--10,000 for $5000--$16,000 for $8,000. 6200 miles seems like quite a bit of off road biking to me, but I'm not a biker. But we are talking about the joy of having your own perfectly engineered item here, so it that's what trips your trigger, go for it.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

I didn't forget about this thread. I ended up picking up a used bumper. I will be modifying that to fit my needs of a bike rack. I am leaving on a trip on June 5th, so it will be done by then. I will post updates as I build. You guys gave me inspiration.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
I will post updates as I build. You guys gave me indigestion.
Thanks

FTFY. Wink

Looking forward to seeing your good work.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
carls2u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

Check out Velocirax out of utah. That is a pretty nice looking rack we saw while traveling there. www.velocirax.com It is a pretty versatile rack as you can use it for a bike stand, a wall rack, a car rack and it does allow pivot to be able to open the rear hatch. I saw a lolo on the back of a Sprinter van at Cycle Oregon in 2019. This Velocirax looks pretty nice too. So many choices to make....
Confused
And eternity in an hour.
'86 Westy
danielheff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

Has anyone put a Velocirax on their vanagon since the previous post? It's on my short list of options for carrying 4 bikes on an upcoming big road trip. It clearing the back hatch is fairly critical otherwise its main selling point is useless.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: loloracks - bike rack Reply with quote

I carry my E-bikes inside my Van. That's why they make Vans, for carrying things. That way they are not on display to theives and are protected from the weather and road grime. I made a rack with a couple of fork attachments and some 2 x 3's that I can pick up with 2 bikes on it and slide it inside. I cost me about $30.

BTW I also own two 3 Kuat racks for my other cars that won't hold my bikes inside.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: