Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 SB starterpack
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

First post, but been lurking for a long while. Admiring classic vws since I was a kid and squarebacks since I was teen. I finally pulled the trigger on one. I'm really hyped everytime I open my garage door and see it there. With that being said, the car runs but leaks hella oil. Hopefully I will get it running 100% sooner than later but does not have the original engine or tranny so it might take me longer than i thought. I'm not that mechanically knowledgeable but fixed my other newer vehicles. Hoping for the best , preparing for the worst.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Nahhhserio on Mon May 17, 2021 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Nice Squareback, It looks like it will be a nice project!

Just wondering, are you sure that is a 71 Squareback? The front end looks like it is a 69 and earlier.

Have fun!

Aiden
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Looks like an early squareback. If it is leaking all that oil. remove engine and repair it. Do obtain service manuals that is important to have.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Looks like your heater boxes are missing?
My wife didn't like riding in my Cold square until I got the heaters working!
It looks like a '69 model.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Description from owner;
"71 squareback with 69 front end conversion. 1835cc engine with freeway flyer transmission" I know freeway flyer means a lot of things or nothing. Might take it to vw mechanic here so he could tell me what's exactly in it, buy the manual and go from there.

Wiring seems poorly done. Rear turning signal works only on the right, brake lights don't work, fuel gage is stuck but i feel that comes with the territory.

It's not that bad of a leak. Seems to be coming from the sump plate. I also found the valve cover gaskets to be in bad condition. There is also oil in the dipstick area. Gasket looks shot to hell as well.
As of right know I'm going to adjust the valves, replace as many gaskets as i can and fix anything I can until i have to pull the motor out.

Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

I live in the desert ,summer average here is 100°f-110°f sometimes in peak 120. Winters are more like perfect days. Few days hittin 30° most in 49°-60° and last like 2 months if we are lucky.

Would i still need those?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Nahhhserio wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

I live in the desert ,summer average here is 100°f-110°f sometimes in peak 120. Winters are more like perfect days. Few days hittin 30° most in 49°-60° and last like 2 months if we are lucky.

You know of Any car built that doesn't come with a heater?
It is easy to adjust with the tunnel lever & you will use it.
It warms up Much quicker than my Dodge pickup too!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

You know of Any car built that doesn't come with a heater?
It is easy to adjust with the tunnel lever & you will use it.
It warms up Much quicker than my Dodge pickup too!

What's the general consensus on J-tubes? This would be temporary
Might have to wait on heater boxes for now.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

You have the heater boxes now, but you have to duct them to the exhaust & make sure your tunnel levers are hooked up to them.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

That's a crapton of non-stock wiring in front of the starter. Honked up starter relay?

Also, I'd block off the heater inlets to the body and also the HEs. Oil and dirt will get into your heater channels and muck up the HE air, should you use them later. Clever use of beer cans may do the trick here.

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

@KTPhil
I'm going to get the ducts and hook em up. Want to have it proper. I'm going to re do all the wiring man. I worked on pcbs and my soldering was average but i always had my wiring nice and tight.

@Mike Fisher
I feel dumb.
The repair manual and owners guide should be here this week. At least to have basic knowledge and understanding.

Was doing the valve adjustments and started second guessing myself. I guess I'm not used to work being so straightforward.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Going off your pics, I'd say your valve covers have been leaking for quite a while.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Nahhhserio wrote:
@KTPhil
I'm going to get the ducts and hook em up. Want to have it proper. I'm going to re do all the wiring man. I worked on pcbs and my soldering was average but i always had my wiring nice and tight.

@Mike Fisher
I feel dumb.
The repair manual and owners guide should be here this week. At least to have basic knowledge and understanding.

Was doing the valve adjustments and started second guessing myself. I guess I'm not used to work being so straightforward.

Cars take reading & hands on practice but you'll get the hang of it!
You can buy good high temperature orange heater ducting from www.aircraftspruce.com
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Going off your pics, I'd say your valve covers have been leaking for quite a while.

I bet they have...The PO said they needed a valve adjustment before he sold it to me. One valve cover had two gaskets in it. I added new cover gaskets but saw the valve cover vents need gaskets as well.

Funny i drove it today to check the oil. The left side of the engine compartment was smoking, I smelled burnt oil. I think it was oil dripping on the exhaust. The temp was at 220....not bad but, then again can't trust this gauge. The smoke stopped after 10 mins or so and i could keep my hand on the engine for a bit before it started feeling too hot to stay on it.

Bought new hoses and also bought a new shifter for it as well. This shifter has hella play on it. Almost as loose on 1st as neutral is.

Im really liking obsessing on this instead of skateboards and sneakers.
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:
@KTPhil
I

Cars take reading & hands on practice but you'll get the hang of it!
You can buy good high temperature orange heater ducting from www.aircraftspruce.com

Thanks for link!

Yes sir ,it does. Im hella excited.
I should've waited for an actual 69 though. Impulsiveness is my weakness.
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

I have no idea how i missed it. But major leak from pushrods and mimlr from breather box. I sure this is related to the car running hot. Still need to duct or block hoses. Rot in battery tray and same pan side rear seat. Flasher relay is clicking in an annoying patern. Gotta love it.

After 3 weeks from purchase date i finally got the Bentley manual.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

ISP West sells 1/4 pans for battery box/under seat repair if they are not sold out?
Your rear seat support/bulkhead you will have to patch at the bottom as they are All rusted off & NLA.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
ISP West sells 1/4 pans for battery box/under seat repair if they are not sold out?
Your rear seat support/bulkhead you will have to patch at the bottom as they are All rusted off & NLA.

I'm going to get the 1/2 panels for both sides. There's alot of rust. But not to the point where I'm surprised.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Nahhhserio wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

I'm going to get the 1/2 panels for both sides. There's alot of rust. But not to the point where I'm surprised.

I'd also order up a complete engine rebuild gasket kit from CIP (CIP1.com) for when you decide to pull the engine to fix the oil leaks.
Are you looking at doing full length pans? Or just half pans per side (1/4 pa sections)? Most here just replace the really rusty sections, and wire brush (powered if you want it clean) and put a coat of master series primer and paint on it. Very seldom do you see someone replace the entire pan half, but they do happen, now that there are Gerson floor panels for type 3s.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

I'd also order up a complete engine rebuild gasket kit from CIP (CIP1.com) for when you decide to pull the engine to fix the oil leaks.
Are you looking at doing full length pans? Or just half pans per side (1/4 pa sections)? Most here just replace the really rusty sections, and wire brush (powered if you want it clean) and put a coat of master series primer and paint on it. Very seldom do you see someone replace the entire pan half, but they do happen, now that there are Gerson floor panels for type 3s.

I'm going down to Baja. There's a couple of guys out there that do a lot of VW work to see how much they charge to get rid of the rot and install new panels. The panels are going to run me down 1k. The work should be 600 to 1k as well. I think i might keep the paint how it is seeing that it is frankensteined already Very Happy Want some of those Superior Turtle back wheels...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: