Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 SB starterpack
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

On another note, this bs happened today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm pissed. I did my 11 mile drive from work at 330am and everything was fine. Did not overheat or anything , but I checked underneath the car and saw the hose to the valve came off.... i wonder if any damge happened to the valves or engine... will check in the afternoon
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

The breather hose to the valve cover being disconnected shouldn't have hurt the engine if it still had oil in it when you got home?
I carry a quart of oil & ATF next to my spare tire with a long funnel & rags.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
The breather hose to the valve cover being disconnected shouldn't have hurt the engine if it still had oil in it when you got home?
I carry a quart of oil & ATF next to my spare tire with a long funnel & rags.

Still had oil so i should be in the clear.
Yes i carry 2 quarts of 20/50 especially since it leaks.
I talked to a VW mechanic of 30 something years and he told me if i want to use it as a daily driver i should stick a stock emgine in it and get and ditch the 1835.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Quote:
I talked to a VW mechanic of 30 something years and he told me if i want to use it as a daily driver i should stick a stock engine in it, and ditch the 1835.

what a load of crap, a properly build engine can be any size, and daily driven. The only advantage of the stock engine, is having a choke on the carbs to help the first 5 minutes of warm-up. My 3 season daily driver was a 1904cc 74x90.5 for several years, it was rebuilt to a 1968cc 74x92 last year with new heads and pistons, still a daily.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:
I talked to a VW mechanic of 30 something years and he told me if i want to use it as a daily driver i should stick a stock engine in it, and ditch the 1835.

what a load of crap, a properly build engine can be any size, and daily driven. The only advantage of the stock engine, is having a choke on the carbs to help the first 5 minutes of warm-up. My 3 season daily driver was a 1904cc 74x90.5 for several years, it was rebuilt to a 1968cc 74x92 last year with new heads and pistons, still a daily.

He said something along the lines of " your engine is going to leak no matter what, more than a stock."

I think he thought i meant completely eliminate leaks. Not the case. I just don't want my engine compartment oil stained and oil dripping on the heater boxes. Bought a gasket kit. Hopefully i do the work soon. If work a bit less in the upcoming weeks or i might have to use that precious PTO.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

If you get a gasket kit, and some curil, you could pull the engine and disassemble most of it in a day, and start putting it back together. Then put it back into the car over a weekend. Most here have done it themselves. It's really just some hand tools a roll or 2 of blue towels, some brake parts cleaner, and time. Some here have completely rebuilt their engines over a weekend. Just something to keep in mind.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
If you get a gasket kit, and some curil, you could pull the engine and disassemble most of it in a day, and start putting it back together. Then put it back into the car over a weekend. Most here have done it themselves. It's really just some hand tools a roll or 2 of blue towels, some brake parts cleaner, and time. Some here have completely rebuilt their engines over a weekend. Just something to keep in mind.

Got the gasket kit, need another jack for the tranny and maybe another jack stand.

Screw it I'm diving into this next week or in two. Got audits to prepare for all week so I'm pulling 14hr night shifts.
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Shifter link coupler came off while driving. Rolling Eyes
Just going to order a whole kit and cable. Was shifting good. Reverse was the only thing that kinda sucked would pop out 1/10 times. Also the door seems to be torn off for the coupler. I have no idea why this would need to be done.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Nahhhserio wrote:

Just going to order a whole kit and cable. Was shifting good. Reverse was the only thing that kinda sucked would pop out 1/10 times. Also the door seems to be torn off for the coupler. I have no idea why this would need to be done.

Looks like the PO made a mod to get better access to the coupler.
Keep in mind that after you fix it, that IF it keeps jumping out of reverse that the trans is on it's way out. I had that happen to me before, and the only fix was a trans replacement.
Ideally you want the rubber style coupler kit, versus the poly urethane kit.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:

Keep in mind that after you fix it, that IF it keeps jumping out of reverse that the trans is on it's way out. I had that happen to me before, and the only fix was a trans replacement.

I phrased that wrong. It doesnt pop out once it's in reverse it stays on there. Just have trouble putting it in reverse every once in a while. It doesnt engage is exactly what it is doing. Clutch maybe?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Nahhhserio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:

I phrased that wrong. It doesnt pop out once it's in reverse it stays on there. Just have trouble putting it in reverse every once in a while. It doesnt engage is exactly what it is doing. Clutch maybe?

Since the rubber blocks that fill up the sides of the coupler cage are missing, I'm surprised you can get any gears. To be honest, once you fix the coupler, you'll have to re-learn your shifting. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
[quote="[/img][/url]

Since the rubber blocks that fill up the sides of the coupler cage are missing, I'm surprised you can get any gears. To be honest, once you fix the coupler, you'll have to re-learn your shifting. Wink[/quote]

The screw went loose when i was driving. I couldn't find one of the blocks. Kinda bummed. Made in Gerrmany VW ones.
Also these two screws were missing.

BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Quote:
The screw went loose when i was driving. I couldn't find one of the blocks. Kinda bummed. Made in Gerrmany VW ones.

Those should be easy enough to replace, but make sure you get the proper Metric sizes. I'd bet money that the previous "mechanic" went to the local hardware store and decided that 5/16"-18 nylock nuts were close enough. I hope, for your sake, that he didn't try too hard to crank them tight.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
Quote:

Those should be easy enough to replace, but make sure you get the proper Metric sizes. I'd bet money that the previous "mechanic" went to the local hardware store and decided that 5/16"-18 nylock nuts were close enough. I hope, for your sake, that he didn't try too hard to crank them tight.
[/quote]

Going to get some lower profile nuts for both. Grab the full thread.
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

I'm a little confused on the wiring.

My emergency lights used to work, my left turning signal never did and my right turning signal works perfectly . Now my emergency ones don't work and i hear clicking from the relay. According to the bentley manual it seems the relay is good. May just be loose wiring or dirty connections. Im cleaning the connections as i write this.

The question is this relay has four prongs but in the bentley it shows the 1971 models having only 3 , should i base my work on the electronics on the 71 or 70?. The chassis number matches 1971 as well.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

The stock '71 Type 3 relay the works both turn signal and 4-way flashers is a simple, cheap, common unit you can buy at any FLAPS. It mounted by plugging into the relay/fusebox assembly. The one you are showing won't fit there.

'71 used a complex switch that was pretty reliable. Check the connectors on the switch you have and report the terminal numbers (or post a photo).

Disconnect the battery ground strap before doing this, since that switch has live terminals you don't want to short to ground.
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
The stock '71 Type 3 relay the works both turn signal and 4-way flashers is a simple, cheap, common unit you can buy at any FLAPS. It mounted by plugging into the relay/fusebox assembly. The one you are showing won't fit there.

'71 used a complex switch that was pretty reliable. Check the connectors on the switch you have and report the terminal numbers (or post a photo).

Disconnect the battery ground strap before doing this, since that switch has live terminals you don't want to short to ground.

Thats the fuse box and the relay i showed but wired up. Also when i signal to the right the dash lights show all the lights flashing even though only the right turning ones are. The front turning signals work accordingly.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

The Type 3 dash's turn signal indicator, though it uses two separate bulbs, operates both sides together, sort of like the Bug/Bus indicators.
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

This looks crappy. Damaged as you could see.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Yup, it's a goner. The ring on the back of the steering wheel is probably shot too judging be the hole in the finger.
About the only way to fix it is to use the turn signal switch from a 72-73, as the 71 is a 1 year only part. The 72-73 version usually has the wiper switch assembly with it (uses longer metal sleeves and screws to hold it in place). You use the shorter 71 and earlier sleeves and screws to hold the 72-73 assembly in place on your 71.
The other option is to use the 68-70 unit and have no horn (what those brass/copper wipers are for).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: