Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 SB starterpack
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

That's what I'd probably would do. Looks like #3 got hot, as the rings got stuck in the piston, which scored the cylinder.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
That's what I'd probably would do. Looks like #3 got hot, as the rings got stuck in the piston, which scored the cylinder.

Im certain this was my leak now. The heads don't look cracked just dirty.

You think this would have caused damage to the crankshaft as well?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Nahhhserio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Probably not. But bearings are cheap, and a good machinist can tell you if the journals need polishing. I've done that before on a VW Thing engine that had been sitting partly apart for 10 years.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Probably not. But bearings are cheap, and a good machinist can tell you if the journals need polishing. I've done that before on a VW Thing engine that had been sitting partly apart for 10 years.

Cool. I was/am nervous about splitting the case, the case itself looks in good shape still. Im going to go ahead and strip the engine down and take it to the VW guy here. That way he can do that work inside the case and it doesn't burn a hole in my pocket.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Nahhhserio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Cool. I was/am nervous about splitting the case, the case itself looks in good shape still. Im going to go ahead and strip the engine down and take it to the VW guy here. That way he can do that work inside the case and it doesn't burn a hole in my pocket.

Sounds like a good plan. If possible, see if you can watch/help him tear it down, that way you can familiarize yourself with what's going on in there. Also judging by how wet with oil that case was, I'd split it, and seal it up while I was in there. As Russ used to say, VW's aren't suppose to mark their spot.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

l?

Sounds like a good plan. If possible, see if you can watch/help him tear it down, that way you can familiarize yourself with what's going on in there. Also judging by how wet with oil that case was, I'd split it, and seal it up while I was in there. As Russ used to say, VW's aren't suppose to mark their spot.

I've always heard the term "vws love to mark their territory" i rather they not ha!
I have not been to the mechanic yet . Still need to take off the fan so at the shop at work I'm going to make a handle with holes for bolts to pull it off. I'm not cheap I promise, just broke. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are these heater boxes still good? I tried to clean them to get a better shot but i seems to have been getting leaked on for decades. Some of the ceramic is falling out of it too.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

It looks like your heater boxes are rotted out a bit. I would save them as they aren’t super easy to find and the original set up with the heat wrap will blow 200+ degree air out of the dash vents. Maybe try patching them.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

careful handling thos as they are wrapped in asbestos which can cause cancer Wink
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

@andybla damn. I eat mcdonalds so i should be set on that anyways. Jokes aside thanks for the heads up.

@ceckert64 I should try to fix them since i want them. Don't really need them though for the one month that ot gets cold here. Twisted Evil
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
careful handling thos as they are wrapped in asbestos which can cause cancer Wink

Good news is that it isn’t asbestos and it’s been tested https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=733647&highlight=heater+box+wrap+asbestos
But none the less, it’s still probably better to be safe.

I didn’t think about that, but it would help with foggy windows. I need my heat when it’s -5 degrees Fahrenheit out in the winter (only that cold for one drive) and it gets cold here often. If you are not overly concerned about having heat you could even just use a high temp sealant over the holes.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
andybla wrote:

Good news is that it isn’t asbestos and it’s been tested https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=733647&highlight=heater+box+wrap+asbestos
But none the less, it’s still probably better to be safe.

I didn’t think about that, but it would help with foggy windows. I need my heat when it’s -5 degrees Fahrenheit out in the winter (only that cold for one drive) and it gets cold here often. If you are not overly concerned about having heat you could even just use a high temp sealant over the holes.

I was thinking about high temp sealant to fix the holes too.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Get rid of the Fugly wrapping! Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

Might not be a bad idea, that way you can see how much rust out is hiding in the longer sections. For the smaller holes I'd either go high temp silicone, or patch it up with some left over aluminum from doing the lower part. Cut the pieces to fit, then silicone them in place (like up near the exhaust port on that one. It probably won't be permanent, but it'll buy you time until you can find another set of t-3 ones.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Might not be a bad idea, that way you can see how much rust out is hiding in the longer sections. For the smaller holes I'd either go high temp silicone, or patch it up with some left over aluminum from doing the lower part. Cut the pieces to fit, then silicone them in place (like up near the exhaust port on that one. It probably won't be permanent, but it'll buy you time until you can find another set of t-3 ones.

So heater boxes are not supposed to be wrapped Shocked !!!!

I been looking into them the past 2 days and comparing pictures of repos and ogs side by side. I wanted to go with J tubes since my heater channels are rusted bad. But i just would like to have them on. They look cool.

Also if i put them back on and connect them to the fan shroud but do not connect them heater outlets to the car will it let the hot air out to the engine?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Quote:

stock T3 heater boxes were wrapped from the factory, it was a lamination of steel mesh, fiberglass and paint. they usually got pretty gross over the years with oil and dirt caked gunk

mine are wrapped in a modern equivalent , thin aluminum sheet, and fiberglass mat

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:

stock T3 heater boxes were wrapped from the factory, it was a lamination of steel mesh, fiberglass and paint. they usually got pretty gross over the years with oil and dirt caked gunk
[img]img]

mine are wrapped in a modern equivalent , thin aluminum sheet, and fiberglass mat
503.jpg[/img]

Looks nice. Might go with that.
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

1&2 don't look as bad as 3&4

Also head 3&4 were missing this little piece
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Nahhhserio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

I been looking into them the past 2 days and comparing pictures of repos and ogs side by side. I wanted to go with J tubes since my heater channels are rusted bad. But i just would like to have them on. They look cool.

Also if i put them back on and connect them to the fan shroud but do not connect them heater outlets to the car will it let the hot air out to the engine?

They are supposed to be wrapped as that keeps the heat inside them (to warm the passenger compartment).
Yes, the heat exchangers help pull heat out of the heads, and if not hooked up to the body side should dump out under the car in front of the engine. The louvers on the car are where the engine draws in cooling air, so it should be fine. In fact the heat exchanger has a flap that opens when the heat is turned off (dumps it in front of the engine when open), which is basically doing what you want to do.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

They are supposed to be wrapped as that keeps the heat inside them (to warm the passenger compartment).
Yes, the heat exchangers help pull heat out of the heads, and if not hooked up to the body side should dump out under the car in front of the engine. The louvers on the car are where the engine draws in cooling air, so it should be fine. In fact the heat exchanger has a flap that opens when the heat is turned off (dumps it in front of the engine when open), which is basically doing what you want to do.

Cool, that was my only doubt about hooking them up to the fan shroud.
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

My heads leak fuel. Not good and whats up with the crusty one , what could have caused that or does it look like a crappy rebuild?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: