Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a new rubber for my shocks
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdk_1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Installing a new rubber for my shocks Reply with quote

I have an early 51 split that still uses the following construction for the shock absorber:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rubber from part 37 (link eye for shock absorder - part 11 512 419) is completely worn out.

Does anyone know where to order a new one? I have a repair manual from a 1952 model and it already has a different construction, so I guess it will be hard to find. I guess the next best option is to install new rubber in the existing part?
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a new rubber for my shocks Reply with quote

Jacek in Poland sells them for around 7 euros:

http://ww2vw.com/rubber-bushings-for-rear-shock-absorber/

Simple enough to change, and reuse the central metal spacer bush.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a new rubber for my shocks Reply with quote

He’s out of stock. I tried to purchase some last week. I am going to try locally and then publish the part number on here.

BR,

Rob
rdk_1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a new rubber for my shocks Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Jacek in Poland sells them for around 7 euros:

http://ww2vw.com/rubber-bushings-for-rear-shock-absorber/

Simple enough to change, and reuse the central metal spacer bush.

Thanks for your reply. I'll contact him and hope he can deliver soon. It doesn't feel good to drive around with this rubber bushing. I hit a bump in the road and I almost lost control, because the car start to shake very abrupt and wasn't easy to get back under control.
rdk_1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a new rubber for my shocks Reply with quote

Hawker wrote:
He’s out of stock. I tried to purchase some last week. I am going to try locally and then publish the part number on here.

Thanks for your information. Didn't know about this shop. My parts manual states that part 40 (the rubber bushing) is used 4 times on the car. Is the same bushing used both in part 33 and part 37 (see pictures in my starting post)? If so, then I'll replace all four rubbers...
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a new rubber for my shocks Reply with quote

Hello again. The parts manual diagram you replicate further up the page isn't very clear when it comes to understanding what's going on with the lever shocker rubber bushes.

The eye bolt shown as item 37 doesn't show a rubber bush or sleeve running through it, and you could be forgiven for thinking that it either it doesn't have this, or that it comes as a complete unit, and has to be replaced as one unit.

If I look in my parts manual, it states that you need 4 of these rubber bushes 111-413-381 for a car, and so implies that there is no difference between top and bottom bushes. Experience tells me that this isn't always true, especially at the eye bolt end of things.

I've collected many different lever shocker parts and bushes over the years, and differences do exist, particularly with the rubber bushes themselves, as you can see below.

In my view, it's best to have bushes with a thrust face on them if possible, (See end of lever, middle left, in 2nd picture) so as to minimise sideways movement, with the proviso that these are 1) Lubricated with silicone grease on assembly, & 2) Not pinched tightly against the inner faces of the double U shaped links (or double strap of later splits), so that they aren't pinched, and allow for some movement.

You can see from the eyebolt in your picture at the top of the page, that this rubber face has worn away, and is allowing a greater degree of sideways movement than is desirable, and isn't helping the driving characteristics of the car.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rdk_1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a new rubber for my shocks Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Hello again. The parts manual diagram you replicate further up the page isn't very clear when it comes to understanding what's going on with the lever shocker rubber bushes.

Thanks for your very thorough explanation. Highly appreciated! I did get my rubber bushings from WW2VW and they fit perfectly. To my surprise, the right shock doesn't have a metal cilinder in the rubber bushing, so I have to find one and install it. This part hasn't been opened for the last 20 years, so it has never been there. Strangely the other rubber was trash...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: