Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper Safety Reinforcement Bar: '68-'69 vs '70-'73 Differences?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Bumper Safety Reinforcement Bar: '68-'69 vs '70-'73 Differences? Reply with quote

Does anyone know the difference between an early reinforcement bar ('68-'69) versus a later one ('70-'73)? Are they swappable?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Safety Reinforcement Bar: '68-'69 vs '70-'73 Differences? Reply with quote

As far as I know they are swapable. Without looking in the parts book that is.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Safety Reinforcement Bar: '68-'69 vs '70-'73 Differences? Reply with quote

Parts book suggests they are different, starting in '70:

311 805 693
Support - Bumper, front
from Ch. No. 318 000 001 to 319 500 000

311 805 693 A
Support - Bumper, front
from Ch. No. 310 2000 001
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Safety Reinforcement Bar: '68-'69 vs '70-'73 Differences? Reply with quote

The reason for my question is that I am performing an early bumper to late body conversion.

I managed to modify the brackets with some bending/welding and they fit fairly well.
However, the preexisting reinforcement bar is preventing the bumper brackets from fully reaching the mounting points - even when everything is slid way up against the car.

On the '70 reinforcement bumper, I bent the protruding sheet metal tabs where the screw normally attaches to the old bumper - this gave me some extra movement, but not enough.

Are the early style reinforcement bumpers narrower? shorter? They obviously worked on the '68-'69 models, I just don't know if they are compatible with the later body styles and if this would solve my problem.

Thanks!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Safety Reinforcement Bar: '68-'69 vs '70-'73 Differences? Reply with quote

knewknew wrote:
The reason for my question is that I am performing an early bumper to late body conversion.

I managed to modify the brackets with some bending/welding and they fit fairly well.
However, the preexisting reinforcement bar is preventing the bumper brackets from fully reaching the mounting points - even when everything is slid way up against the car.

On the '70 reinforcement bumper, I bent the protruding sheet metal tabs where the screw normally attaches to the old bumper - this gave me some extra movement, but not enough.

Are the early style reinforcement bumpers narrower? shorter? They obviously worked on the '68-'69 models, I just don't know if they are compatible with the later body styles and if this would solve my problem.

Thanks!

If I had to guess, I'd say the legs are probably shorter going off what you're saying. I don't have a 69 bumper reinforcement here, so I really don't know what's different (sold my 69 Square over 10 years ago).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Roadbeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Safety Reinforcement Bar: '68-'69 vs '70-'73 Differences? Reply with quote

I looked in my parts stash today, the later ones have longer legs than the early ones.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: