Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 34 Viability: Input and Advice Please
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Type 34 Viability: Input and Advice Please Reply with quote

Hello Type 34 cousins. In my 30+ years of Volkswagening, I've owned an L41 Black '67 Fastback and Marina Blue '71 & Brilliant Orange '73 Squarebacks.

I have always wanted to own a Type 34 Ghia and I don't mean this casually. They are physically beautiful and certainly one of the most unique cars still in existence. I may have the opportunity to have one and rather than wait until it may happen, I want to be prepared to dive headlong into parts gathering, in preparation for a full restoration. I want to be as knowledgeable as possible on the viability of Type 34 ownership.

I know parts are rare for the T3 Ghia, but I need a real sense of how difficult a time I'd have finding what I need. I've checked ISP West's site and the usual aftermarket leaders. To the best of my knowledge, the T3 Ghia in question is complete, running and in decent shape, but needs to be restored. In my experience, the rarer the VW, the more one must be as crafty as a wolf to eke out what is needed.

Here are items I'd be looking for immediately, if the deal goes through:

Amber & red tail light lenses
New turn signal lenses & side marker lenses
German square weave carpet
Door/trunk/decklid seals
Window seals & chrome molding (looks like ISP West has this covered)
Side view mirror
Battery tray repair panel
Window scrapers
Spare tire repair metal (is this the same as other T3s?)
My assumption is that nobody reproduces the upholstery or colored floor mats/shift boots, etc., but if any of you know any differently, please let me know.
Are suspension parts the same as other Type 3s; such as shocks, steering dampener, etc.?

If there are any other thoughts you experienced owners may have or ownership observations you have made in your own Type 34 journey, please feel free to share them here. I am not a fan of anxiety inducing surprises, so I prefer to go into this fully aware. Thank you in advance.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Viability: Input and Advice Please Reply with quote

Having restored a few of those, they are easy to restore but require $$$, there are tons of parts out there, but few of us hoard them. I am currently working on a '63. Just waiting for my body and paint guy. Rubber is easily acquired from Thailand or ISP west, upholstery can be found at SMS. If it's a complete car, reuse everything you can. As you find better items, replace accordingly. It took me almost 20 yrs to restore a '65 sunroof squareback with most NOS parts, but a year to find type 34 parts an all 3 that I have owned.

Always Glad to help.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Viability: Input and Advice Please Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS, that is all sound advice and insight; the sort of response I was hoping for.

I have a '74 Sun Bug and finding extremely rare parts is cause for celebration. As I have found rare parts, I've done my best to have someone reproduce them for the masses, so that they are no longer on the verge of extinction.

Twenty years to restore a '65 T34 sunroof model?! Did they throw a parade for you when you were finished? Amazing. I have such respect for that sort of dedication, but in the case of T34s, that is what is needed.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Viability: Input and Advice Please Reply with quote

Type 34's are fun to drive, they look so elegant and stylish. Hope you get yours and enjoy it. BTW, they are way up there in price at this moment.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Viability: Input and Advice Please Reply with quote

Thank you much, ALLWAGONS. In my experience, they've never been down in price. Ha! The few I have ever been close to discussing buying have been prohibitively expensive, but that is a testament to their rarity.

In the T34 family, do people ever swap cars? I ask because the T34 I'm considering is Bermuda Blue/Cobalt Blue and despite admitting that these are beautiful colors, blue is not a color I have ever chosen for a car. I prefer greens, browns, red, black, but not blue, silver/grey, white. If I were to get this T34 and restore it, do you think there are other owners out there who may love Bermuda/Cobalt and trade? Being an early Bus driver for most of my life, those of us in that family often traded for each other's Buses.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Viability: Input and Advice Please Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Hello Type 34 cousins. In my 30+ years of Volkswagening, I've owned an L41 Black '67 Fastback and Marina Blue '71 & Brilliant Orange '73 Squarebacks.

I have always wanted to own a Type 34 Ghia and I don't mean this casually. They are physically beautiful and certainly one of the most unique cars still in existence. I may have the opportunity to have one and rather than wait until it may happen, I want to be prepared to dive headlong into parts gathering, in preparation for a full restoration. I want to be as knowledgeable as possible on the viability of Type 34 ownership.

I know parts are rare for the T3 Ghia, but I need a real sense of how difficult a time I'd have finding what I need. I've checked ISP West's site and the usual aftermarket leaders. To the best of my knowledge, the T3 Ghia in question is complete, running and in decent shape, but needs to be restored. In my experience, the rarer the VW, the more one must be as crafty as a wolf to eke out what is needed.

Here are items I'd be looking for immediately, if the deal goes through:

Amber & red tail light lenses
New turn signal lenses & side marker lenses
German square weave carpet
Door/trunk/decklid seals
Window seals & chrome molding (looks like ISP West has this covered)
Side view mirror
Battery tray repair panel
Window scrapers
Spare tire repair metal (is this the same as other T3s?)
My assumption is that nobody reproduces the upholstery or colored floor mats/shift boots, etc., but if any of you know any differently, please let me know.
Are suspension parts the same as other Type 3s; such as shocks, steering dampener, etc.?

If there are any other thoughts you experienced owners may have or ownership observations you have made in your own Type 34 journey, please feel free to share them here. I am not a fan of anxiety inducing surprises, so I prefer to go into this fully aware. Thank you in advance.

Please keep in mind that a T-34 only shares it's pan and running gear with a type 3.
That said, what year T-34 are you looking to buy? I'm only asking, as parts for the earlier cars (61-64) are harder to find, versus the later cars (65-69). And AT cars are a little bit more of a challenge. Look at the link in my signature of my 64 T-34 that I did about 10 years ago. In it you'll find some of the problems I had to deal with. Keep in mind that I'd already rebuilt 2 Notchbacks and a Fastback before I even thought of doing a T-34. It took me 2 solid years to do it too, versus 1 year on each Notchback.
The best advice I can give is to find the most complete, unmolested car you can afford, as it'll save you money in the long run. Another is to not throw away anything, until the replacement part is installed and working correctly. Keep in mind that the T-34 is only the body, and some small parts of it are shared with a T-1 Ghia. By body, I mean the part that bolts to the floor pan. The pan itself uses standard type 3 parts only, except the steering box and the transmission. Meaning the brakes are type 3 only.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Viability: Input and Advice Please Reply with quote

Bobnotch,

Thank you very much for your input. This helps and I will check out your link.

The one I am considering is a 1965 manual shift.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Viability: Input and Advice Please Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Bobnotch,

Thank you very much for your input. This helps and I will check out your link.

The one I am considering is a 1965 manual shift.

OK, so be aware that some bits are "new" for 65 on the T-34 (like the speedo unit). However some bits are carried over from 64 like the door/upper window seals. You might want to get with Pedro, Jason, Jack, or Lee. Currently Pedro and Lee are working on Lee's 62 T-34, and Jason is working on a 64 T-34.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 34 Viability: Input and Advice Please Reply with quote

All good advice provided so far from experienced owners. Getting a complete one, having good contacts, being tenacious at finding what you're missing, and not being in a rush to get it done. It may never be "done" but rather a work in progress while you drive & enjoy it.

The only thing I can add is to have an expert evaluate the specific T34 you plan to purchase BEFORE you buy it. Experienced eyes can help you identify issues that you may miss.

LEE
760 845 8447
San Diego CA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: