Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

judging from the photos, my bus was very much in the 'mikedjames' category of bus when I bought it...........which is several steps above yours. It was fairly well eaten on the bottom all the way around.

look here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659925&highlight=

My bus looks pretty good in the first few photos.
But..............................

My bus was nearly 2 years in the body shop and I will not tell you how much it cost. But a lot of labor can be used up in two years.

My advice.....listen to the advice you have been given
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

SLVRSRFR wrote:
Getting that thing on the road safely is going take years of work and thousands and thousands of dollars...
Buy something like this and get it shipped to you, then use yours for engine/trans/parts...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2467000
The front end damage would be much easier to fix compared to all that rust and rot.

Do this ^^^^^^

I restored a rusty east coast bus. I spent that much on body panels from Alan H Schofield.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

I’ll agree with everyone here. Living in the rusty north, what we think of “too rusted” to touch is different than say Arizona, and man, that’s too rusted to fix and still be able to eat. Pick it up cheap, strip the good stuff off it. Use the carcass to learn how to weld. Watch for a stripped shell to use as a platform for your bus. I know Randy’s up here in Maine had some sitting around, not sure if he would part with them but pretty sure everything he has, has a price if pushed. What you don’t want to do is disappear out of deflated hopes. Stick around, network with people, learn. You’d be surprised at the helpfulness and generosity of the people here. Your bus is out there someplace waiting for you. This one just isn’t it.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jrh5r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

I’ll try to give you boost of encouragement. Anything is possible with enough money. My parents had been saving their 73 bay for me since I was a child. I am literally just finishing it up. It’s out of paint. Reassembled everything. I did all of the body work myself, rebuilt the engine, etc. This gal looks pretty rusty at some critical points, but almost any thing is fixable. Dig deep and save up. Learn how to do bodywork and engine work, that’ll go far. I can’t emphasize enough, plan to spend a lot of money and time. My project is over and I’d do it again. Cheers and good luck
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
I’ll agree with everyone here. Living in the rusty north, what we think of “too rusted” to touch is different than say Arizona, and man, that’s too rusted to fix

well said. even us salty New Englanders know when to say when. i just don't want to see the guy get buried.

yes it could be fixed but why bother when a nicer starting point can be had for not much more money

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

I bought a bus for £6000

Spent £5000 on the bottom 6 inches - professional
Spent £1000 on a recon engine - DIY build
Spent £4500 on the rockers a few years later - professional
Spent £2500 on a new engine - professional build
Spent £1000 on the nose this year - DIY job
And probably another £5000 on passing MOT annual inspections in the UK.

Its worth .. maybe £12000 now.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

Executive summary

It seems like a lot of beginners have a time/ money swap mentality, that is, somehow you can fix RustyBus cheaply with considerable time invested.

This is refuted by experience. You need both time and money, $x0,000s , to fix a rust bucket.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

And also a place to store the bus and valuable tools while you work on it, or neighbours and weather conditions that are tolerant if you work outside.

The number of residents rules I broke fixing my bus is fairly large. Fortunately all my neighbours also break them.

A fair number of people manage to grind down relationships with neigbours as they get through angle grinder disks outside.

Fortunately I managed to avoid these two :

* No hovercraft. ( I live on the site of an Avro factory where all kinds of aviation wierdness appeared - a succesful autogyro was prototyped here for instance) . 11 years ago they hauled a Catalina up a nearby flying boat slipway from the sea after it crashed ..
    * No Keeping poultry

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason0115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Watch for a stripped shell to use as a platform for your bus.

Thanks for the insight I think that's just what I'll do. Try and get myself out there and come across a bus I can work with that has a solid frame.
Jason0115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

Jrh5r wrote:
I’ll try to give you boost of encouragement. Anything is possible with enough money. My parents had been saving their 73 bay for me since I was a child. I am literally just finishing it up. It’s out of paint. Reassembled everything. I did all of the body work myself, rebuilt the engine, etc. This gal looks pretty rusty at some critical points, but almost any thing is fixable. Dig deep and save up. Learn how to do bodywork and engine work, that’ll go far. I can’t emphasize enough, plan to spend a lot of money and time. My project is over and I’d do it again. Cheers and good luck

Thanks for the encouragement! It would be cool to see some pics of your bus.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
And also a place to store the bus and valuable tools while you work on it, or neighbours and weather conditions that are tolerant if you work outside.

The number of residents rules I broke fixing my bus is fairly large. Fortunately all my neighbours also break them.

A fair number of people manage to grind down relationships with neigbours as they get through angle grinder disks outside.

Fortunately I managed to avoid these two :

* No hovercraft. ( I live on the site of an Avro factory where all kinds of aviation wierdness appeared - a succesful autogyro was prototyped here for instance) . 11 years ago they hauled a Catalina up a nearby flying boat slipway from the sea after it crashed ..
    * No Keeping poultry

( warms my heart) Southampton was my last view of the UK when I emigrated to the US 100 years ago...
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

( warms my heart) Southampton was my last view of the UK when I emigrated to the US 100 years ago...

Damn, you are ancient! How it it you still drive and wrench?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

I have a picture of me in my Bus in the attic, in code L666, Dorian Gray
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

LOL
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Really? That’s Wilde!
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

Agree with everyone else, that’s definitely a parts bus. Take out the interior, ask the parents if you can store it in the rafters of their garage or attic. Pull the motor and Transmission and take it apart learn from there.

I recently bought a bus off the side of the road, was in decent shape so I fixed it up. Lemme give you an idea of some of the costs I had:
Bus-$1300
Brake components - $700
Rear backing plates - $80
Shocks - $120
Brazilian pistons and cylinders - $800
Rebuilt heads - $750
Engine parts, seals, gaskets, and FI components - $900
Rebuild Bosch Glenn Ring Distributor - $200
New Bosch alternator - $140
New tires - $450
New wheel bearings - $80
New cvs and axles - $225
New gas tank - $220
New gas tank hoses and fuel line - $120
New battery - $120

And this is with no rust repair. Expect another few thousand for taking care of the rusty parts.

Do yourself a favor and save up for a decent bus that’s not a rusty basket case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UZ-D98PCUucII0hZjxOPU9TS-iMKvmZk/view

This photo tells the whole story.

I agree with Skills, this is a parts bus. This one is not economical to repair.

Strip it for every usable or sellable part, and find a more solid shell.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Really? That’s Wilde!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

Jason0115 wrote:

I will definitely not just try and start it. I think I will just get what I NEED to see if it starts, I have to be warry of how much $ I put in if it will end up being a parts bus.

Keep in mind that even though this is clearly a parts bus, it might still be worth putting a bit of time and money into that engine. It's a gamble, but if you're a gambling man, it could pay off for you. Depending on local values and prices, a non-running engine could be worth $100, but a proven running engine with compression and oil pressure numbers could be worth 10x that. If you're looking to maximize profit, spending some time and money might pay off. Or you might lose.

Although, it probably depends a lot on your skill set, as well as tools and parts you have on hand. If you have to go out and buy a compression tester, fuel line, oil, etc, it might not be worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason0115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing my bus project help (1975 Westy) rust, engine, etc. Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
Agree with everyone else, that’s definitely a parts bus. Take out the interior, ask the parents if you can store it in the rafters of their garage or attic. Pull the motor and Transmission and take it apart learn from there.

Thanks for sharing the pricing for your project. How did you come across the bus on the side of the road? Just luck?

That's what I'll do...buy this for parts, learn on the engine, and find a bus with a better frame and body, do any swaps I need. I feel like my best bet will be another barn find $$ wise.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: