Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Reservoir Upgrade
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Brake Reservoir Upgrade Reply with quote

The po of my 73 Thing let brake fluid leak everywhere and eat up the paint. I’m going to repaint the trunk and am not really wanting to re use the stock location again. I have a German master cylinder so the typical EMPI reservoir that sit on top of the MC won’t fit. I thought about putting the stock reservoir in the spot that an early Bug has it. But the angle of the outlet tubes isn’t really right for that. Wolfsburg West makes a 67 Bug reservoir but the outlets are too small, and I’ve had bad luck with them in the past. The outlet nuts strip easily. So now I’m contemplating a Baywindow reservoir that sits on the MC, and connecting an aluminum universal single one in the Early Bug location connected to the Bus one on the MC. Has anyone here done anything different?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Reservoir Upgrade Reply with quote

Wish I had some advise.

Yep, it sucks when there is a leak in the trunk then there goes the paint.

What are you going with your engine and tranny set up for your Thing? If they turn out anything like your bugs I am sure it will be nice.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Reservoir Upgrade Reply with quote

Well thanks for the compliments. The current plan is to build a beefed up 3.88 Type 1 gearbox, and a mild 1968cc motor with an aluminum case, 110 cam, mild ported and medium valve heads, and a set of 40 Dellorto’s. I’m trying to be patient. But I’m really looking forward to driving it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Reservoir Upgrade Reply with quote

Actually you could use any brake reservoir, ATE makes them in various sizes etc, on my type 3 i'm going for a bmw one (310041 03.3508-5951.3)
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Reservoir Upgrade Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
Actually you could use any brake reservoir, ATE makes them in various sizes etc, on my type 3 i'm going for a bmw one (310041 03.3508-5951.3)

Isn’t that one a remote reservoir? I looked it up and it looks like it would be thought to mount. Where were you thinking on putting it?
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Reservoir Upgrade Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
andybla wrote:

Isn’t that one a remote reservoir? I looked it up and it looks like it would be thought to mount. Where were you thinking on putting it?

Ok excuse me, i thought i read you wanted for a remote reservoir

i'm going to hook it up at the original place, original was also single circuit, this one double, it's about 5,11 inch high

you can ggl "ate brake fluid reservoir" and it will show you all kinds Smile

Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Reservoir Upgrade Reply with quote

Ok excuse me, i thought i read you wanted for a remote reservoir

i'm going to hook it up at the original place, original was also single circuit, this one double, it's about 5,11 inch high

you can ggl "ate brake fluid reservoir" and it will show you all kinds Smile

[/quote]

That’s fine. Thanks for the picture. I’m not sure where I could mount that. But the visual might help.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Reservoir Upgrade Reply with quote

Hey Bryan67,

was just curious did you ever find a option for a new reservoir?

I just had to pull my M/C and reservoir, pull pedals, fix paintwork there, replace lines, clutch and accel cable and some other stuff.
It pretty much domino'd into more work than I wanted to do but anyways
was just curious if you found a method?
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Reservoir Upgrade Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
Hey Bryan67,

was just curious did you ever find a option for a new reservoir?

I just had to pull my M/C and reservoir, pull pedals, fix paintwork there, replace lines, clutch and accel cable and some other stuff.
It pretty much domino'd into more work than I wanted to do but anyways
was just curious if you found a method?

Not really. But I`m still looking. Since I have an ATE German master cylinder I can`t seem to find one of ones that sits right on top of the master cylinder. I`ve looked at aluminum remote ones but can`t find one that looks like it would mount in a good place. Or that has dual hose hook ups. I think a reservoir from a 71 Bus that plugs into the master cylinder will work, along with a single exit remote reservoir. But finding the dimensions I need before ordering is not easy. And since I`m hung up waiting for the engine, trans, and someone to do some paint work... it`s been sitting.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Reservoir Upgrade Reply with quote

Rats, "the waiting is the hardest part" as that song goes...
but be patient you'll get there, sometimes taking time and mulling it all helps in the long run.

I've been mulling this relocation idea myself and i've only come up with two options that I could even foresee possible but unsure if even feasible.

1: I wondered if I could making 2 very short reservoir hoses and letting the reservoir sit on top of the MC just a bit, (or a MC with the reservoir mounted on top) but it'd all be outside the cabin and "maybe" possible to refill via the hole in the front trunk via a long funnel but you'd have to pull the drivers tire to get to the top, remove it, then funnel thru the old access hole, quite a bit of trouble to access it.

2: Relocating the reservoir to the cabin so you can refill from the cabin.
Some hose and some sort of bracket to lower it so a refill would even be possible, but now you're apt to spill fluid in the cabin.
But it'd be easer to notice leaks and access, but then there's that safety guard on the front, but the bracket we make could be made to incorporate that.

Neither are probably even worth doing and the only other options I can think of is you'd have to keep an eye on this frequently enough to be able to check/detect leaks and clean them before any paint gets chewed if you go back stock.

Due to time I'm going back stock for now and am going to try to figure a way I can better detect any leaks going forward. I really can't afford to keep the THING sitting where it ended up in my garage (it's done got in the way of garage entry/exit) so I need to get it working soon and back rolling.

Well anyways just spitballing here, maybe it will spark an idea for you.

I just got the remainder of my parts in so hopefully I can do some work today on mine.
Still have some more touchup paintwork to do under the dash,
Install the bowden and new accelerator tube, cables
tighten all the new brake like connections
bleed the new MC, and install that
then put my pedals back in and bleed and leak test.

Well hope you dont have to wait too long, good luck with it Bryan67,

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: