Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EV-RODENT-SHIELD
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TFB777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: EV-RODENT-SHIELD Reply with quote

orbeamike wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Initially I was just trying to remove the bumper cover on my 2001, later I realized it's much easier just to remove the entire bumper which was held to the frame with 4 bolts and couple trim screws.

LOL! Twice I have done the rear bumpers the "hard" way - never even thought there might be another method to remove them! This is brilliant: KISS wins again!
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: EV-RODENT-SHIELD Reply with quote

orbeamike wrote:
If you look at the picture I posted, you notice two square bars coming out of the bumper that goes into the square holes in body. 4 bolts are what attach the 2 pieces together. The same 4 bolts are also used to anchor the hitch receiver if you have that. Unbolt the 4 bolts from underneath the car and couple trim screws along the inner fender and the whole thing comes off.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
druuid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: EV-RODENT-SHIELD Reply with quote

orbeamike wrote:
If you look at the picture I posted, you notice two square bars coming out of the bumper that goes into the square holes in body. 4 bolts are what attach the 2 pieces together. The same 4 bolts are also used to anchor the hitch receiver if you have that. Unbolt the 4 bolts from underneath the car and couple trim screws along the inner fender and the whole thing comes off.

Ha this is actually a really good idea! Wish I read this before I did mine.

I just did this installation myself for these screens but removed the trim ones and since my model had attached trim to tire flaps it was a bit cumbersome and I had to sort of lay it down.

-------
1995 EVC
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EV-RODENT-SHIELD Reply with quote

OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: EV-RODENT-SHIELD Reply with quote

For us who are marginally incompetent when it comes to these things can you share a few details. The 4 bolts that hold the bumper on I’m assuming are obvious. Where are these trim screws that you mentioned? Thank you so much. I have had the screens sitting in the package, in the garage for two years waiting for some reasonably simple way to install them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EV-RODENT-SHIELD Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Initially I was just trying to remove the bumper cover on my 2001, later I realized it's much easier just to remove the entire bumper which was held to the frame with 4 bolts and couple trim screws.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: EV-RODENT-SHIELD Reply with quote

OK- where does that "tunnel" go to-- and is it possible to screen it off or block the path of the air (oh, yes- what does flow in or out there- is it in or is it out?) from somewhere along its route. Stainless steel pot scrubber pads often get used in such places-- at least on Vanagons. I assume that since there are air vent inlets up front, this vent is for outflow. But if we were rodents entering at the under-bumper opening shown, in what spot(s) inside do we emerge into the living space. If we can get to them and stuff some stainless Brillo in, And btw, I have snap-trapped (killed) a number of mice and caught a couple on sticky-traps too, so a "map" of the inlet/outlet's route would be great to see. ?Anyone?
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: EV-RODENT-SHIELD Reply with quote

OK- where does that "tunnel" go to-- and is it possible to screen it off or block the path of the air (oh, yes- what does flow in or out there- is it in or is it out?) from somewhere along its route. Stainless steel pot scrubber pads often get used in such places-- at least on Vanagons. I assume that since there are air vent inlets up front, this vent is for outflow. But if we were rodents entering at the under-bumper opening shown, in what spot(s) inside do we emerge into the living space. If we can get to them and stuff some stainless Brillo in, And btw, I have snap-trapped (killed) a number of mice and caught a couple on sticky-traps too, so a "map" of the inlet/outlet's route would be great to see. ?Anyone?
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: EV-RODENT-SHIELD Reply with quote

I have a 1995 EVC. Thanks for this information
TFB777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: EV-RODENT-SHIELD Reply with quote

Removing the rear bumper on the long-nosed EVs are a bit of a pain. I just removed mine last week in order to Raptor-liner coat the bumpers (and took the opportunity to get those rodent screens installed). While most of the screws on the rear bumper are clearly visible and easily removed, the two hex screws on top which are hidden under the lip of the sheet metal are a real pain! Pull out the rubber hatch gasket and you'll see them. The working space is really tight and gets tighter as you loosen the screws! I wound up having to find two Allen wrenches of the correct size - and then cutting the tips off with a cutting tool. I made one about 1/2" to get the screw started and when it topped out against the body, I switched to my second one which I cut to about 1/4" to complete the extraction. Even when the threads are free, you have to wiggle, jiggle and angle the screws just right with a needle nose plyer in order to get them out! Then you get to do all over again it reverse! A pain, but doable.
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: EV-RODENT-SHIELD Reply with quote

I don't know about the long nose vans, but the earlier ones are simple.

- Open the tailgate.
- Remove 2 plastic push pin type anchors on each side at the vertical portion of the bumper.
- Remove 4 plastic caps: Two at the top surface, and two at the bottom surface.
- Unscrew bolts.

The whole bumper piece will slide out. FYI, my 95 has 3 sections; one center, and 2 sides. They come apart after you slide the bumper out.
steve2sloth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: EV-RODENT-SHIELD Reply with quote

Ha! I bought this kit too but failed to remove the rear bumper and gave up. As far as I could tell, I have to remove several allen screws and then pull off the weather stripping to access even more allen screws. Then I should be able to remove the cover from the rear bumper. At the time, I was too scared to remove the weather stripping and since then I've installed a cargo box on the hitch. When I find a reason to remove the cargo box again (it's heavy) I'll give it another shot. If you do figure it out, do let us know Wink
KWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: EV-RODENT-SHIELD Reply with quote

Has anyone installed the GoWesty EV-RODENT-SHIELD?

Wondered how to remove rear bumper?

Thank you, K&K

https://www.gowesty.com/images/ec/products/large/large_7c287a20bbe7ed260ded162380999999.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: