Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

That should hit all the keywords... Laughing

Looking to see what y'all with Subaru powered Vanagons have done for your airboxes.

Have you made an airbox?
Using a cone/K&N type filter?
Adapted one from another car? Do you have issues with it supplying enough air to the engine?
Custom made spendy parts from NW located parts dealers? Laughing

I have a cone K&N filter on my van now, and I think its a horrible solution. Engine sucks up hot air from the engine bay, and all the dust from dirt roads ends up on the filter. I have to clean it quite often.

Was considering blocking off the driver's side C pillar to put the filter in there, but I have my engine ECU wiring running through there as well to the lower rear cabinets.

Whatcha using, what works? Thanks
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

Replying to my own thread with links to other threads I've found so far...

Ford Mustang airbox
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723055

Rocky Mtn Westy Vanagon/subaru airbox and others
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=739943

Donaldson filter install
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596264

Another note: I tried the Donaldson filter that was sized for the Subaru 2.5L engine based on Donaldson's website, and found it didn't supply enough air. Went back to the cone filter and got back some power and MPG.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

ill put a plug here for the RMW setup (and i dont even have it on a subaru!)
its a really nice piece, pricey, but worth it since it all fits like a glove

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

I saw what they're asking for them, and it'd be worth buying a bending brake and some sheet aluminum to make one myself... Laughing
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

UngaWunga wrote:
I saw what they're asking for them, and it'd be worth buying a bending brake and some sheet aluminum to make one myself... Laughing

its not a bad idea depending on how much time youre into spending on building it. its a nice fit to the subaru filter with rolled edges, slants the whole thing over at an angle and tucks in nicely to the pillar.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

Kennedy also has an airbox.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

02 2.5L No MAF. Early Subaru intake at 45degrees + white 3 inch PVC drain pipe,+ abs blockoff + K&N RU-2820 canister style,open in corner box. Not loud, good response low and high speed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
02 2.5L No MAF. Early Subaru intake at 45degrees + white 3 inch PVC drain pipe,+ abs blockoff + K&N RU-2820 canister style,open in corner box. Not loud, good response low and high speed.

Nice setup. Where did you mount the ECU for your motor? I have a bunch of wires running through there. Could reroute, but like where it is in the cabinet.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

I used the OEM Subaru airbox kinda half tucked into the LR D pillar. Aluminium tube and an elbow to connect to the throttle body.

I figured if Subaru thought it was the right way to go...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

We have a Vanaru and it came with a K&N cone. It wasn't fit for purpose, and clogged easily. It was also very close to hot parts.

We replaced it with a intake box that North Westy uses for their conversions.
Uses a common air filter and the intake temp is lower.

Sorry, no pics.
Van stuck in SF and we are stuck in New Zealand.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

Jaguar xj6 box
Rear discs
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

Early and late model Subaru airboxes have been used in the D pillar box. Also, a Ford Mustang airbox seems to fit nicely. Search the forum threads for a writeup on that.
I threw my original airbox out. I even had it mounted along side the engine inside the bay for a while. I'm limited on what I can do with the D pillar since I have the expansion tank in the original position and I don't want to change everything around.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

Several photos and suggestions can be found in this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635556&highlight=
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get a Kennedy Air filter? They never responded to my email.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

I emailed with them yesterday about wiring diagrams and parts cost. They replied quickly and they also answer the phone.
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

Intake looks pretty narrow on that Kennedy airbox. Not sure it'd flow enough for a Subaru 2.5l engine.
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

I think I'm going to go with the airfilter mounted in the driver's side pilar. I have a sheet of aluminum I can use for the block off plate. Does anyone know of a 3" flange I can mount on a flat sheet to attach the air filter and intake hose to?
tuanis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

I just purchased a vanagon with a 2.5L subaru and am in the same boat, the cheap cone air filter is sitting in the engine bay and I want to come up with a better solution. As I'm a newbie, my question is if you extend the tubing and move the filter into the cubby by the D pillar, do you need to also move the AFM closer to the new filter location?
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

The RMW air box is expensive, but nice. i purchased it 10000 miles ago and still no buyer remorse here.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Subagon / Vanaru engine intake airboxes/airfilters.... Reply with quote

In my subaru conversion I did myself using a 1999 forrester 2.5 sohc - I used the Subaru airbox in the driver pillar. Needed a 18" 45deg hose (used pre made silicone) Ended up putting in a vanagon snorkel from box up to upper air intake to reduce high speed/rpm drone. 52k miles later still happy and it's nice to use a off the shelf airfilter. An happy with result

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: