Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just stripped the end of my crankshaft
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Title says it all. I started getting a tired 40 horse going for the Spring Oicnic this weekend and really effed things up after getting the end play dialed in.

The 1st 3 threads are pretty flat, the next 2 are iffy and the last 4 look like they've never been threaded into.

Is there anything I can do to salvage this mess? My first thought is to chase the threads and buy a longer chromoly gland nut from SCAT. M28x1.5 Taps aren't horribly expensive on Amazon or Ebay. I haven't come across an affordable thread chaser yet.

4 full threads doesn't sound like much to keep the flywheel in place but I'm hoping I'm wrong. If I get it together and use the clutch gently maybe that would work for a while? Maybe.......

My biggest worry is the flywheel popping off and destroying my new trans. That would really suck balls.

I'll snap a few pics real quick and try to post them up.

Thanks all, NAES
SBS #00
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SBS #00
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Berg sells and oversize gland nut and can also machine the crank to match if you send them it.

I had a similar issue but your threads look much worse. I just had one thread near the top slighly galled. I would not run it like that, however it might be ok. Clean it really well and take some more pics.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Ok thanks for that info!

I'll clean it out tomorrow and take better pics.

If I have to tear the engine apart then I may as well build a 1776 thats sitting in pieces. The plan was for this motor to be super temporary and a quick install for this coming weekend.
SBS #00
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

From the looks of it....it's not junk yet.
Just need to get enough of the crap out of the threads that the tap starts straight.
Not sure if there is a singular best way to do that but it can be done. If the adrenaline hits hard enough we found a way to do it one way or another.
Poking it to death with a pointy screwdriver and maybe a bit of strategic dremeling, ect.... Wire brushing helps too BTW.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Metric thread file like this , the end of the file is used for internal threads , every tool box should have.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/184311546274?hash=item2ae9d301a2:g:~~MAAOSwgGle0ww2
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

yeah that might help, but thread files aren't one of my favorite tools.
If we get to dream I want one of those an expanding taps where you can get it in behind on the undamaged threads then expand it, and tap outward, but most people don't know they exist and those that do can't afford one.
you can take a bolt with the right pitch pitch, and grind it into a thread massager like that. might help, tho it's no miracle cure.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

I’ve been there.
Went to bed that night in the absolute worst mood. But I did manage to salvage it. After inspecting everything it appeared that a full thread peeled off the CB gland nut.
I carefully removed the damage and got an improvised thread chaser started straight, and everything worked out.
Pics halfway down the page
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=563048&start=160
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Take an old gland nut and make a thread chaser. Cut a relief in it. I have one of those expanding thread chasers for spark plug holes, works great.
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

modok wrote:
yeah that might help, but thread files aren't one of my favorite tools.
If we get to dream I want one of those an expanding taps where you can get it in behind on the undamaged threads then expand it, and tap outward, but most people don't know they exist and those that do can't afford one.
you can take a bolt with the right pitch pitch, and grind it into a thread massager like that. might help, tho it's no miracle cure.

That does sound dreamy,lol
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

A friend had this happen to a freshly reassembled engine. He put the entire engine up on the table of a horizontal mill, bored the end of the crank out oversize and tapped it with a larger tap. Then he made a new gland nut to fit.

Of course, he is a machinist with the skills and access to the tools.

Last edited by MrWhoopee on Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Doesnt appear to be much engagement of the dowels to the flywheel?
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Success!

Took a drive down to DPR where they ran a tap through the threads and cleaned them up. Jose was pretty iffy about how successful the fix would be but there weren't any other quick options.

I got the engine home, got everything set back up and used a chromoly gland nut with loctite. I would rather destroy this eninge if it were to work itself loose as opposed to grenading the trans.

Time to put the rest of the pieces in and send this badboy home.

I'm relieved but not stoked yet. That'll have to wait for the first fire up.

Thank you all for the advice and input. As for the short dowel pins, I don't have an answer for you. Thats what was in there so I left it alone.

NAES
SBS #00
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

I wish I could take a drive down to DPR.
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I wish I could take a drive down to DPR.

Lol, me too.
"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

It was my first time to DPR. I'm not gonna lie, I was really impressed with their setup just looking inside from the rollup door. I would imagine a walkthrough would be mindblowing.
SBS #00
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Apparently, this is DPR
http://dprmachine.com/service-page/
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

If it holds the 235-odd lb-ft, don't worry.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

DPR is who I got my 84mm crank from Great guys.

The stacks of old cases up on the shelf made me sad though. Especially since they don't do cases. Sigh...
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Just stripped the end of my crankshaft Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Apparently, this is DPR
http://dprmachine.com/service-page/

Yep.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: