Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

ThIs is the tool of choice. Incredibly tough, just don't abuse it. Mine is nearly 50 years old and still in good condition, always reserved for difficult task.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

I have a similar tool. Mine doesn't fit in there.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

Ok. Nothing works. The bolts are stripping. I need extreme measures.

One stud of the water pump came out with the nut. The other 2 are preventing me from pulling the pump out with the bypass hose.

I need to get this old pump out.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

here is how i approached the same issue;

clamp J hose from 3/4 head to bleeder ring, clamp pressure tank to bleeder ring hose.
remove both hoses from bleeder ring
jack rear of bus up 22".
lower engine enough to expose pulley, support on cribbing.
WATCH 1/2 hose going to tower and bleeder hose to the thermostat housing!!!! you should be able to lower it without removing them, but you might clamp them and remove just in case.
use impact gun to remove pulley bolt.
use pulley puller to remove pulley.
remove the water pump pulley.

you now have access to the water pump, the cross over pipe, and the high pressure oil sender.

also works if the pulley seal leaks :/

do the needful and slap it all back together.

this takes far less time than you think and gives you good access with normal tools. esp. if you round the allens out.

BiWerks Design, LLC
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
here is how i approached the same issue;

clamp J hose from 3/4 head to bleeder ring, clamp pressure tank to bleeder ring hose.
remove both hoses from bleeder ring
jack rear of bus up 22".
lower engine enough to expose pulley, support on cribbing.
WATCH 1/2 hose going to tower and bleeder hose to the thermostat housing!!!! you should be able to lower it without removing them, but you might clamp them and remove just in case.
use impact gun to remove pulley bolt.
use pulley puller to remove pulley.
remove the water pump pulley.

you now have access to the water pump, the cross over pipe, and the high pressure oil sender.

also works if the pulley seal leaks :/

do the needful and slap it all back together.

this takes far less time than you think and gives you good access with normal tools. esp. if you round the allens out.

How do you lower the engine without docon eating it from the transmission?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

zoti wrote:

the tranny goes down at an angle with the engine since the tranny front mount is a pivot point.

if you've never dropped the engine before, this might be a tad advanced, but hell, no time like now to learn.

you should invest in a worm gear boat wench to build an engine hoist. best $26.00 i've spent on my Vanagons.

BiWerks Design, LLC
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
zoti wrote:

the tranny goes down at an angle with the engine since the tranny front mount is a pivot point.

if you've never dropped the engine before, this might be a tad advanced, but hell, no time like now to learn.

you should invest in a worm gear boat wench to build an engine hoist. best $26.00 i've spent on my Vanagons.

Gotcha. I need to replace the engine mounts and I have a floor jack so this is probably going to be the next step as I am out of ideas.

Unfortunately, I can’t jack the back of the van at this point. I have it on ramps at the front.

What pulley puller did you use to get the crankshaft pulley off?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

zoti wrote:

What pulley puller did you use to get the crankshaft pulley off?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z1FKVKS

i'm sure you could back the Vanagon off the ramps, even if you have a friend push it backwards.

BiWerks Design, LLC
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

what works best for me is to use a series of 3/8 drive extensions and go in through the the license plate door where the coolant overflow tank lives, it may sound crazy but it works. as far as the stripped allen bolts I have used a shortened easy-out to grip the ID of the Allen hole in the bolt head.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

whip618 wrote:
what works best for me is to use a series of 3/8 drive extensions and go in through the the license plate door where the coolant overflow tank lives, it may sound crazy but it works. as far as the stripped allen bolts I have used a shortened easy-out to grip the ID of the Allen hole in the bolt head.

Phil

How do you get to the bolt behind the main pulley?
lcolon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

I use a bit driver ratchet. I have a few different ratchets in small sizes. You can then use a 6mm "bit" that slots into the ratchet and it fits in behind the pulley. My wife got me a small ratchet set with bits from MAC Tools and I keep it in the van at all times.

You can also buy these off amazon. I would get a high quality one that has many splines. This one is fairly "short" (I have this exact one and use it for a number tight spots on cars) You can get longer ones from pro tool places like MAC that give additional leverage.

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Square-Drive-Ratchet-T...amp;sr=8-3
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

Ah, yes! That's genius. I've had my eye on this set for awhile. I really like Wera tools. This one comes with the rachet and bits. Just ordered it. I'll post pics if it fits.

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-056490-Tool-Check-Ratc...&psc=1
lcolon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

This is the exact one I use for getting back there... It came with a kit with several bits and an extension:

https://www.mactools.com/en-us/Screwdrivers-and-Bi...it-Ratchet

The wera one is nice as well... the Mac one is a little longer for more leverage.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

https://chapmanmfg.com/products/1000-mity-master-set

This is the ratcheting bit set I use. All ground bit faces.. nice family company too.

For the water pump, I always just commit to pulling the crank pulley. If you don't have the tools to accomplish that I understand but for me it's a must. Pull the Cat and Muffler, heat shield and expansion tank then work in comfort. Really doesn't take that long.

J
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

I use a 6mm Allen 3/8 drive socket. Get a quality brand. Snap-on, Mac, SK, Blackhawk. Possibly European brands. This is one place you cannot afford a failure. The same tool REMOVES CV bolts. Never replaces them tho. I use 12 points.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

I know it seems like the job from hell. After doing it about a dozen times, it's not so bad.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
I know it seems like the job from hell. After doing it about a dozen times, it's not so bad.

Not uncommon - many find they get used to hell after living there for a while...

BTW, Facom makes a nice bit ratchet too. I'm surprised any of them can put down enough torque to budge that heat-welded-rusted-in-place cap screw.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

I tried heat with a small torch. Can’t get it hot enough.

I tried a chisel and a hammer. Won’t budge.

Any 6mm tool I manage to get in there just rounds the inside.

So,

Any advise on how to cut the bolts off? I’m tired of those sobs.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

If you have access, use hand held impact type tool and a reverse bit that would bite into allen head?

As a last resort.....

Drill hole cross wise in bolt head, use a strong pin (stainless?) through that?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
I tried heat with a small torch. Can’t get it hot enough.

I tried a chisel and a hammer. Won’t budge.

Any 6mm tool I manage to get in there just rounds the inside.

So,

Any advise on how to cut the bolts off? I’m tired of those sobs.

Once the pulley is off you can hammer a 12 point CV bolt bit\socket into the rounded 6mm allen and back it out. It works every time.

J
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: