Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

60 seconds of heat, 5 minute cool

Repeat 5x.

It’s not the swelling of metal you are after, it’s the cycling and breakup of corrosion
RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I cut down an allen key until it was the shortest it could possibly be, just the depth of the bolt head.

¡Exactomundo! That's what I did.

Also, now, I know why I cut down that Allen key so severely.

You know, when you wrench on Vanagons long enough, there comes a day when you will pull a tool out of the bottom of the box and you will ask yourself, "Why in the hell did I make that?"

Richie (Near The Burgh)

PS - Another dodge is to through drill some 1/4" stock and mount up a short piece of Allen key in the hole, then take away anything that doesn't look like it needs to be there.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
60 seconds of heat, 5 minute cool

Repeat 5x.

It’s not the swelling of metal you are after, it’s the cycling and breakup of corrosion

But I can't get q big torch in there because there is a wire for the oil pressure sensor and my small torch doesn't seem to even bother the bolt.

I'll need to find some other torch to use. I have one for soldering copper pipes. Do you think that will work? Do I just heat up the bolt head?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

A plumbing propane torch will work fine.

Move the oil sender wire clear of the site, 5 cm away will be fine

For about $100 all in you can get a small oxy propane which will burn most anything off, but propane will work for that.

Warm it up for sixty, cool for 300

Repeat
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
A plumbing propane torch will work fine.

Move the oil sender wire clear of the site, 5 cm away will be fine

For about $100 all in you can get a small oxy propane which will burn most anything off, but propane will work for that.

Warm it up for sixty, cool for 300

Repeat

OK. I'll try that next
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

You need to break the molecular bond of corrosion.
The heat /cool cycle does work, but the problem is it is a steel bolt in an aluminum alloy block.The block also expands, but the steel bolt retains the heat longer-the aluminum cools faster and in doing so it shrinks back to it's original size while the bolt is still expanded.

You can try getting a can of CRC's "Freeze Off" for bolts Product #05002.
it's basically a ice cold spray that you can squirt on the head of the bolt after you heat it to help cool it quickly. The problem is you have to just hit the head of the bolt and not cool off the surrounding block.
Since it is an Allen Head you can try putting the little red spray tube into the allen key recess so that it sprays back in your face- something to be careful about.
This might help the heating/cooling cycle break the bond.

The other thing that breaks the molecular bond is repeated sharp blows of a hammer which you cannot do because of the access.
I'm not talking a large hammer and heavy blows!
A small 10 oz hammer and hitting it like a woodpecker hitting a tree- a fast light tapping.
since you cannot get a small hammer in there either do you have an Impact gun? One of those battery powered ones.
You can put an extension on it and the 6mm socket to fit the bolt and try letting this do it's hammer action.
The bolt head is stripped so I doubt it will get it out, but it is going to provide the hammer action.

Then since the head is stripped you could try hammering in a Torx bit to get it stuck in the head and try turning that out.

The torx bit I'm thinking of is a long one about 3" long that will reach in without removing the crankshaft pulley. It will not be straight on because of the pulley, but if you hammer it it it might be enough to get the bolt turning. The M6 will probably be too small as it's a stripped bolt, but the next size M8 might fit if hammered hard enough-you may have to trim it a bit smaller. They do not make an M7 size. The trade name is "XZN Triple Square Spline Bit "
looks like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D3D4ZGN/ref=sspa_dk_d...s9dHJ1ZQ==

I just tried the M6 size on my spare engine and because of the off angle it fits
into a unstripped head. The M8 is too big to fit.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

Something else to consider and the number one suggestion from someone no longer on the Samba. Smile

Weld a nut onto the head of the bolt.

zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Something else to consider and the number one suggestion from someone no longer on the Samba. Smile

It's so inaccessible and my welding skills are not good enough.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

It's so inaccessible and my welding skills are not good enough.

Actually you could just use a stick welder and if you could hold the nut to the head of the bolt it would mean carefully putting the weld rod down to the nut on the bolt head. You do not have to do a fancy bead you just have to melt metal. It's almost spot welding, it is spot welding!
One weld on one flat might do it for you.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-056490-Tool-Check-Ratc...&psc=1

I ordered this earlier and it arrived. It definitely fits. If I were doing this job, I might cut down the little allen key for more rotational clearance. Or use another key and cut that down to not ruin the set. It's tiny and you can see how unnecessarily long the key is. It's a really neat little tool kit.

Compared to 3/8 and 3/4.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Top bolt.

Bottom bolt. Cutting down the key and removing the oil filter would give your hand easier access here.

zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

I ended up having to cut the bypass hose that goes behind the pulley to get the old water pump out.

It might even be the original pump. Has VW and Audi logos on it.

When the pump was out, I got a grip on the bolts and removed them. Out of the car, they were not that hard to remove.

Looks like I’ll need to pull the oil pressure sensor out to put the new metal hose in.

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

Wow, that was quite a battle. I've cursed the engineers on that one before as well. Well done and a tip of the hat!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Wow, that was quite a battle. I've cursed the engineers on that one before as well. Well done and a tip of the hat!

It was a PITA to get this out and now I have to wait for the pipe.

I guess when the bolts are new and not rusted they don’t round and come out easily.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

When you reinstall using new hardware, put some anti-seize on the threads.
They aren't as tight as you might think either. IIRC about Xx edit: 15 ft lbs.

As a leak prevention step and to help keep the Orings in place, I coat the Orings with Hylomar before final assembly.
It isn't "needed" but there is little more frustrating than an Oring that falls out just as you get the unit and the pipes aligned!
Plus, you are assured of it not leaking.
Hylomar is non hardening so on the next replacement you aren't scraping off silicone residue crap!

https://hylomar.com/en/universal-blue/

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun May 02, 2021 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

Supplement the paper gasket for the crossover pipe on reinstall as well. Gasgacinch or equivalent, I’ve used a widely available permatex product successfully. Otherwise you can end up with a super slight leak at the very junction of those 6mm bolts.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:

It was a PITA to get this out and now I have to wait for the pipe.

I guess when the bolts are new and not rusted they don’t round and come out easily.

One of the reasons they might have been a PITA to get ot that may have caused starting to strip many mechanics ago was they were gorilla tight.
Another reason is their location as you found out. Once the bolt heads started to strip by previous mechanics not getting the allen key in them properly it was just the start of the inevitable end that you reached.

Do it properly and tighten them per spec. which is only 15 ft. lbs. on page 19.14 of the Bentley.

So you see it is not a lot of power used to tighten them down!
I would also use Blue Loctite on them as this is just added security against vibration loosening them and it really does not make them difficult to get out. ( if I used red Loctite I'd sell the engine before trying to get them out.!)

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

Snap on has low clearance fine tooth ratchet 1/4 drivers which are really cool.
Also you can find fine tooth or gearless aircraft watches on ebay.

In this case...why not reassemble with high grade hex head bolts ??.

Also in some cases where nut access is difficult (🤨) maybe reassemble with a coupling nuts for possibly more tool engagement options ? I mean not in this WP issue but you know, other places where it's hard to get at things.

That one nut/bolt that holds the alt in place, I welded a nut on the front of vehicle end of the bracket so it's a breeze to just drive the bolt in from the back /rear of veh/ pulley side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

I thought about going with a hex when I assembled my 90’s engine....... but I didn't.

Is there space for a 13mm hex head on the pump itself?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

Looks like it would be close, surely not enough space for a box end wrench on the head but maybe the head itself.
Since you've cut the water tube off the flange maybe squash the tube enough to gain clearance and weld it back on then clean up the welding with a die grinder so it's all mice inside and out. Next time it'll be easier all around.
There will be a next time.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the trick to remove these 6mm Allen bolts? Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:

In this case...why not reassemble with high grade hex head bolts ??.

It's going to be too close to get a socket or closed end wrench on there. The tube for the cooling is too close to the bolt hole.
You could try if you really wanted to go to all the trouble by welding a nut onto the end of the head of the original bolt because then it would be out away from the tube.
If you put new bolts in and torque then correctly it really should not be a problem to get them out.
It's when you put in half stripped bolts back in that it becomes a problem the next time you have to take them out.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: