Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are safari windows worth the leaks?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Okie... too funny. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

mine don't leak. CE safaris with Wolfgang seals. I only lock them shut when it rains witch is about 5 days out of a year lol. Desert southwest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
1953-1967, buses were equipped with vent windows that actually work. They will push as much air in your face and cab as you like. Effectively, there is not a huge difference, however, safaris are way cooler.

Safaris ventilate the bus *much* more effectively than vent wings. Way cooler on a hot day.

Am I the only person who removed safaris from an og safari bus being used as a daily driver bus and got rid of them?
With my second og safari bus (65 westy) I was just... no, it's too much.
Daily driving that in W WA, parked outside, no regrets being safari-free. And it's not like there are many days over 80F there.

If you only drive in nice weather, you might be very happy. Over about 100 it makes it feel hotter to have them open. The Florida guys seem to love them.
They are great if it is 95F.

I have used them more in the ~2.5 years I've been in CA, than the previous 22.5 years I owned the bus. High of 79 expected with sun this afternoon.

To the guy in the UK who says they don't leak, have long have they been installed? Mine didn't leak with NOS seals.

Here's a pic from April 2006. Dry CA rain on the way to Kelley Park shows:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They suck in the rain. Here is my bus in Capitol Forest in November 2006:
The bus is so soggy. Everything is soggy. See the fog in the trees behind Greg. This area is soggy like Wales. Soggier than Swansea. A week or two of them being nice in the summer does not make this worthwhile:

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

My CE's leak but barely. Nothing like the u channel bus boy safaris.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Well Clara, like I mentioned, I live on the seacoast of New Hampshire. We do get rain, but many nice days too.

I think to many of the posters, I really have to think about my use. It won't be a daily driver, but more of at night and weekends during the May - Oct to do a little showing off ha-ha.

In that case, they would make sense, and I would store in my garage the remaining months of the years.

Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Drew Ogden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

They are worth the leaks. If the bus has og windshields, I leave them. If not, and it's a keeper bus, og safaris get installed.....

markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Still trying to learn acronyms. OG is a new one on me ?
livingskies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

They do look cool, and may make sense in a hot climate. Although when travelling at higher speed, I'm not sure whether having lots of air blowing at one's body would be all that enjoyable. In a convertible or a vehicle with an opening sun roof, air mainly passes over one's head, which is a different experience entirely.

It never gets hot here - mid to high 90s (35 or so in Celsius) is about as warm as it gets here. So no big incentive to install safaris.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/dic/o.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

livingskies wrote:
They do look cool, and may make sense in a hot climate. Although when travelling at higher speed, I'm not sure whether having lots of air blowing at one's body would be all that enjoyable. In a convertible or a vehicle with an opening sun roof, air mainly passes over one's head, which is a different experience entirely.

It never gets hot here - mid to high 90s (35 or so in Celsius) is about as warm as it gets here. So no big incentive to install safaris.

While all the pictures show them open fully, that is only fun at low speed. Opened just a crack is great for high speeds. Just got back from a cruise with them open, its 20C here today. Doesnt have to be hot to use them.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

in new mexico - yes!

in new hampshire - no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
markeaton wrote:

Funny thing about that, OG has pervaded numerous other vehicle forums of which the subject vehicles never originated in Germany. More often than not it's apparently misused as a sort of slang for "original." Rolling Eyes
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Well, I found out OG and many other ones. Thank you Anchovy. Did not know that dictionary was here. I need to search deeper on the wonderful site.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Anchovy wrote:
markeaton wrote:

Funny thing about that, OG has pervaded numerous other vehicle forums of which the subject vehicles never originated in Germany. More often than not it's apparently misused as a sort of slang for "original." Rolling Eyes

I could be wrong here but I feel OG was adopted by VW folks and later decided by some to mean "Original German." Personally before I ever heard it in the VW world it was aware of it as an abbreviation for "Original Gangster" meaning an authentic, real deal, old school bad ass. When we used to call our buses OG we meant they weren't restored EMPIed out crap, but I digress.....
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Drew Ogden wrote:

Damn! PGSG walk through! That has GOT to be a rare bus!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
livingskies wrote:

While all the pictures show them open fully, that is only fun at low speed. Opened just a crack is great for high speeds. Just got back from a cruise with them open, its 20C here today. Doesnt have to be hot to use them.

I've always told folks, it's no different then riding a motorcycle......or a rollercoaster! I have been known to blaze down the highway with mine wide open. It's kind of hard to breath at first but you get the hang of it and when you reach your destination everything in your bus has been relocated for you Laughing Laughing Laughing
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Busstom wrote:
Anchovy wrote:
markeaton wrote:

I could be wrong here but I feel OG was adopted by VW folks and later decided by some to mean "Original German." Personally before I ever heard it in the VW world it was aware of it as an abbreviation for "Original Gangster" meaning an authentic, real deal, old school bad ass. When we used to call our buses OG we meant they weren't restored EMPIed out crap, but I digress.....

This is the correct take. OG = Original Gangster.
Original German was definitely adopted from the west coast meaning of 'OG'.

After all, I highly doubt those rappers/hip hop stars were referring to themselves as "Original Germans" Laughing
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

with front safari's, pack a few towels and a roll of tape, and you're good to go Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

To answer the OP question: Yes.

My bus isn't a DD.
It does not have AC.
It's not very OG.
I live in the SE.
They seep a little bit.
Water evaporates.
I think I sweat more than they "leak".
I sweat less when they're open.
I smile more when they're open.

Last edited by MrPolak on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Are safari windows worth the leaks? Reply with quote

I am grateful to all of the replies and photos. Love this site.

It is still amazing to me, what appears like something so "simple", i.e. rubber or foam seals, that someone far far brighter than me, has not developed a leak solution.

It is of course, the love of the VW and the lifestyle, far outweighs the wiping up of water Smile

I guess living in a house growing up with an engineer (my dad) that I am always looking for the small improvement in things.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: