Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

I installed new wheels bearings,axles, disc hubs and spacers when I put my rail together. The left one came apart after less than 200 miles. I put new bearings in again after cleaning out everything. About a 150 miles later, it came apart again. This time, it destroyed the axle and the hub. I installed new bearings, new spacers, a new axle and a new hub/disc, etc. all brand new.

That was the third set of bearings and the second set of spacers. Everything was clean and good quality grease was used. The right side has been absolutely trouble free. I used to be a pro mechanic for Kawasaki Motorcycles, building engines and tranys for the Kawasaki race teams. I'm not a rooky mechanic. I understand how stuff works and what makes it break. I do not understand why this is breaking over and over again.

Now it's bad again. I think the axle and disc hub are destroyed again too. This will be the 4th time for the bearings and the second new axle/hub. (Besides the original brand new one!!) It has less than 1000 miles on it total. One set of bearings were West German, the others ??.

The only parts not new, were the trailing arms. I bought them used and don't know the history. They appear to be stock VW with the reinforcing plates welded on top and bottom. They also have the old school extra heavy duty plate wrapped around around the bearing housing top, bottom and sides. They both bolted up fine and are not showing any Camber.

I do not understand why it keeps going bad! I have used all new parts every time. Yeah, I verified the assembly several times here and other places. It's correct. But something is wrong. I'm starting to wonder if the spacing on the trailing arm...from one side of the bearing housing to the other side...is wrong. The bearings did seem to slide in pretty easily so I dimpled the inner surface to help hold them tight. Does anybody have any ideas? Has anybody ever seen anything like this? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

What do you mean “came apart?” How are they failing?

The ball bearings, roller bearings, or both?

Something is definitely not right...

Since this is the off road forum... are you pounding the crap out of them with severe off road abuse?

There is no reason a new bearing (even Chinese) shouldn’t provide years of trouble free service unless you are really thrashing it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Possibly the trailing arm, spacers, not the right torque on the axle nut.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
What do you mean “came apart?” How are they failing?
The ball bearings, roller bearings, or both?
Something is definitely not right...
Since this is the off road forum... are you pounding the crap out of them with severe off road abuse?
There is no reason a new bearing (even Chinese) shouldn’t provide years of trouble free service unless you are really thrashing it.

The first time, the outer bearing...the roller bearing..came apart. The cylinders fell out when I took it apart. When it destroyed the axle and hub, I wasn't able to figure out what broke first. It was a mess. I may not be able to figure out what went wrong this time either since it seems pretty bad. The wheel/hub is very loose. I have not taken it apart yet.

No I don't beat it. No jumps or anything like that. Just cruising off road and exploring old mining areas and trails. Most of the mileage is from street use. I'm actually pretty gentle with it due to having a hot motor on a standard Type 1 trans.

74 Thing wrote:
Possibly the trailing arm, spacers, not the right torque on the axle nut.

The spacers were brand new..both times. Yes, the torque was correct. I don't know about the trailing arms. Like I said, I don't know the history of them. What could be bad in the trailing arm that causes this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

What did you torque the axle nut to?

You may need the chromoly IRS spacers if your spacers are worn or have grooves in them if the drum/rotor was loose
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Chromoly-Axle-Spacers...rs-irs.htm

If the bearings are not a nice tight fit into the axle housing then that can be a problem and also if it is bent.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

I had the rear wheel bearing go bad on my 944 (same trailing arms as the Beetle) and had it replaced by a local shop as I don't have a press. Then about 3000 miles later it went again. No idea why and they replaced it free of charge. So far so good.

Just a faulty bearing? Or did a race get chipped pressing it in?
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

I imagine it would be very apparent, but are you missing any of the spacers, or have them in the wrong configuration?
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Ok I took it apart this morning and cleaned everything up in the solvent tank. The axle and hub appear fine and I'll use them again. I dinged the inner bearing with the bearing driver popping it out so I don't know if it's was bad or not. I think it was ok. I did a "shake, rattle and roll" on the axle before pulling it out and the inner side did not seem to move at all.

On the other hand! The outer bearing had a lot of slop in it even though it appeared to be fine. I cleaned it and inspected it and it looked perfect! No glitches in spinning, no galling that I can, etc. However, it's loose...like really loose. It's a FAG bearing so it should have lasted longer than 200 miles. It was so loose that I could move the wheel over an inch back and forth.

I dimpled the bearing pockets some more and have brand new West German parts to install. I'll get it assembled this afternoon and will do some serious checking for slop. We shall see!

One thing: The roller bearing...the one with the cylinders instead of balls goes on the outside, right? I know it does but I just want to make sure!
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Here's how I did mine ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=155

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

That outer bearing should be a tight fit in the housing. Dimple the housing with a punch.

Also, pay attention to the spacers. The outer one should have the bevel facing the bearing as in the photos. You should have three spacers as in the link provided and there should be no grooves or wear marks where they touch each other or the brake drum. Especially pay attention to the outer spacer where it touches the drum. Make sure your torque is 250ft lbs.

You indicated that you are not using a drum but instead have rear discs and that there is play. Is there an additional spacer needed for your disc brakes-just throwing out ideas.

Photos would be really helpful.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

74 Thing brings up a good point. A lot of disk brake rotors are universal, meaning they fit earlier short spline swing axles and can also be used with later long spline swing axles and CV stub axles, provided you use a spacer to properly clamp the disk. It does no good to torque the nut down on the bottom of the threads, and not clamp the disk. It may look like it is seated on the disk, but could have next to no clamp load with the nut torqued.

As mentioned, 250 Ft*Lbs for long spline axles with flanged nuts, plus whatever it takes to get to the next cotter pin hole. So be prepared to crank on it. I have measured as high as 350 Ft*Lbs by the time the next cotter pin hole lines up, so use a VW torque buddy tool, or a 3/4 drive bar. Anything more than 250 on a 1/2 drive is pushing it. I have broken the square end of 1/2 drive stuff.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

So, back to the bearings...

You said the rollers fell out of the roller bearing... so the roller cage broke? Steel or nylon? Any automotive axle bearing worth $0.02 should have a steel cage. But, I have seen nylon caged bearings passed off as axle bearings in the past...and they are not long for this world supporting the weight of a car.

The bearing to arm fit should be a light press fit, but it shouldn’t kill anything to have it a thou or two loose. You can carefully peen it like you did, or clean the housing really well and use an anaerobic bearing retainer when installing the bearings.

The design on the bearings is surprisingly tolerant of slight misalignments. If you are off more than a couple thou, you will feel it when spinning the stub axle in the bearings. I would assemble everything dry with NO SEALS. You don’t need to fully torque for this test, just snug it up. Then spin the assembly in the bearings... it should spin freely with zero hiccups or rough spots anywhere. If it does, alignment is probably beyond use. If it passes this test, it must be assembly related.

Did you clean your bearings prior to packing them with grease?

So, how was your stub axle damaged? Bent? Gouged? If so, what chewed it up? Did the inner race of the bearing crack? Too much axle nut torque? Impact wrench? etc...

This really sounds like an assembly issue if you went through four wheel bearings so fast.

Walk us through exactly what you did, step by step. Maybe someone will spot something you overlooked.

Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
So, back to the bearings...
You said the rollers fell out of the roller bearing... so the roller cage broke? Steel or nylon? Any automotive axle bearing worth $0.02 should have a steel cage. But, I have seen nylon caged bearings passed off as axle bearings in the past...and they are not long for this world supporting the weight of a car.

No, the bearing did not fall apart. I said it looked perfect except it was sloppy. Steel retainers only. No plastic ones.
Vanapplebomb wrote:
The bearing to arm fit should be a light press fit, but it shouldn’t kill anything to have it a thou or two loose. You can carefully peen it like you did, or clean the housing really well and use an anaerobic bearing retainer when installing the bearings.

I peened in a bunch of dimples and then used a screw press to pull it all into place. It went together very nicely.
Vanapplebomb wrote:
The design on the bearings is surprisingly tolerant of slight misalignments. If you are off more than a couple thou, you will feel it when spinning the stub axle in the bearings. I would assemble everything dry with NO SEALS. You don’t need to fully torque for this test, just snug it up. Then spin the assembly in the bearings... it should spin freely with zero hiccups or rough spots anywhere. If it does, alignment is probably beyond use. If it passes this test, it must be assembly related.

Yes, it spins freely. I really don't think it's assembly related but am open to suggestions. I assembled it all back together this morning and it seems fine now.
Vanapplebomb wrote:
Did you clean your bearings prior to packing them with grease?

Absolutely! Cleaned them is fresh solvent, inspected them, checked them and greased them with a bearing packer and pumped enough grease thru to insure no voids.
Vanapplebomb wrote:
So, how was your stub axle damaged? Bent? Gouged? If so, what chewed it up? Did the inner race of the bearing crack? Too much axle nut torque? Impact wrench? etc...

The axle wasn't damaged this time at all. I cleaned it up and inspected it closely. Good snug fit in the hub. No issues or problems. On one of the earlier failures, the axle was destroyed because it spun inside the hub and blew all of the splines out.
Vanapplebomb wrote:
This really sounds like an assembly issue if you went through four wheel bearings so fast.

I'm assembling it correctly and taking a lot of care each time. New parts, cleaning everything out, feeling with my fingers for debris inside the housing, lots of grease, checking and double checking everything, etc.
Like I said: I'm not a rooky. I did this stuff professionally for Kawasaki Racing for many years and then as a hobby since then.

Now having said that: I know for a fact that something is wrong. I just don't know what it is! There are only three possibilities. A...Defective parts. Once sure but not four times in a row. B....There's something wrong with the setup. This is a possibility that I'm working on but it beats me what it may be. C...I'm doing it wrong. Yeah, this is a possibility too. I'm open to suggestions.

Yes, all of the bevels are facing the trany, three good spacers, all parts were cleaned and greased, everything was pulled together with a screw press, no hammering or beating on them, (except for disassembly),, all new bearings and seals, roller bearing on the outside, ball bearing on the inside, 250lbs torque on a verified torque wrench. Each time, it had no slop after assembly.

There is one interesting thing that I have noticed. I use a spring clip instead of a cotter pin. (Yeah, it's safety wired in place) The nut seems to go down far enough that the clip almost does not catch the slots in the nut. There's enough for it to be ok but it just seems that the axle sticks out further than it should.

I know there are long and short axles. How big is the difference? Mine seems like it's about 1/8" longer than it should be. The nut is not bottoming out but should I use a spacer anyway? Ok, that's all I have. Thanks everybody for your help.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Wulfthang wrote:

There is one interesting thing that I have noticed. I use a spring clip instead of a cotter pin. (Yeah, it's safety wired in place) The nut seems to go down far enough that the clip almost does not catch the slots in the nut. There's enough for it to be ok but it just seems that the axle sticks out further than it should.

I know there are long and short axles. How big is the difference? Mine seems like it's about 1/8" longer than it should be. The nut is not bottoming out but should I use a spacer anyway? Ok, that's all I have. Thanks everybody for your help.

I think I dealt with something similar to what you're talking about.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=187

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

I have seen some funky aftermarket axle nuts as well. It is all pointing to something loosening up.

If you have to go in there again (hopefully not), snap some photos and post them. Sometimes a second or third pair of eyes catches things you may have overlooked.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

What kind of stub axles are you using? Thing or 924/944 or imports? maybe the stubs axles are not to spec.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Wulfthang wrote:
The first time, the outer bearing...the roller bearing..came apart. The cylinders fell out when I took it apart.

Vanapplebomb wrote:
You said the rollers fell out of the roller bearing... so the roller cage broke?

Wulfthang wrote:
No, the bearing did not fall apart. I said it looked perfect except it was sloppy.

Im getting lost in what actually happened to what bearing...

So, one roller bearing came apart, and one roller bearing was sloppy but looked good?

Rollers coming out; something broke the cage. Most common causes of broken cages on roller bearings are excessive radial loads, edge loading, or damaging the cage upon installation.

*Radial loading: The roller bearings are actually huge on these VWs relative to the load they actually see, so we can most likely rule out excessive radial loading, especially with the lighter driving you do.

*Edge loading: Possible, but unlikely. You would have to have significant misalignment of the roller and ball bearing to twist the inner race of the roller bearing a meaningful amount. If the bore in your carrier was beat out 0.001” oversize or more, I could see alignment issues contributing to the failure. Did you measure the bore diameter in the carrier before peening to see how much it was beat out?

*User damage: Any chance you nicked the cage while installing the bearing? It wouldn’t take much, even a scratch. Did your bearing driver tool push axially on the cage in any way? Dumb question, but are you sure you installed the inner roller bearing race? It slips inside the roller bearing and the stub axle slides through it. If you forgot it, there would have been significant slop, a completely Grenada’s bearing, and also damaged ball bearing because of the misalignment caused. I have seen it before, even with experienced mechanics...sometimes you just go on autopilot, zone out, and make a mistake when doing something you have done a million times. If the outer spacer isn’t oriented correctly, that could also damage the cage. The chamfer should face the inner race of the roller bearing. If the wide face is against the bearing, the cage may ride against it slightly depending on the design of the cage.

Sloppy but good looking bearing: What is sloppy? Stub axle to inner race? Inner race to rollers? Outer race to the bearing carrier bore?

If this bearing was noticeably different from another, then it must have been the incorrect bearing. Perhaps a packaging mistake by the manufacture or retailer.

*Outer race to bearing carrier bore: Bearing outer races should be ground to within -0.0000” / +0.0005” of their stated size. If a bearing is less than the stated size, it’s junk. If it is 0.001” over, I return them. Automated grinding operations are so good these days that even cheaper import bearings typically hold these tolerances...although surface finishes often vary widely. The bearing bore in the carrier should be on size to 0.001-0.002” smaller than the bearing in an ideal world.

*Inner race to stub axle: this should be a dead nuts fit. In a perfect world, it would always be a slip fit with a max of 0.001 clearance. In the real world, our stub axles probably are not exactly round, or have some surface finish imperfections on them. Most installations I have done were a very tight slip fit on the ground surfaces of the stub axle, but at other places it stuck slightly and had to be pushed over tight spots...often a small hardly visible burr or ding near the transition between a machine turned surface and the ground surface of the stub axle. I would be suspect of either the inner race or the stub axle if the inner race just drops on by gravity alone.

*Inner race to rollers: This should be another dead nuts fit. It should drop right in by gravity, but have no detectable slip. If there is, something is up with the bearing tolerance, and should be replaced with a new one. Just checking... but you didn’t install the inner race over the stub axle, right? If not, the stub axle will ride on the rollers and destroy the bearing.

I know that was long winded, but I hope it helps narrow down some of the possibilities.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Wulfthang wrote:
On one of the earlier failures, the axle was destroyed because it spun inside the hub and blew all of the splines out.

This tells us that the nut wasn’t clamping the hub properly. Could be a number of reasons for this. Low torque, but backing off, nut bottoming out on the threads, soft iron hubs, hug face not machined square to splines, crushing spacers, etc. whatever it is, something is loosing clamping force.

The nut actually isn’t that tight for the size of the thread, but what it does is keep the face of the hub square with the stub axle. When it is tightened properly so that the hub face remains square to the stub axle, the splines meet and mesh across their entire length. That provides a lot of load bearing area. If the assembly isn’t tightened properly, the hub face won’t always be square to the stub axle, so the splines will be edge loaded. This puts an incredible amount of pressure on the small segments of the splines making contact at that given time. As you roll down the road, the hub is always shifting and changing where it is edge loading the splines. This beats the splines out surprisingly quickly. The weight of the car and driving force applied to the wheels becomes concentrated at a few points the size of a pin head rather than over several square inches.

Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb: Truthfully, the first time it broke, I may have gotten the bearings backwards. (Ball bearing on the outside) I say may because I did not look at them as I was taking it apart. But I suspected it when I looked at how the parts were laying there on the rag under the trailing arm. Probably my fault. The ball bearing looked like it was chewed on by a Metal Monster.

The second time it broke, the outer bearing was destroyed. The metal cage broke. However, the axle also stripped it's splines and ruined the hub too. I don't know which came first but I'm leaning towards the bearing disintegrating first because I stopped driving as soon as the splines broke!

This last time, (Yesterday) the inner bearing looked ok and didn't seem to have any slop but I didn't put a dial indicator on it.

The outer bearing...the roller bearing with cylinders inside looked perfectly fine. No damage anywhere that i could see. Shiny rollers, intact cage, no split races, nothing. However, it was sloppy.

The inner race seemed to be wobbly on the axle but no slop. It would wobble on the ends but was snug on the axle. The outer race was snug in the housing pocket. However, there was slop aka clearance between the inner and outer races, almost like the cylinder rollers were to small. No, the races were not split.

It wasn't much but of course, any is to much. It was enough so that when I grabbed the top of the tire and pushed it in and out, it moved an inch or more! The outer bearing ...the roller bearing...was a FAG bearing but not West German. (The latest new set is)

The axles were new when I first built the car and then this side was replaced with new again when the splines broke. I don't remember what shop I got them from but they were just standard VW Bug axles, probably Empi's. I am absolutely positive that it was assembled correctly each time except for maybe the first time.

This time I used West German bearings and seals. I'm going to wait on my new nuts before testing it out. Then I'm going to put about a thousand miles on it on the street before risking off road! At least on the road, I can call AAA.

Any ideas or suggestions? Maybe a Voodoo Priest to remove the curse? A Holy Water drip system? A Brenneke Magnum Crush 12 gauge slug?

Dark Earth: Thank you! I just ordered two of the Empi Chrome thicker nuts.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Empi and chrome is not wise.
Read about it here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670996&highlight=axle+nut
Get some quality axle nuts or used OE VW.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: