Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Empi and chrome is not wise.
Read about it here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670996&highlight=axle+nut
Get some quality axle nuts or used OE VW.

Do you know of any that are taller than stock? I either have to use taller ones or put a shim behind it. I think these axles are some kind of multi fit ones, made longer to fit more vehicles. Stock nuts are to short.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

[[/quote]

Do you know of any that are taller than stock? I either have to use taller ones or put a shim behind it. I think these axles are some kind of multi fit ones, made longer to fit more vehicles. Stock nuts are to short.[/quote]

This seems like the problem like many have suggested. Your assembly is loosening up. You either need the correct size axles for your set up so everything gets torqued correctly or have a set of spacers made and possibly machine the snout of the drum or rotor.
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Get the tire assembly checked for run out and balance. if that cant be done swap the tires side to side and see if the problem moves to the other side.

out of control tire has allot of leverage to destroy stuff, record the tire while driving down the road maybe bad shock too.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

stevebaz wrote:
Get the tire assembly checked for run out and balance. if that cant be done swap the tires side to side and see if the problem moves to the other side.

out of control tire has allot of leverage to destroy stuff, record the tire while driving down the road maybe bad shock too.

I get my tires balanced regularly because I drive it more on the street that in the dirt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

There is only 1 length of axle that will come close to fitting that VW rear hub. Same for VW Bug, Karman Ghia, Thing, Porsche 924, 944 and maybe 914 as well. There are no "slightly longer, or little bit shorter, or anything of the sort. Just 1 size fits them all. It's NOT a Chevy or a Buick.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
There is only 1 length of axle that will come close to fitting that VW rear hub. Same for VW Bug, Karman Ghia, Thing, Porsche 924, 944 and maybe 914 as well. There are no "slightly longer, or little bit shorter, or anything of the sort. Just 1 size fits them all. It's NOT a Chevy or a Buick.

Well, then I don't know! I'm just going to drive it on the street for a while since it's difficult to get AAA to respond to "yeah yeah it's about 10 or 12 miles past that really deep wash. Take a left just past that Saguaro Cactus that looks like a cowboy waving. Then It's just a mile or so down in that canyon".
Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Post up a couple pictures of what your assembly looks like. It would help get you to where you need to be.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Here is pic of proper sequence of parts....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Only thing that may make difference is if you have rear disks and caliper bracket is of different thickness than stock backing plate there for not clamping outer portion of roller bearing properly or you may have wrong bearing cap....

And yes axle nut should torqued to 220+ ft-lbs ...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Here is pic of proper sequence of parts....
And yes axle nut should torqued to 220+ ft-lbs ...Dale

Mine is back together again except for installing the axle nut. I'm waiting on the new thicker ones. It looked exactly like the diagram that you showed. I have no doubts that it's together correctly. Except maybe??!
Dale M. wrote:
Only thing that may make difference is if you have rear disks and caliper bracket is of different thickness than stock backing plate there for not clamping outer portion of roller bearing properly or you may have wrong bearing cap.....Dale

But now you've mentioned something that I've been wondering about. Disc brakes and the bearing cap. Yes, it has disc brakes in the rear and I'm sure it's the right cap for this setup. However, the way the disc brake bracket and the bearing cap fit together just doesn't seem right.

I have caliper brackets that look like this: https://www.mooreparts.com/empi-22-2861-f-vw-bug-rear-disc-brake-kit-1968-1979-4-lug-vw-pattern/
If I'm doing it right, they fit behind the bearing cap. It seems like the only place they can fit! But now the cap doesn't fit all of the way down onto the bearing. It just seems wrong because the outer bearing now has wiggle room to slide back and forth. I assembled it without the axle so I could see inside and there is quite a bit of clearance between the cap and the end of the bearing.

I know the inner bearing is the one that aligns everything and holds it all in place with the snap ring but it just seems wrong that the outer bearing is no longer clamped in place. I've checked numerous web sites to see what all is included with the disc brake kit but I'm not missing anything according the them. I've had a suspicion that this isn't right but can't find anything to show that it's wrong. Is the outer bearing supposed to be clamped? What say you?
Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

This is a JBugs video about the assembly of aftermarket Disc Brakes on a type 1 It may help you with your issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKi4ItM0JLU

Post photos
A picture is worth a thousand words
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Thanks for the video. Mines the same as that. Question: Does the outer bearing need to be clamped in the pocket by the bearing cap? In other words: Should the bearing cap tighten down on the bearing?
Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Wulfthang wrote:
Thanks for the video. Mines the same as that. Question: Does the outer bearing need to be clamped in the pocket by the bearing cap? In other words: Should the bearing cap tighten down on the bearing?

I would think so, but I do not know the exact answer to that. It seems that the thickness of the caliper mount should be the exact same thickness as the original drum brake backing plate. If it is the same thickness then the clamping stack up would be the same.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Wulfthang wrote:

Yes, its what keeps bearing centered and outer shell from rotating....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Mike E. wrote:
Wulfthang wrote:

I would think so, but I do not know the exact answer to that. It seems that the thickness of the caliper mount should be the exact same thickness as the original drum brake backing plate. If it is the same thickness then the clamping stack up would be the same.

Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Ok well mine is not clamping down on the bearing. I can see clearance between the bearing end and the inside of the cap. I tried assembling it without the caliper bracket and the cap slides on further. What could be the problem? I have never seen any kind of shim or anything like that in any diagram. Did they make different caps?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Contact Empi
http://dev.empius.com/instructions/99-4410-0.pdf

It is loose like we have been saying. Either a spacer is worn and needs to be replaced or a shim is needed.

Photos would be helpful!!!!!!!!!!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Either the caliper bracket is to thick or you have wrong bearing cap, yes there is three different caps over the years...

Check part numbers on both caps, if failing side is different from side that does not go bad, there may be your issue....

Or measure thickness of bracket, it could be to thick and not letting cap actually clamp bearing...

Dale

Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Updated with photo's Reply with quote

I was doing the final assembly work on it this morning and discovered something interesting. The trailing arm is a beefed up OEM VW arm. It has the gusset kit welded on top and bottom of the arm but also has the old school extra 1/4" plates welded on to the bearing pocket end, top, front and bottom.
Side view

Bottom view.

Because of the extra plates, the caliper bracket would not fit into place. I had to mill out the inside sides of the bracket so it would fit. Evidently, I missed a section!

If you look on the left side, just above the label on the hammer underneath it, you'll see a wear mark where it's been crunching against the trailing arm plate.

This one shows that the bracket has NOT been laying flat on the trailing arm bearing pocket housing. You can see it in the dirt pattern. The right side is fairly clean because it's been clamped down but the left side is dirty. You can see the outline of the mounting surface around the screw holes. (Sorry. No red arrows!!)

That means that the caliper bracket was not laying flat on the bearing pocket housing and that means that the bearing cap was not flat either. The bottom side was held out from the housing so only the top side of the bearing was getting clamped. That may have been causing the problem.

I milled it out a little further so now it all fits flush. The bearings were West German. Maybe between the two, my bearing problems are over.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

Keeping fingers crossed....

Dale

stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings keep going bad??!! Reply with quote

looks like you may have found the culprit especially with all the dirt sneaking in there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: