Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission broke while on the highway
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnTheVanagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

I’m stuck on what to do next. My local mechanic in Vegas suggest I just order a rebuilt transmission but I don’t know where to get one for a good price. My friend suggest to take it to a transmission spot where he says the Cuban guy who works there can fix transmission. What would you guys do?
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

Well, where are you right now?
Depending on that, ordering up a rebuilt and having a local shop install it might be the best bet.
And don't go cheap on the rebuilt transmission.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

That sucks. I've been there. I looked for a shop that works on german sports cars figuring they would have a better idea than some random shop. When I broke down in Indianapolis, I found (randomly on google) a shop that fit that criteria, but the whole shop was out at the track racing that weekend, but the owner referred me to another place called RS Performance that worked on a lot of modified Audis. They ended up being amazingly accommodating to get us back on the road.

If I were in your shoes, I'd see if the Cuban guy can assess and tell you more before I ponied up for a rebuilt (and expedited) replacement.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

Bummer. A few questions:

- Manual or auto?
- What's your budget?

Ballpark $1500+ for "good" rebuilt manual, double that for an auto box...

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

There are some unique tools required that a “shop” would likely not have. What’s the symptom? Maybe a CV disconnected or broke.
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

These guys are in Bend, Oregon (Central Oregon, on Hwy 97). I have purchased a few rebuilt transmissions from them and have been very satisfied (and no, they were not all for the same rig!).
https://www.germantransaxle.com/

A "run of the mill transmission shop" will likely not be a good choice to have work done on your transmission. VW Vanagon transmissions are not ordinary, run of the mill transmissions and you don't want to pay somebody to learn on the job.
But as advised above, make sure it really is the transmission and not a busted axle or something simpler/cheaper.
What are the symptoms / what happened just before it failed? And your location is...?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

I got a rebuild from AZ Transaxle in Phoenix about year ago:

https://aztransaxle.com/transaxles

All went well. I opted for some additions which added to the price but hopefully improve drivability and reliability.

I had a local shop remove my old box which I then packed and shipped. They installed the rebuilt upon return.

I got a paper cut writing the check, otherwise no blood spilled.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

One of the best!

Dampcamper wrote:
These guys are in Bend, Oregon (Central Oregon, on Hwy 97). I have purchased a few rebuilt transmissions from them and have been very satisfied (and no, they were not all for the same rig!).
https://www.germantransaxle.com/

A "run of the mill transmission shop" will likely not be a good choice to have work done on your transmission. VW Vanagon transmissions are not ordinary, run of the mill transmissions and you don't want to pay somebody to learn on the job.
But as advised above, make sure it really is the transmission and not a busted axle or something simpler/cheaper.
What are the symptoms / what happened just before it failed? And your location is...?

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

He has an 88 Automatic.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OnTheVanagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

The mechanic told me the deferential broke. Would the $3000 dollar automatic transmission gowesty awls be my best bet?
OnTheVanagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

I’m going to go with the one from German transaxle for $2000. Should I get the ring and pinion upgrade since I have the 16 inch gowesty wheels?
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

Depends on your tire size. Anything above 28" would benefit from a 5.43R&P There are so many options when doing what you're doing. Also depends on what you do with your rig. Talk to Ken and he'll steer you in the right direction.

OnTheVanagain wrote:
I’m going to go with the one from German transaxle for $2000. Should I get the ring and pinion upgrade since I have the 16 inch gowesty wheels?

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

OnTheVanagain wrote:

1 - Ken and Katika at GTA in Bend are wonderful to work with. You've chosen well.

2 - What is the R&P "upgrade"? Is it the CHC 3.73 Super Flier? Something else? "Upgrade" can be a mysterious term.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Depends on your tire size. Anything above 28" would benefit from a 5.43R&P There are so many options when doing what you're doing. Also depends on what you do with your rig. Talk to Ken and he'll steer you in the right direction.

OnTheVanagain wrote:

Agreed on Ken. Disagree on the 5.43 since the OP apparently has a slushbox. Regardless, agree on the rec of the 5.43 v the 5.50.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
OnTheVanagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

Thanks for the all the help everyone I’ll update everyone after I get the transmission in
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

How did the differential fail? It’s easy to drop the pan and visually inspect it. They are also pretty heavy duty and I don’t recall seeing one fail under normal use. As I mentioned earlier a more common drive failure is a CV.
OnTheVanagain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
How did the differential fail? It’s easy to drop the pan and visually inspect it. They are also pretty heavy duty and I don’t recall seeing one fail under normal use. As I mentioned earlier a more common drive failure is a CV.

I ended up sending using the AAA tow to get the van to the mechanic so I don’t know. Last time we spoke he said the main bearing was failed. I did the CV joints myself 3 years ago with the help of Steve from this website.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

You haven't said where you are at. Maybe 15 years ago I lost a recently rebuilt final drive and pickup up a used replacement for for peanuts. Been running fine ever since.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

Hmm. Differential fail. Then main bearing fail. And the OP never gave us any symptoms to help get a second opinion, nor where they are broken down.

Not a very good use of a talented bunch of forum folks. Good choice on the transaxle from Bend, though.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission broke while on the highway Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Hmm. Differential fail. Then main bearing fail. And the OP never gave us any symptoms to help get a second opinion, nor where they are broken down.

Not a very good use of a talented bunch of forum folks. Good choice on the transaxle from Bend, though.

I would be nice to get more information on the failure symptoms. Hard to know what a failed main bearing is in a system that has nothing called a main bearing in it TTBOMK. If it just stops going down the road without making a huge bang or making an ever increasing racket previously then that would point to a CV coming loose from its flange, and I would hate to see someone spring for a transaxle rebuild because of six loose or broken bolts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: