Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwadct
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

Thought I'd share our recent find with everyone. I'm not a hundred percent sure what this is, but I believe it to be a 1958 Westfalia Camping Box. According to the VIN it was born in October of 1957. It was originally Dove Blue, and most of the interior is in incredibly nice original paint! It is a Sub hatch bus, and with some research, also appears to be a pretty rare refrigerator bus. Though, sadly, that is long gone. The story goes, that a very dear friend of ours was approached by an older gentleman that said that he had an old bus that he wanted to pass on to someone because he had to take his barn down, so no longer had indoor storage and hated seeing it just under a tarp. He also was trying to finish a Triumph TR3 that actually fit in his useable garage next to his many motorcycles. He had owned this bus since 1981 and the last time it was registered was 1983! it definitely sounded like those two years were a LOT of fun! Wink He nearly cried when he signed over the title, that's tough to see from an old biker/hippie! So, we towed it home, started cleaning it up and are deciding what to do with it next. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome! It's an incredibly cool bus with a ton of originality and I would love some feedback on it. Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by vwadct on Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mastorna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

Needless to say it sounds like a dream find. Let’s get some photos posted so we can take a look.
1963 Type II Deluxe MG\PW
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

Shocked Popcorn
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

Nice find! Interior is a bit unusual for a 58 westy. It does not look like an original fridge-optioned bus. No roof vent or propane line to feed it from usual tank location. The positon of the knob on the drivers side cabinet door is atypical, most are centred onthe door not up high. The pass side cabinet has a strange lower door that appears to flip down, I have never seen that before. I do not think its original, knob is different and looks like plywood. Most have had two doors similar to drivers side cabinet, if non-fridge .

Cool bus. Do not throw anything away. Research well. These are oddball vehicles and parts are extremely hard to find. Check out my resurrection thread for my 58 for info. Search pressed bumper westfalia to learn more about them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

Neat. Have fun with it.

Keep that tent clean and dry. That is a rare find.
vwadct
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

These look right for a fridge bus?
buseric wrote:
Nice find! Interior is a bit unusual for a 58 westy. It does not look like an original fridge-optioned bus. No roof vent or propane line to feed it from usual tank location. The positon of the knob on the drivers side cabinet door is atypical, most are centred onthe door not up high. The pass side cabinet has a strange lower door that appears to flip down, I have never seen that before. I do not think its original, knob is different and looks like plywood. Most have had two doors similar to drivers side cabinet, if non-fridge .

Cool bus. Do not throw anything away. Research well. These are oddball vehicles and parts are extremely hard to find. Check out my resurrection thread for my 58 for info. Search pressed bumper westfalia to learn more about them.

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

Yes, the fridge has been removed by the looks of it then. Is there no copper pipe above the cargo doors? It would have run between the fridge and the stove cabinet that appears to be missing inside the forward cargo door.
adam beefcake bruno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

Man, I dig this bus!
Something I told Jeff, DO NOT scrub the tan paint off the interior of the bus. It may look like a hippie painted it because of the brush strokes and such, but that was applied at Westfalia. A very special pressed bumper Westfalia detail that IMO should be preserved. Just my 2 cents. Have fun with it, and let me know when you want me to take over Wink
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

vwadct wrote:

Sweet find! Looking forward to seeing what you do with this Westy.

What is up with the second gas door on the driver's long panel? Does the bus have two spouts going to the gas tank?

If so, talk about convenience when you pull into a busy gas station
vwadct
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

It is a prettycoolbus!
adam beefcake bruno wrote:
Man, I dig this bus!
Something I told Jeff, DO NOT scrub the tan paint off the interior of the bus. It may look like a hippie painted it because of the brush strokes and such, but that was applied at Westfalia. A very special pressed bumper Westfalia detail that IMO should be preserved. Just my 2 cents. Have fun with it, and let me know when you want me to take over Wink
vwadct
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

I haveno idea. It is a factorydoor, with lock and all. It is fullyfunctional,
but goes to nothing.
von_hansel wrote:
vwadct wrote:

What is up with the second gas door on the driver's long panel? Does the bus have two spouts going to the gas tank?

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

super nice find
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

vwadct wrote:
I haveno idea. It is a factorydoor, with lock and all. It is fullyfunctional,
but goes to nothing.
von_hansel wrote:
vwadct wrote:

There’s got to be a story to that extra gas door.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

adam beefcake bruno wrote:
Man, I dig this bus!

This is important.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

Not an expert, do have a question about when did the brush stroke beige paint end? My Wolfsburg '56 Westy was brush painted all over, door panels, everywhere! My '58 was PGSG, front cab was original Sand Green, no brush beige paint at all. Rear cargo area was sprayed Beige, not brushed.

This Bus is Dove Blue up front, so brushed in cargo area or sprayed?

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Not an expert, do have a question about when did the brush stroke beige paint end? My Wolfsburg '56 Westy was brush painted all over, door panels, everywhere! My '58 was PGSG, front cab was original Sand Green, no brush beige paint at all. Rear cargo area was sprayed Beige, not brushed.

Are you sure it was sprayed? I have only seen brush painted on the 3 '58s I have owned. The paint scheme you describe for the 58 pgsg spunds correct, although I would bet it was brushed. I would also guess that your Wolfsburg westy was a Westfalia special paint colour combination, these often had the entire cab area brush painted.

My dove blue 58 is brush painted in the rear.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Long-roofs wrote:

Are you sure it was sprayed? I have only seen brush painted on the 3 '58s I have owned. The paint scheme you describe for the 58 pgsg spunds correct, although I would bet it was brushed. I would also guess that your Wolfsburg westy was a Westfalia special paint colour combination, these often had the entire cab area brush painted.

My dove blue 58 is brush painted in the rear.

Not sure, have not owned a Westfalia since 1999. Sounds like I am misremembering the paint. I had a '60 and '61 So-23s, were those brushed in the cargo area?

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

I think they were brushed all the way up through so-23’s. I expect their painting got better as they went along.
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

My 2/58 definitely had brushed on paint
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Split Window Bus Westfalia Sub hatch Camping Box find Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Yes, the fridge has been removed by the looks of it then. Is there no copper pipe above the cargo doors? It would have run between the fridge and the stove cabinet that appears to be missing inside the forward cargo door.

It's probably been removed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: