Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red Fluid (ATF) Leak
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

As I posted in another topic, I just got my van back after months of service. But I keep finding new things to worry about.

I had a coolant leak previously — the coolant overflow tank kept running dry — but tightening up hoses proximal to the leak seemed to have solved that for now.

But today, after parking for a few hours, I seem to have found something new to worry about. It looks like there’s ATF leaking from a small dimple and a good size wet spot underneath.

One, any guesses what’s going on? And how much faith should I still have in the shop they did the work if this happened a few days after getting a brand new transmission put in?

I’ve only owned this van for a few days, so please assume I have no idea what I’m talking about

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid 🩸 Reply with quote

The oil isn't coming from that dimple. You can see in the first picture where it's dripping down from. That's a remove the trans and fix job.

Last edited by 4Gears4Tires on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid 🩸 Reply with quote

good eye, was looking at in the dark. 😀

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid 🩸 Reply with quote

It might be your transmission output shaft seal or something along those lines. People more familiar with the autos will chime in.

My gf has nicknamed my Vanagon a similar nickname, Kurt Vanagon. Heh. Of course, I just call it "the van."
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid 🩸 Reply with quote

my favorite author Very Happy I had 5 months to think of a name.

the shop is 3 hours away — I wonder if I could get some advice as to whether or not I should drive it, and whether or not the leak could have damaged the transmission. (Freshly rebuilt by GTA)

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

You can drive that , Ben.

Read the manual on the ATF level check procedure, top off before you leave, and check it midway after a bit of cool off. I’m guessing you will need less than a liter

Unlike an engine, when an ATF gets low on fluid, the transfer of torque is the first thing to get affected, so in a sense, it is damage limiting.

Drive it with awareness about the shifting , which is a good idea on any vehicle
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid 🩸 Reply with quote

thebigben wrote:
my favorite author Very Happy I had 5 months to think of a name.

the shop is 3 hours away — I wonder if I could get some advice as to whether or not I should drive it, and whether or not the leak could have damaged the transmission. (Freshly rebuilt by GTA)

edit: I was thinking it was the oil pan seal, but looking again it is coming from above the oil pan. As been said maybe the shaft seal.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:57 am; edited 2 times in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

That transmission looks recently overhauled. You may want to look through the records for a overhaul. It may be under some warranty. You can drive it dripping forever if you keep the level full other than the mess. But yes, it likely is leaking between the auto section and the differential section. The bent pan happens. Next time the pan is off, it can be hammered out. You don't want the pan deflected enough that it blocks flow on the inlet of the pump.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

I thought the black part was the motor, I was too focused on the leak. It looks like it's leaking in between the two sections of the trans, from the shifting section to differential section.

I would suspect it's this outer ring gasket (near the bottom of the picture) since the leak looks like it goes up around for a bit.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

IMO call the shop that did the install and ask them what to do. If it is under warranty you do not want a bunch of internet jockeys (us) telling you what is OK to do. You might accidentally (and with good intentions) do something that voids the warranty.

The leak likely is not the shops 'fault' if all they did was install a rebuilt transmission and it happens to have a bad seal. But they should honor a warranty claim most likely.

Let us know what happens.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

^ 100%!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

I do not know if rebuilders are still using them, but originally there were 2 paper gaskets on each side of the auto end plate that were also part of the sealing. It's also important to measure and shim between the differential and automatic sections.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

thebigben wrote:
And how much faith should I still have in the shop they did the work if this happened a few days after getting a brand new transmission put in?

As long as they're willing to stand behind their work and make it right, have plenty of faith.

My own GTA auto trans rebuild and install needed to go back to the installer to sort out some issues and it's all been great since then.

Similarly, back in January my 2018 Subaru Crosstrek needed to have the engine rebuilt with only 15k miles on it (!!!!!). After 2k miles on the rebuild (yesterday) it had to go back to get the oil pan resealed because it was leaking.

Stuff happens and if you can't fix it yourself you don't really know how hard it can be to get right the first time.
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

thanks for all the responses. talked to the shop and it'll be headed back there soon (but they said it'll be okay to drive if I keep topping it off)

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

I seem to remember others having o-ring leakage issues at that one o-ring after rebuilds.
Wasn’t there a post about a GTA trans leaking there, and GTA felt they had a bad batch of O-Rings?
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

Checked my ATF today and it was bone dry. Tried filling it up a bit, but quickly realized I might as well just pour the bottle directly onto the pavement. Rolling Eyes

Sure hope that it hasn't already been damaged! I wasn't having any shifting trouble/noise.

It'll get towed from SF to Chico on Monday.

Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

When were you checking it? This has been said many places, but is always worth repeating, the fluid has to be checked after you drive it and warm it up for at least 10 minutes and then checked while the van is running. Without that, the level will be way off, ask me how I know.

When you poured it in, did it actually leak directly out? The leak in the picture needs to be addressed, but it doesn't look like it's just an open hole. The fact that it's driving fine suggests that it's holding a decent amount of fluid. The difference between off the bottom of the stick and the full mark is somewhere around half a quart if I remember right. The trans holds a LOT more than that. The point is, it's probably ok in general and just needs to get the leak dealt with. Hoping for a warranty for you as that's major work to deal with.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

thebigben wrote:
Checked my ATF today and it was bone dry. Tried filling it up a bit, but quickly realized I might as well just pour the bottle directly onto the pavement. Rolling Eyes

Sure hope that it hasn't already been damaged! I wasn't having any shifting trouble/noise.

It'll get towed from SF to Chico on Monday.

That makes no sense. If the trans leaked 3 qts of fluid it would be everywhere. It also would have shifting problems if it were empty. Probably is best to tow it to someone knowledgeable.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

I would be concerned that it is coming out the vent and running down from above. As others mentioned it doesn't look like much of a leak at this point. I would recommend removing the differential fill plug and checking the level of the gear oil within before driving it further. This requires some form of a 17mm allan tool.

You want it on a car hauler as automatic transmissions don't take kindly to being towed unless the axle shafts are removed first.
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Fluid (ATF) Leak Reply with quote

The fluid was checked with the engine running for 10+ minutes, but not driving. When I checked before the engine was running, the level was much higher than the marks on the dipstick.

It didn't leak "directly" out, but with the engine running, started dripping heavily, about once a second -- enough to form a solid puddle within a minute or so.

Just to be clear, I never said I filled it with 3Q. I started filling slowly, and checking for leaks as I went. I stopped once I noticed how fast it was leaking.

This morning I checked and it was clear that it really did all drip out.

I haven't tried running or shifting since this experience, for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the recommendation on car hauler.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: