Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 bogged down in traffic
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

I have a 90 2.1 with an Automatic.

I've got 2,200 miles on the engine "refresh"..... head gaskets, rings, rod bearings.......

It has been running great though the fuel mileage isn't what I'd like to see, only about 16 on the last fill.

I noticed the idle will hang up about 1200-1400 rpm if I gently remove my foot from the throttle, if I kick the pedal and it will drop to 900 or so.

The linkage or the throttle body itself is hanging up.
I need to fix this but it is running very well (until today) and life is insanely hectic right now so I've put it off.

Today it was in the 80’s and I got stuck in a long line at a very short light.
A good 10 minute crawling forward idling wait.

The closer I moved towards the light I noticed I was losing power and when I finally got the green, I barely crawled through the intersection.

I know the throttle hangs up at idle.
I know the TPS doesn't close when this happens.

I'm thinking with the TPS open, I'm getting too much fuel at idle and after a prolonged period of idling, I was flooding out, hence the bogged down lack of power.

Once moving again, after a few miles my normal pep returned. The plugs burned off the crap from idling.

With my understanding of the Digifant system....
Would I be correct on this diagnosis?

I'm thinking that I better be fixing that sticky throttle sooner rather than later!

Or is there another possible cause?

Thanks!
Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

I don’t like that diagnosis. I would idle it for 19 I the driveway and see if that reproduces. Maybe even pull the plugs and see if they foul.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

how smooth was the engine idling during this time? if the mixture had gotten bad enough foul plugs, you'd be running rough.

but it still could be mixture related.. how old is your O2 sensor? a smooth idle with little power also acts like a disconnected AFM. you don't have any green weenies in the plug at the AFM?

but Occam's Razor would say it is a heat related problem... idling 10 minutes at 80F spikes crazy high temps under the lid.

- how low was your fuel level? if rilly low, the fuel could have warmed up from engine recirculation to cause suction side cavitation. low fuel pressure would give a smooth idle with no reserve for when load increases. any restriction on the pump intake side, like from a prefilter or tank screen plugging will increase this chance. you running a prefilter?

- other heat related guesses are free too!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

I have an owner's auto van on the lift at the moment for an automatic trans replacement. I noticed that the underside of the rod between the throttle plate and the transmission has been dragging across the throttle body linkage for some time. I assume at some point the rod must have been bent out of alignment. For it to work it needs to pull square to the throttle plate.

This could affect how the throttle closes from time to time and that would affect the TPS function. Kicking the throttle, might let it completely return. You may want to inspect the underside of the rod where it attaches to the throttle body.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

also the ball socket connection for the front throttle cable and the transmission relay lever gets buggered up with age and doesn't allow that last little bit of return motion.
it's apain to deal with it up on the lever. but the lever can easily be taken off the input shaft of the transmission and brought down/twisted to a better working position.

a little grease or anti-seize in the ball socket will give years of smooth action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

do you have gas in the tank Laughing

dragging throttle linkage was an issue i had when i put this engine in the Westy. the throttle would hang open just enough to not close the TPS. it would bog down after a bunch of stop lights, i had to use my foot to flip the pedal up and close the TPS.

resolved with some filing of the barrel to make it not bind in the throttle lever.

BiWerks Design, LLC
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

I had like symptoms once upon a time. Chased down all the usual suspects. Long story short, it was the AFM. The door would bind and not open properly with throttle. Opening the throttle would allow more air, but the AFM door wouldn't properly correspond making the engine go lean until the AFM caught up and would drive fine. A rebuilt AFM not a "known good used one" which is nothing more than a worn part made the car drive like new.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, 80+° it was hot!

The front cooling fan operated as designed and the gauge remained steady just below the LED

Filled tank in NJ and had only put about 40 miles on when I encountered the traffic.

Oxygen sensor has 2,200 mikes on it. It has the proper plug on it, not the universal kit.

TPS was adjusted to spec with feeler gauges off the engine.
Shaft wear exists but not horrible, though a little wear just may be my issue.

Thanks for the "where to look" ideas!
Much appreciated.

Now to actually look at it!

I'm thinking my sticking TPS is my poor mpg hog. It isn't doing the fuel shut off while coasting as speed.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

AceTaylor wrote:
I had like symptoms once upon a time. Chased down all the usual suspects. Long story short, it was the AFM. The door would bind and not open properly with throttle. Opening the throttle would allow more air, but the AFM door wouldn't properly correspond making the engine go lean until the AFM caught up and would drive fine. A rebuilt AFM not a "known good used one" which is nothing more than a worn part made the car drive like new.

Thanks for the tip!
But

During my engine "refresh" I checked every wire, every connection and the function of each component.

Using 10c tutorial on AFM testing........ it checked out like brand new!
No dead spots, smooth needle movement, no sticky air vane.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
do you have gas in the tank Laughing

dragging throttle linkage was an issue i had when i put this engine in the Westy. the throttle would hang open just enough to not close the TPS. it would bog down after a bunch of stop lights, i had to use my foot to flip the pedal up and close the TPS.

resolved with some filing of the barrel to make it not bind in the throttle lever.

What is the "barrel" you filed?
The slug with the hole that fits in the throttle lever?
Kick down Spring on the rear pushes against it?

It wasn't rotating in the bore in the lever?
Or the rod was binding in the bore?

It is good to hear that the bind was causing you to bog down too!

I realized I'm not carrying spare spark plugs! Gotta fix that oversight!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

The manual throttle cable has a lot more flexibility than the auto. When you examine closely how it works, it’s actually surprising it does. The ridged rod is not forgiving. Any misalignment can cause resistance as the barrel rotates as the linkage moves through its arch. Add to that the rod is spring loaded against the barrel.

A spring loaded cable like Audi and vw ended up using would be a much better solution.
Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

Any chance you can post a link to the 10c AFM test? My 1.9 has a similar issue. Once my engine is running a little hotter than normal, like on a hot day in some stop and go traffic it'll find it's idle closer to 1100 rpm. Doesn't over heat, radiator fan kicks in at both levels, but it has that same funky higher idle.

Does the AFM use temp sensor data to make mix adjustments?

I talked to my mechanic one day about this, and he didn't seem alarmed as long as it's not wildly high idle or over heating. But I would like to pin point or at least rule out the AFM.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

What is the "barrel" you filed?
The slug with the hole that fits in the throttle lever?

It wasn't rotating in the bore in the lever?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

yes, the barrel that connects the solid linkage from the tranny to the throttle butterfly valve lever. it is supposed to rotate as the throttle is opened and then rotate as it closes. mine was binding right at the end of the travel.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

Dave , I don’t think an incorrect idle will lower your mileage to the 16 mpg on a country trip like your NJ to PA trip. You should be getting near 20 mpg fir that cruise, unless you are in a lot of traffic
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Dave , I don’t think an incorrect idle will lower your mileage to the 16 mpg on a country trip like your NJ to PA trip. You should be getting near 20 mpg fir that cruise, unless you are in a lot of traffic

You need to understand that the one TPS does multiple tasks.

Zero throttle, closed at idle activates the idle control system.

Full throttle pedal to the metal the TPS activates fuel enrichment

Any position in between is normal fuel delivery driving

Zero throttle at speed (think letting fully off of pedal while down a hill) shuts off fuel delivery.

If the throttle doesn't fully close at idle, the TPS doesn't close, the idle control doesn't control idle speed the injectors delivering at speed fuel do ..... and when the foot is removed from the pedal at speed, again the TPS doesn't close and the injectors aren't shut down, they just keep on squirting fuel when it isn't needed.

Poor explanation I know...... but hope it makes sense.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

It does, but none of that will Cost you 20% of your fuel efficiency on a town drive, with presumably very little idle or full throttle operation

I’m just pointing out that after you get your TPS and linkage sorted, I think more work orders will be issued

Luvya! ❤️
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

Hey Dave:

Since you are in the part of the world where the roads are salted and Vanagons can just melt away with rust, I think it might be a good idea to check the wiring between the Temp 2 sensor and the ECU and also the wiring between the AFM air temp sensor and the ECU. These sensors are both Negative Temperature Coefficient designs and any resistance in the circuit will cause the ECU to add fuel. I have seen the Vanagon wiring corrode from a terminal up to 1/2" under the wire's sheath. That adds resistance.

Also, the mechanical function of the AFM can be a problem if the flap hangs up on its shaft. This mechanical issue is not easy to observe. Perhaps some lubricant on that shaft would help. If this flap hangs up, then you can experience an over-rich AFR if it hangs up open too much and you can have problems with accelerating gently if the flap hangs up nearly closed. The '80s to '90's Toyota Bosch EFI AFM's were the same design and occasionally the flaps hung up in this way.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Hey Dave:

Since you are in the part of the world where the roads are salted and Vanagons can just melt away with rust, I think it might be a good idea to check the wiring between the Temp 2 sensor and the ECU and also the wiring between the AFM air temp sensor and the ECU. These sensors are both Negative Temperature Coefficient designs and any resistance in the circuit will cause the ECU to add fuel. I have seen the Vanagon wiring corrode from a terminal up to 1/2" under the wire's sheath. That adds resistance.

Also, the mechanical function of the AFM can be a problem if the flap hangs up on its shaft. This mechanical issue is not easy to observe. Perhaps some lubricant on that shaft would help. If this flap hangs up, then you can experience an over-rich AFR if it hangs up open too much and you can have problems with accelerating gently if the flap hangs up nearly closed. The '80s to '90's Toyota Bosch EFI AFM's were the same design and occasionally the flaps hung up in this way.

I had the harness on the bench this winter, I checked every wire and every connector.
I fixed a bad connection to the AFM.

Ten cent has an excellent AFM vane and wiper test.
My AFM passed with flying colors! Not once but multiple times.

I did not lubricate anything for lube often attracts dirt and has the opposite of the intended result!

It runs excellent, the power blows me away!
This was the first "problem" of any sort and I'm now 2,200 miles in.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
zimflux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

Blakesinclair wrote:
Any chance you can post a link to the 10c AFM test?

Does the AFM use temp sensor data to make mix adjustments?

https://youtu.be/LjSyZ2-VOZg

The ECU uses the data from the temp sensor and AFM to reference a lambda table.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 bogged down in traffic Reply with quote

Well, I didn't pull the throttle body yet but I did lubricate the rod and pivot assembly at the throttle body.

It moves more freely after the lubrication but it still hangs up and doesn't return fully on gentle de-acceleration.

I'm thinking I need to follow the whole accelerator assembly up to the pedal.
Grease and lubricate.

On the Initial depression of the gas pedal there is a hard spot before it starts moving, like something is jammed or over rotated and needs to be over come.

Once over come, it works smoothly.

On the list of 100 other things to do this week!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: