Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Moving FL to NY.
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1971gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Moving FL to NY. Reply with quote

We are probably going to be moving our stuff in 2 trips. We have several pets, 3 cars( one is my non running 71) and all the regular stuff a family has.

When I took out the motor to rebuild it I transferred the plate to a different car. My VW is only insured right now on my home owners policy.

Should I get regular insurance on the 71. Antique insurance? Should I get a vehicle hauler to transport it or U-Haul it myself?

Any insight would be helpful.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Moving FL to NY. Reply with quote

You’re going the wrong way, the difference in taxes alone will eat your ass. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Moving FL to NY. Reply with quote

vehicle hauler is going to be 1200-1800 probably

you are already driving up with that number of vehicles; at least 1-2 trips I'd imagine

If I were you I would get a car transport trailer from uhaul and hook it up to your strongest rig capable of towing it with the bus on it

definitely get it insured

antique insurance has a number of restrictions such as 'needs' to be 'garaged' and some of them even say only to and from shows

State Farm has both my 71s insured at agreed value, 15 and 30k, for very short money a month, lucky for me there is room for my 71s in my 'garage'

edit

for anyone else reading this in the future do NOT GO WITH GEICO

they ONLY insure our babies at their MSRP....and to make it worse they don't take inflation into account, in fact, they take DEPRECIATION into account. NOT market value.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Moving FL to NY. Reply with quote

I'm assuming it's a typo.

Only you know what your insurance needs are. Is it a nut and bolt restoration? A rust box?

I would recommend a 4 wheel trailer. I've used the one from U-haul. It was just narrow enough for a bug.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving FL to NY. Reply with quote

Probably a wash between Uhaul flatbed and a check to a shipper , once extra gas is factored in, unless you do it in two long days.

Salary ups here exceed tax deltas by about 4x according to Tax Foundation. We do have a high local tax burden as our model is local control rather than county and state control
Evil Clown
Live

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving FL to NY. Reply with quote

U-Haul insurance will honor antiques,
and just cancel it when you arrive...

When you get it running, try USAA antique
insurance called American Collectors Insurance...

Safe travels Very Happy

Quote:
I'll take a Happy Meal with Prozac please

Quote:
kiss my airy VW ass

Quote:
German word for constapation:
Farfrompoopin

Quote:
Chinese word for constipation:
Hung Chow Chow.. & it was GR8!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Moving FL to NY. Reply with quote

It doesn't have to be insured if you're not driving it. uHaul tow dolly one way or list it on www.uShip.com
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving FL to NY. Reply with quote

also rates for a shipper will vary depending on where in NY you are going. Tolls are a killer around the City.

If you have the time renting a truck and trailer may work well for you, move your stuff in the truck and car on trailer. If it needs to go quick a big shipper may be best but most likely you will need one for household and one for cars (DOT requirements). That said my parents moved to FL with a single cab and the household stuff in a moving truck. Inop will cost more to haul than runners as they just can't be driven on and off.

I have moved a guy down to FL from up here in 2 trips, a car and the rest of the trailer with the stuff from the house. (my Dot numbers allow me to haul anything except hazmat) IF you do not have much stuff to haul the VW and other stuff goes in a trailer and you guys drive the 2 runners with pets and some stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Moving FL to NY. Reply with quote

With a critical comma lacking, this topic might be the largest public works project ever undertaken.
1971gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Moving FL to NY. Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.
comcam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving FL to NY. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You’re going the wrong way, the difference in taxes alone will eat your ass. Laughing

Aint that the truth, moving from freedom to lockdowns!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving FL to NY. Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2449624
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: