Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is the Idiot's book really that valuable?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Now, what pages were the blotter stuffed between? Cool
It was the pages.

oprn wrote:
For you John Muir haters... when is your book coming out?

1964 Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had no idea this book existed! Sweet!

I will say though that the cover does not grab you quite like John's does. Technical manuals usually don't but technical isn't sexy... and John was selling books, not just information...

Have you done any upgrades to it since '67? My newest air cooled VW is a '68. I would definitely buy one that covers the newer ones as well.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
If you are broken down in the middle of nowhere with no phone or internet and limited tools, the idiot book would be the right book to have.

Is hilarious that a you tube generation of hacks to keep your. Wheels rolling disdains the printed version of the same.

My problem with Utube. So much of it is someone taking 25 minutes to show a 2 minute procedure. No organization of thoughts, no production value, bad camera work, worse editing and horrible sound. And that's on the better videos. 99% of it is garbage.

I'd rather watch grass grow or paint dry ... or read a manual written by an engineer. Laughing

Part of the problem is that if you have ads, it has to be over a certain length to shows ads / get paid.
So... the 10 minute introduction and lots of dumb filler content was born out of "necessity" in a lot of cases

I don't really care why they do it. It is still garbage.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
If you are broken down in the middle of nowhere with no phone or internet and limited tools, the idiot book would be the right book to have.

Is hilarious that a you tube generation of hacks to keep your. Wheels rolling disdains the printed version of the same.

My problem with Utube. So much of it is someone taking 25 minutes to show a 2 minute procedure. No organization of thoughts, no production value, bad camera work, worse editing and horrible sound. And that's on the better videos. 99% of it is garbage.

I'd rather watch grass grow or paint dry ... or read a manual written by an engineer. Laughing

+1000

Absolutely false. It’s 99.9% garbage.

If you can find someone to cullg it for you , the 0.1% is great. I still haven’t found a good YouTube to clean snow off my 1971 Bus, though

My fourth wife came with an Idiot Manual; well used.

Marriage: A step by step guide for the complete idiot... That would be a winner.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

I can say that as a 17 year old with a 66 Camper back in '87, the Muir book not only saved my ass, it empowered a young, clueless enthusiast to own VW's to this day. My mechanical experience up to that point was keeping my BMX tuned.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Quote:

We just call him Manny
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

This is actually dead on! Laughing

A modern correlation......the overall industry I work within ...the big bucket name for it....could be considered "screen and digital printing".

The primary end I work in is Industrial printing (appliances, industrial machines and controls), and printed electronics (aerospace, automotive, transportation, consumer and medical).

But the other end of the industry...the one the average person is familiar with...I used to spend a lot of time in years ago....and that would be T-shirt, apparel and textile printing.

Many of those guys...are just like you noted. They will blow off all written, previous/past expert knowledge that could set them straight in a day...decades of information.....in favor of on-line forums of group/consensus opinion....because it confirms what is in their head....and because of that they toil forever in the equivalent of printing junkyards...producing mediocre work.

There are the functional equivalents in the T-shirt printing industry....to John Muirs idiot book.....but most will not read it because its not on-line and instantly reviewed by people they have never met ....but whose opinions they trust...because they like their avatar!

Laughing

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

I just picked up a shopworn, 8th printing (1972) from one of our local libraries' used bookstores for $3, so they can still be had for next to nothing. I have a copy of almost every other air-cooled VW repair manual written in English, but never the Idiot's Guide. I have run across a few waterlogged copies of this book in junkyards over the years, but none in any condition worth taking.

As has been mentioned previously, the target audience for this publication is the first half of the baby boomer generation (the ones familiar with the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers). The Idiot's Guide contains lots of tricks and tips for those willing (or forced) to do their own maintenance and could be read from cover-to-cover within a week.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Let's look at another factoid regarding the "Idiot's book."
It is the first guide for the complete idiot that came to market.
Before all the other "Idiot" guides that are published today!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

This book while written in a style different from Muir attempts to get information to the consumers in a friendly manner.

FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:

As has been mentioned previously, the target audience for this publication is the first half of the baby boomer generation (the ones familiar with the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers).

You just know the Freak Bros. had a copy of the Idiot book.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

per the OP's original question, IMO no its not. not in todays day and age.

its a fun book, but not really that useful nor very accurate in some regards.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

IMO the idiot's guide is more valuable than just trashy advice as some argue. My point is, although some procedures or recommended approaches are indeed questionable , the fact remains that an individual who has neither experience nor mechanical aptitude CAN fix their own car in most cases just by being the idiot that follows the steps. My memory is shot, so I will often read a few paragraphs while tinkering to keep me on track.
I feel that if I could motivate her to do so ,even my wife could successfully wrench on my VW .........and that's saying alot!
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

A man that tells you he understands women is a complete idiot

+1000

Absolutely false. It’s 99.9% garbage.

If you can find someone to cullg it for you , the 0.1% is great. I still haven’t found a good YouTube to clean snow off my 1971 Bus, though

Marriage: A step by step guide for the complete idiot... That would be a winner.

Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

If a man tells you he understands women he's got it figured that the person he's talking to is a complete idiot
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

It was the manual that was well used... I hope... Shocked

And by the way, where can I buy an "Idiot Manual" for wives? My wife is convince that I am a complete idiot, so I could use some help!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

coad wrote:
The best thing about Muir is that you can quickly read through the procedure and get a feel for how difficult/dirty/nasty the job is likely to be. Most manuals are so dry that an oil change reads the same as a transmission rebuild, but if Muir tells you to tuck your hair into your stocking cap and get ready for a fight, that's good to know.

If Icy/Gary was here he'd be pissed hearing you say that.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
per the OP's original question, IMO no its not. not in todays day and age.

its a fun book, but not really that useful nor very accurate in some regards.

It’s lost on you. Go back to watching YouTube.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Keep it near the reading throne.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Was it a manual of step by step procedures for YOU, or for HER?
Wink
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

My take on this Topic is that there is many things people collect and finding a 1st Edition John Muir Idiot Book in very good condition will complete a collection, they are hard to find, I sold one a couple years ago for $50 bucks at a Swap Meet but try to get that kind of money for a 2nd Edition or later, you just have to find the right person.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: