Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is the Idiot's book really that valuable?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

I may need to list mine...

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/d/tustin-vw-repair-manual-how-to-keep/7315069759.html
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Nope! Lol

Maybe if it’s signed by the author. Maybe. 🤷‍♂️

Mine was free. It was signed by the original owner of my ‘66.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

That's what I thought. I have two: An early 80's spiral bound version, and a 90's paperback bound version. I didn't pay more than $20 for either of them.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

No.. get the Bently manual.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

They are more like $15 in really good condition.

Same here though - I think the ones I have I got for free with cars
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
I may need to list mine...

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/d/tustin-vw-repair-manual-how-to-keep/7315069759.html

This is just another example of a seller trying to extract a maximum price. Plenty of examples of this book on Amazon or eBay around 20 bucks or less.. What you need to know about these books is anything past early to mid 70s is run of the mill common. You want a first edition 1969 or very early 70s, that’s it.
Here’s a 1971 edition of mine, the cover is different take a look.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313491632789

I got a couple spares
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

That is the absolute worst automotive manual I have ever read. Other people may disagree, but that is my opinion.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
That is the absolute worst automotive manual I have ever read. Other people may disagree, but that is my opinion.

I suppose that’s why over 50 years later it’s still in demand. Lol. When it came out it had very little competition, perhaps it’s nostalgic who knows?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
AirHead1966 wrote:

I suppose that’s why over 50 years later it’s still in demand. Lol. When it came out it had very little competition, perhaps it’s nostalgic who knows?

Every copy comes with a few hits of "blotter" hidden withing the pages.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

For me, I use it to help my teenage daughter understand principles. The artwork is great, and things are written in an easy to understand way. Do I depend on it for the details? HELL NO!
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
AirHead1966 wrote:

Every copy comes with a few hits of "blotter" hidden withing the pages.

4-way Window Pane, baybee! Wink
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Worthless....no. It is entertaining. ..and as other have mentioned...its good for total idiots to get the grasp of what the ACVW is and what it needs....but only what it needs bare minimum.

As someone mentioned in another thread last week...it was written in the days when even the highest miles used VW was probably much newer than anything out there today....and you could not go 50 miles in any direction in the US...without passing a shop or boneyard full of fresh parts to scrape together a repair if you had "0" money.

There are a few small nuggets in the fuel injection section for type 3 and 4...mainly about what matches up with what and changes in the systems....but aside from that it was clear that JM admired the tech in the fuel injection but hated them in general.

Its not a serious book for REAL service.

As the title says....its just for keeping them alive.....not insuring anything is particularly done correctly....or will survive long term. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Certain chapters and topics stand out. The most important is how to check out and evaluate a VW you are buying. The rap on timing is worth reading. Other things like using hammers and chisels to tighten nuts and bolts, not so much.to make a statement the book is a pile of shit only tells me a person didn’t read it or maybe comprehend the info. You are lucky this book and a Chilton’s manual is all we had.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

I could see a first edition/first printing being worth some coin. The value of the info in the book itself is not worth much anymore, but back in the days before the internet it was priceless to me for tuning and maintaining my first VW engine. All for a tiny fraction of the cost of a Bentley manual. Is all the info accurate? No, but back in the day it was the best budget option. I always looked at it as a philosophy book with some good tips for tuning/repairing a VW air-cooled.

You should check out John Muir's other book "The Velvet Monkeywrench" it's a pretty wild political manifesto, mostly crazy and un-workable but I do like the part about having drivers license levels based on driving skill and experience.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Other things like using hammers and chisels to tighten nuts and bolts, not so much.

Yeah, that one always struck me as a bad idea. The first axle nut I had to deal with i bought a Harbor Freight 19mm-50mm socket set that i still have almost 30 years later. Seemed cheaper than replacing a destroyed nut. I still refer to chisel marks on hacked up nuts as "The Mark of Muir".
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

If you are broken down in the middle of nowhere with no phone or internet and limited tools, the idiot book would be the right book to have.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
If you are broken down in the middle of nowhere with no phone or internet and limited tools, the idiot book would be the right book to have.

Is hilarious that a you tube generation of hacks to keep your. Wheels rolling disdains the printed version of the same.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

I found it captivating & invaluable as both an instruction manual & entertainment that was easy to read & understand when I started working on VWs... when I was 7. While my dad was just trying “to keep his VW alive”, I helped & even fixed things on his car (and the parts car) and it was very satisfying when the car sprung to life after I did something to it, all with the help of that horrible Rolling Eyes book.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Funny isn't it how we can look back 50 years and condemn people for doing what they could with the best knowledge they had. He was a life saver for the guy on a budget trying to keep an economy car on the road. His book was never intended to be "the Bible" for today's Chinese clone 8K rpm 250+ HP 1/4 mile expert.

Henry Ford sure built a piece of shi!! for a car too if it comes right down to it. Not many people got 200K miles out of a Model T.

I don't understand what gives you guys licence to drag up someone's work from 50 years ago and expect it to meet modern standards! Heck, 30 years from now your kids are going to look at your air cooled VW, think "What the *&#$@? was he trying to do. There are a hundred better ways to accomplish that!", shake their heads and haul it all off the the recyclers!

If you don't have John Muir's book, buy one. It's a classic in my view, read it in the context it was written in for the entertainment value and you just might pick up a tip or two as well. Would I pay $100 for one? Nope but the one I have ain't going nowhere and some cold winter day I am going to finish coloring in those great illustrations with penile crayons!

For you John Muir haters... when is your book coming out?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Certain chapters and topics stand out. The most important is how to check out and evaluate a VW you are buying. The rap on timing is worth reading. Other things like using hammers and chisels to tighten nuts and bolts, not so much.to make a statement the book is a pile of shit only tells me a person didn’t read it or maybe comprehend the info. You are lucky this book and a Chilton’s manual is all we had.

I still have my 50 year old Big Blue Chilton-----all 1536 pages of it
It tells you how to fix a Buick or a Gremlin or a Pontiac GTO or a Falcon
"PLUS Volkswagen"
A hefty 7 pounds of information for $10.95.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Is the Idiot's book really that valuable? Reply with quote

Dang! I touched a nerve with some people. It is just my opinion, nothing personal against anyone else's opinion.

Don't get all offended folks. Ease up, and do what Muir would do - light one up, take a long drag, hold and exhale slowly Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: