Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle Clutch Cable
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Beetle Clutch Cable Reply with quote

I have done the Adjustment on my Clutch cable on my Beetle and added the washers and tightened it up etc but the Clutch pedal seems to still go very low when engaging Gear.The Cable looks fairly new,any ideas?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Clutch Cable Reply with quote

Worn clutch disc, weak pressure plate. ?
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Clutch Cable Reply with quote

I would suggest to first double check the adjustment. I believe the spec is 1/2” to 3/4” clutch pedal free play measured at the top of the pedal pad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Clutch Cable Reply with quote

Callookbeetle wrote:
I have done the Adjustment on my Clutch cable on my Beetle and added the washers and tightened it up etc but the Clutch pedal seems to still go very low when engaging Gear.The Cable looks fairly new,any ideas?

Could be cracked/broken clutch pedal itself (had pedals on both my VWs welded to fix)

Could be bad clutch pedal hook

Could be broken clutch tube mount inside the tunnel (there are three); these also broke on my two VWs.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Clutch Cable Reply with quote

Callookbeetle wrote:
I have done the Adjustment on my Clutch cable on my Beetle and added the washers

Explain the washers; on bowden tube or somewhere else???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Clutch Cable Reply with quote

Yes the washers are on the Bowden Tube ,I saw it online and the Bowden Tube has a slight bend and even when it's tightening right up the peddle still goes down quite far when engaging Gear
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Clutch Cable Reply with quote

Callookbeetle wrote:
Yes the washers are on the Bowden Tube ,I saw it online and the Bowden Tube has a slight bend and even when it's tightening right up the peddle still goes down quite far when engaging Gear

Pushing the pedal in results in the clutch/gear disengaging, whereas letting the pedal up results in the clutch/gear engaging -- so are you having a problem where the clutch engages only when the pedal is near fully released or is it a problem where the clutch will not disengage until the pedal is near fully depressed?
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Clutch Cable Reply with quote

It's putting the Gear in whilst driving,the gear goes in fine but I've noticed that the pedal goes near enough to the floor whilst doing so when it didn't previously if that makes sense
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Clutch Cable Reply with quote

Callookbeetle wrote:
I've noticed that the pedal goes near enough to the floor whilst doing so when it didn't previously if that makes sense

Could be cracked/broken clutch pedal itself (had pedals on both my VWs welded to fix)
Could be broken clutch tube mount inside the tunnel (there are three); these also broke on my two VWs.
Bad/stretched cable
Bad bowden tube
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Clutch Cable Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Callookbeetle wrote:
I've noticed that the pedal goes near enough to the floor whilst doing so when it didn't previously if that makes sense

Bad/stretched cable
Bad bowden tube

Sadly, I've had every one of these (except weld breakage inside the tunnel) happen to me over the years, so check for all of them!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Clutch Cable Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Callookbeetle wrote:

Bad/stretched cable
Bad bowden tube

Sadly, I've had every one of these (except weld breakage inside the tunnel) happen to me over the years, so check for all of them!

I've had all except the bowden tube issue on both my 1970 and my 1971; I've owned them since 1972 and 1976 respectively.

I've experienced just once a broken clutch cable when I've been driving, had just gotten off the freeway in California back in 1979 driving the 1970; but I had a spare cable and wingnut with me, changed it in a mortuary parking lot.

I've not myself experienced an accelerator cable break on mine while driving, but an old girlfriend did, and so did Mrs. Cusser. Mrs. Cusser experienced a clutch cable breaking in the 1971.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: