Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear seat jail bar - question on bracket
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Rear seat jail bar - question on bracket Reply with quote

I have a new jail bar kit from the PO. Along with that I got the thicker bar that goes across the top of the back rear seat.

The kit came with three brackets. I placed green tape to show where the two holes to screw the brackets are.

But, there are only, 2 spots not three under the new upholstery. I felt a half dozen times with my finger to make sure.

I am 99% certain these the original seats for the 1966 deluxe.

I suppose its no issue just mounting the two? Also, do you know the size screw? I think its a M6, but no other details.

Thank you
-Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat jail bar - question on bracket Reply with quote

Weird it only has 2 seat brackets that you can feel.

Luggage bar screw detail in this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452402

Spoiler: M6x25, highly polished.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat jail bar - question on bracket Reply with quote

Thank you Everett.

I actually had ordered those screws and forget I did. BUT, I have a problem.

I just proceeded to get the bar and brackets installed. Started by making a small opening in the upholstery to make it less likely to snag any material when screwing in.

Well, there were two openings alright, but nothing on the back side to receive to the bolt. I wondered if the person that upholstered removed whatever holds the bolts?

As an alternative, is the back made of cardboard? I wondered if I could put in screws and have that hold the bar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat jail bar - question on bracket Reply with quote

I'm guessing that is not an original Deluxe seat back.

As you said, Deluxes have the brackets welded on, like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Side bracket on left for all seats and Deluxe luggage bar bracket for the bar

There is normally a cardboard backing in there but it's really thin, I don't think it would support the bar.
I wonder if you are going to have to remove the upholstery and add the brackets?
I think someone makes them to weld on there.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat jail bar - question on bracket Reply with quote

Thank you Everett for this detail...

I have upholstered before on my 73 Beetle and came out great actually, but a pro did these for the PO hired and it is all stitched up far better than I could do.

I may either try to locate the guy or go without.

Thanks again
-Mark
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat jail bar - question on bracket Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1946956

This fellow makes them. I bought mine from Izz a million years ago.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: