Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

parking/emergency brake lever
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
viking874
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: parking/emergency brake lever Reply with quote

does anyone know where or who sells the parking brake lever for early 60's split (push button handle)? so weird, i can't find any of the VW parts guys who sell them.

thanks,
tony
2010 Meyers Manx
1985 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60
1988 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62
1986 Mercedes G Wagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ted698
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: parking/emergency brake lever Reply with quote

Its probably because they are almost impossible to remove.
The large bottom pin tends to rust in place, I've heard horror stories of people actually belting the entire pin bracket off the bottom of the bus and the pin not moved one iota.... Shocked
So its the one thing that tends to stay on all thru resto... the pain is not worth the gain in removing. Wink
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: parking/emergency brake lever Reply with quote

x2 on above. They don't tend to go bad, so why would they be reproed?

Did you look in the samba classifieds?
You can also place a wanted ad. Odds are there is a rusted hulk with a perfectly good lever on it, that someone can sawsall through the pin and remove and sell you.
I have seen new pins for sale. People cut through the rusted in place pin to remove the lever to replace the rusted front floor.

BTW, there are two versions of the lever, it changed around VIN 501 xxx, at the same time the shift lever changed. Make sure you get the right version for your bus.
viking874
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: parking/emergency brake lever Reply with quote

i was able to get my rusted in pin out by drilling out center and using crazy amount of the blue wrench. I just ordered the replacement pin with zerk fitting.

thank you all for the helpful suggestions.
2010 Meyers Manx
1985 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60
1988 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62
1986 Mercedes G Wagen
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: