Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - SOLVED!!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

I have some bbizarre electricaal issues and I'm hoping someone can shed some light.
New Rear Lights - Last summer I got new structures to hold all the rear tail lights. After a lot of help from the forum I got everything working properly. Brake lights reverse lights, brake lights, side marker, blinkers, everything worked great.

I recently noticed that my reverse lights were on all the time when the headlights are on. Also, the amber lights only light when turn signal is on. (Maybe thats the only time they should work?)
Brake lights work fine.

Tried new backup switch - Didn't solve the problem.

Then I noticed a new issue. If you estart the bus, then turn the headlights on, then turn the key off but leave the lights on, the engine remains running.
To kill the electric fuel pum[ and the engine you need to turn the headlights off. Sometimes when you shut off the ignition the horn also goes off.

To troubleshoot I undid anything new added since the lights originally worked properly.

Unhooked the terminals under bus to new horn I installed. Engine still runs if turned off when headlights are on.

Took out new led headlights and put the old headlights back in. - no change. Problem persists.

Disconnected power going from fuel pump to relay that was added. Connected fuel pump directly to coil. Problem persists.

So nothing that has been added is the cause, but what would cause the headlight switch to controll power to the fuel pump?

I'm baffled. Shocked

Last edited by dr8track on Mon May 17, 2021 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

Bazaar electrical problems are often caused by bad grounds, though I an not sure that is what is going on here or not. Maybe a coin has fallen onto the fuse box and is shorting several circuits together?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

Or a major harness short between the ignition circuit and the tail lamp circuit. Pull the appropriate fuses and see if any of them stop the engine issue
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

dr8track wrote:
Then I noticed a new issue. If you estart the bus, then turn the headlights on, then turn the key off but leave the lights on, the engine remains running.

I had the same issue when I first got mine. It was an eerie feeling to turn off the key but the engine keeps running. Wish I could tell you what fixed it, but somewhere in the refurbishing, the problem went away.

If I remember correctly, Robbie (Airschooled) found an unusual jumper in the fuse box, and removing that may have solved it.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

It’s as simple as some circuit is feeding 12 volts to the primary side of the coil when it shouldn’t. That’s all it takes to keep the engine running

The late Bus (1971 on, I think) started feeding the headlights form the ignition side, so guess what?

Your headlights are backfeeding 12 volts to the coil

Get the wiring diagram , tear out what is in there, and rewire to the diagram

That will take 1/3 the time of trying to sort out someone else’s diarrhea
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Your headlights are backfeeding 12 volts to the coil

Get the wiring diagram , tear out what is in there, and rewire to the diagram

That will take 1/3 the time of trying to sort out someone else’s diarrhea

That's what my friend recommended. He knows electrical and I 'm pretty clueless, so he's going to help me out. I'm still baffled what caused it. It was all working so well.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

One likely scenario

Someone decided they wanted the ability to turn the headlights on with the key off. They thus wired to a terminal 15 wire to the headlight switch with out removing the terminal 30 wire to same. Have a look at your headlight switch fir extra wires that don’t look stock.
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Or a major harness short between the ignition circuit and the tail lamp circuit. Pull the appropriate fuses and see if any of them stop the engine issue

I tried pulling some fuses associated with the problem to see if the results might provide some clues.

#12 Pulled this one first - I believe it controls the horn and brake lights. Turned on the key and started the bus. Turned on the headlights. Turned off the key and the bus remains running. Turn off the headlights and the engine stops. Only diffesrence is the horn doesn't make a kind of sickly beeeeeppp when the lights are turned off.

#3, 4, 5, 6 Pulled the low and high beam head light fuses. Problem still there.

I wanted to pull the fuse for the backup lights, but I can't find it. The manual says it's #11, but only in the autmatic transmission model. The manual indicated it's supposed to be in the engine compartment near the coil. The only fuse I could find was a fused power wire running between the electric fuel pump and the coil.

Can anyone steer me toward the backup light fuse and let me know if the problem persisting with the above fuses provides any answere?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

The backup light fuse is an inline fuse that lays somewhere on the left side of the engine, it is in the middle of a black wire that attaches to the 12+ side of the coil. The other end of the black wire goes to the reverse light switch on the transmission. It is a great example of German afterthought engineering.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
It is a great example of German afterthought engineering.

Or thinking ahead and saving money, backup lights were optional in some markets, why add wires to every single unit if they were never going to be used?

Does the engine stay running with just the parking lights on too, or only when the switch is pulled out all the way?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
It is a great example of German afterthought engineering.

Or thinking ahead and saving money, backup lights were optional in some markets, why add wires to every single unit if they were never going to be used?

Does the engine stay running with just the parking lights on too, or only when the switch is pulled out all the way?

Yes, I just checked. The engine does stay on if you start it and turn on the pariing lights, then turn off the key. Then if you turn off the parking lights the engine stops.

Could it be that there is something in the ignition switch that is not happening that would cause the problem? Like mechanically whatever is suplposed to be happening isn't happening inside the ignition switch?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

Weren't you having problems with your backup lights recently?, and confusion over what color wire a ground should be? Are you sure you don't have a marker light powering the coil via the backup light circuit?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Weren't you having problems with your backup lights recently?, and confusion over what color wire a ground should be? Are you sure you don't have a marker light powering the coil via the backup light circuit?

I believe you are referring when I replaced the gray plastic housings for the rear lights. And yes, it took quite a bit of advice to get them hooked back up and functioning. So yes, it's certainly possible I screwed up somewhere. But the tail light housings were changed in July of last year. Wouldn't it be odd for it to take this long for the problems to show up?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

Pull fuses 1 and 2. See if one of them stop the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Pull fuses 1 and 2. See if one of them stop the problem.

You nailed it! Pulling fuse #2 solves all problems. The backup lights are only on now when the bus is in reverse. The head lights no longer kill the engine after turning the key off.
2 controls:

License Plate Light - Confirmed not working with 2 pulled
Rear side marker R - " "
Tail Light R -

I think Bussdaddy may have called it. Maybe I have ground and power reversed to the R side marker?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

Check the condition of the harness in the starter area and engine bay. You've got a short between the right side tail light / side marker wire and the main black engine wire. This is usually caused by a temporary short on the (unfused) main black engine wire which melted its insulation enough to fuse it to the tail light wire.

Does the tail light light when the engine is running, perchance?

Has this bus ever had an engine fire, requiring harness repair?
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

I did a little probing around the wire harness and couldn't see any obvious issues. I was curious if I might have temporarily resolved whatever was shorting out by just moving the bundlle around. Put fuse 2 back in and no such luck, but I did discoveer a couple more things.

Transmission not in reverse, engine started, headlights on, turns on reverse lights. Turn key off, engine goes off even with headlights on. So in any gear other than R it doesn't have the problem of continuing to run if the headlights are on.

New discovery... even w/o running or key on, put it in R and the front parking lights come on along w the backup lights. With engine running and headlights on I have the same old problem.

I'm going to pull the battery out tomorrow and open up the back of the tail light housing and take a closer look.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Check the condition of the harness in the starter area and engine bay. You've got a short between the right side tail light / side marker wire and the main black engine wire. This is usually caused by a temporary short on the (unfused) main black engine wire which melted its insulation enough to fuse it to the tail light wire.

Does the tail light light when the engine is running, perchance?

Has this bus ever had an engine fire, requiring harness repair?

Telford has nailed this as usual. Short between tail And reverse light harness feeding coil.

Assume you have multiple faults, not just one. It will quickly become apparent you should rewire this whole section, not try to patch it
Jrh5r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

I recently had a similar issue. Spent days trying to resolve it going through wires. Finally took off the turn signal lenses and removed one bulb at a time. The front turn signal bulb was shorting out between the two tabs, feeding power back through the harness. Try removing a bulb at a time and see if that resolves the issue.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Westfalia Electrical Gremlin Nightmare - Help! Reply with quote

dr8track wrote:

New discovery... even w/o running or key on, put it in R and the front parking lights come on along w the backup lights. With engine running and headlights on I have the same old problem.

I'm going to pull the battery out tomorrow and open up the back of the tail light housing and take a closer look.

This indicates that something in the lighting circuit is getting power when it should not be. Does removing the plug from the headlight switch (have #1 and #2 fuses in place) fix eliminate the symptoms?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: