Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rusted star adjusters
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poppawoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Rusted star adjusters Reply with quote

My 72 has rear drum brakes that I was working on when I got stuck.. The star adjusters were rusted solid. I cannot get them to move at all. I've tried blaster and let it soak for hours and even overnight. I took a torch to it but still nothing. Any ideas on what else I could try to get these out of here so I can finish my brake job?
Poppawoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted star adjusters Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted star adjusters Reply with quote

PBlaster
Heat
The biggest, baddest vise-grips you can muster, clinched as tight as you can, in the proper direction. (Tools like vise-grips, channel locks, monkey wrenches, etc, all have an orientation, that if reversed usually ruins the parts at hand.)

It’s worth saving the original backing plates because of figment issues with new plates.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted star adjusters Reply with quote

That star on the left is looking a bit mangled, too.

As a penetrating oil, I prefer AeroKroil. Give it a few days.

New adjusting stars are available, if things go sideways.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted star adjusters Reply with quote

Poppawoody wrote:
so I can finish my brake job?

What are you actually doing on this brake job?

72 has some “One year only” things going on. Perhaps you already know this.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...3fcb1e14bb

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted star adjusters Reply with quote

there was talk awhile ago that a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone works better than most everything. watched a couple Tube videos that tried really hard to be scientific, and it seem to do really well. Ray may jump in and correct me, and thats fine.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted star adjusters Reply with quote

Take an old chisel and grind it so that it has rounded edges and can exert its force right at the roots of the teeth.

Heating the adjuster cylinders up and then applying wax to the joints as they cool would draw the wax into the joint.

I drill small drain holes in the bottom of each of the adjuster cylinders so that any water that gets into the cylinders will drain out readily and hopefully the adjuster will get less corrosion as a result, you could drill the holes and then use a grease needle to try and force the adjusters to move using hydraulic pressure.
Poppawoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted star adjusters Reply with quote

I'm replacing everything but the backing plates (hopefully not the f'n backing plates). Trying not to have to replace them if at all possible. Do any of you think it would be worth heading to the store to get some brake cleaner to try to help loosen up some of that build up or is that a mute point? Luckily they're not a one year backing plate. MidAmerican Motorsports has the one I need for around $75.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted star adjusters Reply with quote

spray the whole deal down with parts cleaner and blow all the weasel piss out of there. use compressed air to make sure that everything is DRY.

heat those cocksuckers up on the boss they slide into until you can almost see thru them. quickly with GOOD vice grips start to wiggle them bac and forth grabbing the stars, NOT the screw

they'll come out. you need a real torch setup....mapp gas may be a bit weak here.

you'll be worm food by the time any penetrating oil even thinks of working

once out use a bottle brush style wire brush/rifle brush and shine the bore up real good.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted star adjusters Reply with quote

just get the shoes out of the way, use a long slotted screwdriver to turn the threaded portion out, if the star remains frozen in place, I thread a decent length bolt in, deep enough to bottom out & draw the star out of the pocket.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusted star adjusters Reply with quote

Poppawoody wrote:
I'm replacing everything but the backing plates (hopefully not the f'n backing plates). Trying not to have to replace them if at all possible. Do any of you think it would be worth heading to the store to get some brake cleaner to try to help loosen up some of that build up or is that a mute point? Luckily they're not a one year backing plate. MidAmerican Motorsports has the one I need for around $75.

If you are having this much trouble removing the stars I’m willing to bet the backing plates will not come off either.
’65 Deluxe Build
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rusted star adjusters Reply with quote

That’s going to take heat. You know you are getting long enough when the metal will start to lose the corrosion as it burns off. Three to five minutes of heat and perhaps the same number of cycles of heating and cooling.

Acetone ATF 50/50 is the best measured penetrant but that’s not going to bust up that rust.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: