Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Berg full flow oil pump, tricks to getting one out of engine.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Berg full flow oil pump, tricks to getting one out of engine. Reply with quote

So, during the cam break in of my rebuilt 2021, I noticed I have an oil leak between my oil pump and case. The oil pump is a Berg full flow with the machined oring.
How do you get it out? With the pressure port blocked off, you can't get both ends of the puller in the pump. I tried doing it with the the one end in the suction side, but it just bends the piece on the puller.
What's the trick?
"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Berg full flow oil pump, tricks to getting one out of engine. Reply with quote

Did you loosen the M8 nuts above and below the pump?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Berg full flow oil pump, tricks to getting one out of engine. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Did you loosen the M8 nuts above and below the pump?

Is that what you're supposed to do? I thought about it, but was afraid I'd have a leak at the case halves.
"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Berg full flow oil pump, tricks to getting one out of engine. Reply with quote

Loosen the bolts Glenn mentioned, then remove the drive gear and the 4 pump studs, then you can twist the pump to break the gasket seal. You can modify the puller too so it only locks into the feed port
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Berg full flow oil pump, tricks to getting one out of engine. Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn. Worked like a charm. Now leak free.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Berg full flow oil pump, tricks to getting one out of engine. Reply with quote

Quote:
You can modify the puller too so it only locks into the feed port

Pic or more info?
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Berg full flow oil pump, tricks to getting one out of engine. Reply with quote

I have an extra puller that I cut the small (outlet galley) leg off, so it looks like an L not a T. You use the larger end in the feed galley port only, hold a little pressure on it until the nut is tight so it stays put, then keep tightening as normal to pull the pump
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: