Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto Trans leak
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I am working on my two year maintenance for the van. I looked under today and noticed what appears to be a trans leak. See pictures below. I need to take a closer look, but it looks like it might *NOT* be coming from the seal, but above at what appears to be some sort of gear pulley (is that the name?).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

edit: subject changed to better reflect issue

Last edited by physast on Mon May 03, 2021 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans leak Reply with quote

So ..... you have an automatic.

That is the shift linkage at the transmission.
The rotted ribbed part is a dust boot whose better days are long gone!

Clean it up using an engine degreaser and start trying to figure out where the leak is coming from. Leaks usually cone from forward and up from where it is the wettest.

Dave .

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans leak Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
So ..... you have an automatic.

That is the shift linkage at the transmission.
The rotted ribbed part is a dust boot whose better days are long gone!

Clean it up using an engine degreaser and start trying to figure out where the leak is coming from. Leaks usually cone from forward and up from where it is the wettest.

Dave .

Added to my list of things to do. I will clean up that area and see if I can pin point the leak.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

It isn't a big deal to change the o-rings on the shafts going into the transmission, if that is where your leak is at. You just need to get everything back together to exactly where is was to start with.
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
It isn't a big deal to change the o-rings on the shafts going into the transmission, if that is where your leak is at. You just need to get everything back together to exactly where is was to start with.

In preparation, incase it is from the o-ring seal. Who sells these? I looked on the usual sites, but could not find them. It could be I am not searching the correct name.

Also I tried searching to see if a 'sticky' or post details this replacement, but couldn't find any.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

physast wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

In preparation, incase it is from the o-ring seal. Who sells these? I looked on the usual sites, but could not find them. It could be I am not searching the correct name.

Also I tried searching to see if a 'sticky' or post details this replacement, but couldn't find any.

You could give German Transaxle a call and see if they can set you up. It has been too long since I have dealt with the shafts in one of these units for me to give a step by step, I just remember that you have to be careful to get everything aligned with the other parts of the transmission correctly.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

from this thread in the Bay forum
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592979

I think you are looking at #15 & #22
danfromsyr wrote:
Wasted he's asking about the 76-79 010 AT not the 73-75 003 AT

to answer the OPs question yes you can service that in the vehicle.
you'll need to drop the pan and the valve body.
it's a good time to service the filter/screen. just use a clean cookie tray to contain the parts while you're in there.
the lever is a 'manual valve' and I'm not sure the part number, it might be just an O-ring, it's been a while since I've been into one. (might be #15 in image below)
you might be able to buy the seal individually from www.bulkpart.com
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=VW-010

here's a link for an exploded view
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/graphics/Catalog-pdf/VW-010.pdf

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

If you tear into it to replace the o-rings, drain out the oil by removing the fill tube and then loosen or remove the pan bolts so that the pan tilts off to one side. Let it sit this way at least overnight so that as much oil as possible will drip down into the pan and run out.

Take pictures of how everything fits together before undoing anything inside. As others mention now is the time to clean or replace the filter. Having lost a transmission one time because the filter fatigued and cracked, I am a believer in putting in a new filter every 100K miles or so. GoWesty has a filter kit IIRC.
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

So I drove the van today to check the transmission fluid. Still have not got around to cleaning up around the leak to see where the leak is coming from.

Checked the ATF while cold and to my surprise it was very full, past the max mark. Did this a few times because I did not expect this. Then I ran it for about 10 miles kept it running and put it in park to check again. As expected I guess still full, past the max, but not as full.

So maybe.. The trans fluid is leaking because it is over filled.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

The torque converter could be draining back when it sits. Save yourself the headache and check the level as recommended. Operating temp, idling in park.
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The torque converter could be draining back when it sits. Save yourself the headache and check the level as recommended. Operating temp, idling in park.

I did just that. First checked cold. Then at temp, operating in park. Both times they were above the full mark.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

Checking cold isn’t helpful. Go with your hot level. Overfilling can froth the fluid adding air bubbles into the fluid. Not helpful. So correct your level.

Your trans in the one picture looks very tired and weathered. At minimum, your looking likely at resealing it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

physast wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

I did just that. First checked cold. Then at temp, operating in park. Both times they were above the full mark.

Someone grossly over filled you unit.
Drain some out.

But also check your differential oil, if that is low, its in your transmission.
This is a whole different problem!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

I will check the gear oil tomorrow. I also plan on siphoning out some of the trans fluid to correct level.

I have been driving the van this way for probably 5 years. Meaning I have not added, taken out any ATF since I have owned the van. Maybe the differential oil is leaking into the trans. I seem to remember the ATF level being fine a few years ago.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

physast wrote:
I will check the gear oil tomorrow. I also plan on siphoning out some of the trans fluid to correct level.

I have been driving the van this way for probably 5 years. Meaning I have not added, taken out any ATF since I have owned the van. Maybe the differential oil is leaking into the trans. I seem to remember the ATF level being fine a few years ago.

All the more reason to check the differential!

FWIW..... differential oil smells rank! What does your atf fluid smell like?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

Honestly, I did not notice any oder at all when I smelled it while checking the level.

physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

I just siphoned about 1.5 qts of ATF out of the trans. Now the COLD reading is a little above the tip of the dip stick as the manual suggest. I will take it for a spin later to day and check the WARM level and see what I get.
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

Update:

So I took the van for a spin after siphoning about 1.5 QT of ATF out. Cold was reading just above the tip of the dip stick.

During the ride I noticed slipping, meaning I would give gas, but the van would not move just the engine would rev up.

I stopped and checked the level (Warm at this point) and nothing on the dip stick! Shocked

So I kept it running and put about 0.5 QT of ATF in and drove some more. Still slipping. Evil or Very Mad

Stopped check the level nothing on the dip stick! Shocked

Added another 0.5 QT and drove some more. This time no slipping meaning when I give gas the van goes and not just revs. Drove for about 10 min came back home.

Checked the level and nothing on the dip stick! Shocked

I am going to let her sit for awhile and check the level again cold.

What is going on?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

Your chasing your tail. Don’t worry about the cold level. You fill it hot. That’s why they specify hot.

1.5 qts is a lot when a change is 3qts.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Trans leak Reply with quote

Just to make sure we agree on how to measure ATF:

1. drive the van at least six miles.
2. pull over at a level spot.
3. leave the engine running.
4. check the ATF with the engine running.

Any other procedure is incorrect and will produce incorrect results.

kourt

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: