Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor drive gear spring
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
travis1488
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

Does anyone know the dimensions of the spring? Thanks
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

Just buy the correct spring, don't look for "something" that fits.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2149592

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
travis1488
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

That's my plan but I need something fast for now. I live in Bfe and no shops even close.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

Your going to make things worse by trying to find something close.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

tasb wrote:

It's a anti chatter spring.. what will the issue be? On my first motor I didn't even have one and didn't see issues on then gears when I took the motor apart.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

ekacpuc wrote:
tasb wrote:

It's a anti chatter spring.. what will the issue be? On my first motor I didn't even have one and didn't see issues on then gears when I took the motor apart.

Actually the distributor driveshaft is pulled down when the engine is running. that why there are steel thrust washers under it to prevent the spinning steel shaft from cutting into the softer magnesium.

The spring is to prevent chatter in the distributor in the event of the fiber washers or shims are damaged and there's excessive vertical play in the distributor body.

So... YES, you can run without it, just like you can run with missing engine tin and not flaps or thermostat, but i wouldn't.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

hey OP try the spring out of an ink pen, MacGyver that shit
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

OP.. i have springs in stock. You can PM me and I can ship as fast as you can afford.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

I feel the need to add to this.....because even though Glenn and tasb are 100% correct.....you guys are giving no logical information of why another generic spring could not be used. If someone is trying to think through or make sense of the whys and hows.....it may seem illogical.

A. Yes having no spring is bad. Why? Because the distributors come with a specific amount of tolerance between the shims, drive dog and body (and other components depending on model).....to allow for oil and expansion. No spring allows the shaft to hammer up and down as rpm changes and beats the crap out of the soft shims and parts. No spring = bad is easy to understand.

2. The shims are relatively soft and can wear fast with excessive pressure. And its not high pressure oiled so with a little too much pressure its easy to force out the oil that should be there.

Unless you have a spec.....for the exact length of the spring and the compression it needs to have....and for exactly how much compression pressure it generates.....you will have no idea how much tension a generic spring from the hardware will generate.

Springs are actually pretty complex. You might find one that has the same length, diameter and wire coil diameter.....but if it is not the same alloy, wire coil pitch and temper.....it may be miles away different.

Just order the correct spring and dont drive it for a couple of days. Order a spare too! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

What Ray said.
And while you are at it you may want to check if the tolerance between the drive and distributor drive is within specs. On high mileage cases it is usually not and should be adressed.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

Ray, i don't have the specs, but too much pressure will wear the fiber washers and shims in the distributor and too little will not do the job.

You can debate all you want, but the "correct" spring is easily obtainable so why look for a hardware store solution.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Ray, i don't have the specs, but too much pressure will wear the fiber washers and shims in the distributor and too little will not do the job.

You can debate all you want, but the "correct" spring is easily obtainable so why look for a hardware store solution.

Yep.....If you read what I wrote.....I said the same thing. Wink

Its kind of hard to actually measure and get spring specs. Not worth it if you can just get the correct oem spring.

Ray
tasb

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

ok, the spring from an ink pen is going to give out in a hurry under the conditions you will be placing it in. I was basing my opinion upon the niumber of threads you can find on this site where people are having issues with their distributor and or ignition not working or working properly. Glenn's not the only one with spare springs, I'd hazard a guess that just about every VW owner has one so why not find the correct part.

tasb

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

Sometimes reasons for a statement are omitted due to time or the insistence upon doing things the wrong way even after being warned by someone with experience on the topic, move on. if you're not worried about little metal bits from a ball point pen spring bouncing around inside your engine go ahead.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive gear spring Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
if you're not worried about little metal bits from a ball point pen spring bouncing around inside your engine go ahead.

Good point.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: