Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

99 EVC Exhaust Down Pipe (front pipe, flex pipe) Replacement
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gschwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: 99 EVC Exhaust Down Pipe (front pipe, flex pipe) Replacement Reply with quote

I need to replace the Down Pipe (also called the front pipe and flex pipe) on my 99 EVC. I have a replacement on the way (which is the only one I could find in the US.)

Has anyone done this with the van up on ramps?

I'm wondering if I'll be able to pull it off in the driveway, or if I should have a professional do it. From what I've read you can get at the bolts from the bottom with a long extension, but I've read conflicting accounts of snaking the pipes out and back in.

Will I have to remove any other parts (steering, etc) to get it removed?

Thanks for any input.

-Garth
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 99 EVC Exhaust Down Pipe (front pipe, flex pipe) Replacement Reply with quote

Possibly a language thing but I am not sure exactly which bit you are talking about. Sounds to me like the headers (the 4:1 bit that comes off the engine and links to the first section of pipe that probably has the cat)

My (generic) morcel of advice. Be prepared to deal with very stuck and rusty bolts when dealing with exhausts. the heat cycling and the location means they get very stuck and rusty. If you don't have at your disposal things like impact wrench, blow torch/other heat source, grinder then I would get a pro to do it and save yourself some pain.
Not to say I havent gone through the pain myself many times .. . Drilling snapped studs out of a head is about the worst.

You can always have a go of course but don't round off bolts amd make things worse!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gschwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 99 EVC Exhaust Down Pipe (front pipe, flex pipe) Replacement Reply with quote

Sage advice. I always curse myself when I work on exhaust, but don't seem to learn my lesson.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 99 EVC Exhaust Down Pipe (front pipe, flex pipe) Replacement Reply with quote

Dremel tool with the reinforced wheels will be your best friend if 60 seconds of heat doesnt ease those manifold bolts.

Ive got oxy-MAPP over in Albany if you get stuck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: