Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

80% of what GoWe$ty sells can be made from scratch, found at another supplier, bought from Ebay, Amazon or AliExpress or figuring out who their supplier is and going direct to them.

Usually for about 60% of the price GW charges.

Once upon a time, GW was good at buying off the shelf products and engineering them to work for our niche. Or designing something and having a supplier make them cheap so they can turn a huge profit margin.

Their business model has been sliding backwards for about 5 years. They don't do in house repair, they don't do restorations, They don't do appraisals, they don't sell vans, they haven't engineered a new product . I don't believe they warehouse a lot of their stuff. Most seems to be drop shipped. So they prob. outsourced the inventorying and warehousing to save money and are at the mercy of that.

If they're having issues it has nothing do do with global supply chain. It has everything to do with their business model. Which seems to be to profit off the past success and the brand name of years gone.

They are use to catering to Westfalia owners who aren't mechanically inclined and just want to add the prescribed "kit" to their vans regardless of the cost. That breed of owner is starting to die out a bit now days. 1. We're getting back to the true VW enthusiasts owning these vans again instead of the nomad campervan culture kids that had disposable income from pre-pandemic gig jobs or trust funds. 2. Anyone that wanted that vanilla / spec kit van has it outfitted already or can find one for sale. 3. The pandemic has taught us all to be more self sufficient without stuff. We will make or garage engineer something we may have bought in the past.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

GW has become the last place I look for anything. Usually highest price, expensive shipping, often out of stock...PITA.

Sorry, guys... Rolling Eyes

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli wrote:
We will make or garage engineer something we may have bought in the past.

although i normally agree with this, sometimes it's nice to say "here, take my money" and walk away with a product that works.

i am in the middle of a build now and wanted to buy a subaru throttle cable for the automatic trans vanagon.

van cafe/RMW wanted 109 for the kit. fine, no big deal. i asked about a spare throttle cable... they wanted another 109 for another kit...won't sell it separately...and that's when the fight broke out...

thought to myself ok, you fuckers won't sell me a spare cable? pounded the internet for about 3 mins placed an order with a bike shop. made 3 cables and a bracket for 38 bux.

point being, it took me about an hour to lay out the bracket and weld it up. i much rather would have spent that hour making money, not parts....in the end if they want to play games like that they can eat a satchel of richards.

if anyone ever posts they need a cable i'll spell out how i made mine. that's the kind of BS that keeps me from buying stuff from some of these guys.

i like to support the GOOD vendors...never cry about the price etc. but if they want to play games like that then screw it. truth be told if they would have said "ok, the kit is 109 and a spare cable is 35" i would have bit.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli wrote:

Their business model has been sliding backwards for about 5 years. They don't do in house repair, they don't do restorations, They don't do appraisals, they don't sell vans, they haven't engineered a new product . I don't believe they warehouse a lot of their stuff. Most seems to be drop shipped. So they prob. outsourced the inventorying and warehousing to save money and are at the mercy of that.

I wouldn't say moving out of restorations and repair is necessarily a bad move for them they stopped doing such over 7 years or more ago (EDIT: over 10 years ago-see below) Probably comes down to having only so much square footage and/or concentrating on what's the most enjoyable and profitable.
They are developing EFI and I have notice a lot more items they have developed last time I was on their site.

From their website:
Vehicle Sales & Restoration
GoWesty stopped doing vehicle restorations about a decade ago in order to focus our efforts on the greatest good for the greatest number of van owners instead. To that end, we repurposed our limited space on the GoWesty campus from working on vans to working on solutions for vans. We have doubled down on our research and development efforts to include a robust team of 5 full-time, degreed mechanical engineers working tirelessly on a to-do list of innovations that will keep them busy for a very long time! Rest assured: We will continue to design and engineer modern solutions for these iconic vehicles because we want you to stay on (and off!) the road for as long as you possibly can! "

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

Just in case you were wondering, the EFI is out of stock as well. Laughing

vanagonjr wrote:
a2wolfsburggli wrote:

I wouldn't say moving out of restorations and repair is necessarily a bad move for them they stopped doing such over 7 years or more ago (EDIT: over 10 years ago-see below) Probably comes down to having only so much square footage and/or concentrating on what's the most enjoyable and profitable.
They are developing EFI and I have notice a lot more items they have developed last time I was on their site.

From their website:
Vehicle Sales & Restoration
GoWesty stopped doing vehicle restorations about a decade ago in order to focus our efforts on the greatest good for the greatest number of van owners instead. To that end, we repurposed our limited space on the GoWesty campus from working on vans to working on solutions for vans. We have doubled down on our research and development efforts to include a robust team of 5 full-time, degreed mechanical engineers working tirelessly on a to-do list of innovations that will keep them busy for a very long time! Rest assured: We will continue to design and engineer modern solutions for these iconic vehicles because we want you to stay on (and off!) the road for as long as you possibly can! "

Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

I’ve been using them for long enough to remember their paper catalog. I’ve never had an issue. Now that I can do local pickups at another vendor I have not used GW much. I applaud all these places for helping us stay on the road. If any one of them doesn’t survive, our part sources will start to dwindle fast. Cut them some slack, the pandemic has been difficult for a lot of businesses. If Ford and GM are closing factories due to parts shortages, these small players have to be in a tough spot.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

^ Agreed. If GW could sell stock they certainly would. They are losing money not being able to sell parts. It may be frustrating for us not having parts for 1 van, which is most likely a hobby. But to them they are losing on the money they need to live.
Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

Waiting for GW to restock their Yakima Low Rise Spacers. I haven't been able to find anything like them anywhere else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli wrote:
80% of what GoWe$ty sells can be made from scratch, found at another supplier, bought from Ebay, Amazon or AliExpress or figuring out who their supplier is and going direct to them.
If they're having issues it has nothing do do with global supply chain.

from what little I‘ve heard recently about the global supply chain, container costs are 2x what they were pre-pandemic and on the water time has doubled or tripled. No shit things are out of stock. most of it comes from overseas. As for their in-house manufactured stuff? The prices of steel have been crazy. This goes back before covid to the tarrifs. I don’t pretend to know what’s going on, but it’s not as simple as “gowesty needs to work harder or choose a different business model”.

Yellow Rabbit is exactly right. We’re lucky to have companies supporting these old vans. The GW and VC crews are fun as hell and I’m thankful that those companies can employ so many good people. My bias here is that I’ve met them as people and not just parts slingers I only know through the internet.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli wrote:

They are use to catering to Westfalia owners who aren't mechanically inclined and just want to add the prescribed "kit" to their vans regardless of the cost. That breed of owner is starting to die out a bit now days. 1. We're getting back to the true VW enthusiasts owning these vans again instead of the nomad campervan culture kids that had disposable income from pre-pandemic gig jobs or trust funds. 2. Anyone that wanted that vanilla / spec kit van has it outfitted already or can find one for sale. 3. The pandemic has taught us all to be more self sufficient without stuff. We will make or garage engineer something we may have bought in the past.

3. DIY a heater hose from gelatin, sawdust, and pencil lead. Go!
This whole bit is just laughable. Nice dig at Westfalia owners not being mechanically inclined though Twisted Evil
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

Blakesinclair wrote:
Waiting for GW to restock their Yakima Low Rise Spacers. I haven't been able to find anything like them anywhere else.

Same. Been waiting for months now. Anyone know where else I can find these?

1969 Bucky the Bug Convertible...red, rusted, work in progress....LOTS of work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

4mymalamute wrote:
Blakesinclair wrote:

Same. Been waiting for months now. Anyone know where else I can find these?

Buy a high rise kit and cut the spacers in half. Now you have two low rise sets!

I have a set of high rise spacers sitting in a box in my basement if you want them for the cost of shipping and a six pack of beer.
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:

Multiple others have engineered Microsquirt and Holly EFI systems. Posted right here on TheSamba. Parts options and maps available for us to install at home or have a skilled mechanic install.

The Holly system someone had engineered for them and turn key installed / tuned from scratch was about 3k all in. $1100 for parts, rest for install and tune.

GW's system is $3000 plus shipping just for parts and you can't get it today. It's unobtanium.

Then figure out or pay for install. Any independent mechanic that would take this on is going to charge at least several thousand dollars for that. Prob. more. Bring your total cost to turn key to $5-7K or more. It's just straight up not worth it. You're more than half way into the cost of a motor swap at that point.

It's not that the parts aren't available. I'm betting any one of us could purchase every single component from Delphi direct or another supplier. Which mean GW can as well at wholesale.

erste wrote:

3. DIY a heater hose from gelatin, sawdust, and pencil lead. Go!
This whole bit is just laughable. Nice dig at Westfalia owners not being mechanically inclined though Twisted Evil

We don't need to. They're available at many other suppliers, FAPS, or easily substituted with off the shelf universal hoses that will fit in a pinch.

But thanks for the gaslighting.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

As someone who has installed several Megasquirt PNP kits (and currently has a turbo e30 running on Megasquirt) I would not attempt to convert the van to Megasquirt. It's a pain enough with a drop in kit. Use a universal kit and wire everything in? That is just... A lot of effort. If there was a drop in MS kit for the Vanagon I would certainly consider it if my motor was 100%. You'd easily spend $1500 between the kit, supporting mods, gauges, etc and another $1500 on dyno time for tuning. How many hours/weeks/months is this all going to take to come together? And it's just constant tweaking.

$3k for a drop in aftermarket EMS can't be called a "bargain" but it is certainly a good price for something that can be installed in a weekend and then you're good to go.
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
As someone who has installed several Megasquirt PNP kits (and currently has a turbo e30 running on Megasquirt) I would not attempt to convert the van to Megasquirt. It's a pain enough with a drop in kit. Use a universal kit and wire everything in? That is just... A lot of effort. If there was a drop in MS kit for the Vanagon I would certainly consider it if my motor was 100%. You'd easily spend $1500 between the kit, supporting mods, gauges, etc and another $1500 on dyno time for tuning. How many hours/weeks/months is this all going to take to come together? And it's just constant tweaking.

$3k for a drop in aftermarket EMS can't be called a "bargain" but it is certainly a good price for something that can be installed in a weekend and then you're good to go.

The "kit" for the MicroSquirt is already mostly established in another thread here. Cost is right around $800-1000. There are tunes available for the 2.1L.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1laXykNPbRYS8MT...2imqd2pnx7

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=718784

Yes, this is very much a DIY install as you have to still make the harness etc.

Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

A full set of window seals Sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
a2wolfsburggli wrote:
We will make or garage engineer something we may have bought in the past.

although i normally agree with this, sometimes it's nice to say "here, take my money" and walk away with a product that works.

i am in the middle of a build now and wanted to buy a subaru throttle cable for the automatic trans vanagon.

van cafe/RMW wanted 109 for the kit. fine, no big deal. i asked about a spare throttle cable... they wanted another 109 for another kit...won't sell it separately...and that's when the fight broke out...

thought to myself ok, you fuckers won't sell me a spare cable? pounded the internet for about 3 mins placed an order with a bike shop. made 3 cables and a bracket for 38 bux.

point being, it took me about an hour to lay out the bracket and weld it up. i much rather would have spent that hour making money, not parts....in the end if they want to play games like that they can eat a satchel of richards.

if anyone ever posts they need a cable i'll spell out how i made mine. that's the kind of BS that keeps me from buying stuff from some of these guys.

i like to support the GOOD vendors...never cry about the price etc. but if they want to play games like that then screw it. truth be told if they would have said "ok, the kit is 109 and a spare cable is 35" i would have bit.

I have no horse in this race but maybe thats how they purchase, in kit form?
T
Rear discs
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
As someone who has installed several Megasquirt PNP kits (and currently has a turbo e30 running on Megasquirt) I would not attempt to convert the van to Megasquirt. It's a pain enough with a drop in kit.

the main issue in my experience helping folks MS swap stuff is almost always the wiring.
the PNP kits that DIY sells solve this, as you know

i tune a few turbo e30s per year, i know good canned tunes are out there for those as well.
the toughest part about being a trail blazer (again this doesnt apply to the van or your e30) is usually getting the base timing and trigger inputs down.
canned tunes can get you driving and from there a good runner isnt too much work.

wiring and crappy harness work in my experience lead to most of the issues ive run across.

the problem with offering a "plug it in and never open a laptop" tune is that the engine, the intake, the exhaust, etc etc all need to be identical. IMO when done right your adaptation stuff (closed loop o2, etc) wont have enough margin to make up for all engine to engine variance when installed on well-used and differently maintained motors known for their lack of longevity.

YMMV Smile

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=718784

Yes, this is very much a DIY install as you have to still make the harness etc.

I'm well aware of that thread and it plainly proves my point. How long did that process take? Still going?

valvecovergasket wrote:
wiring and crappy harness work in my experience lead to most of the issues ive run across.

I feel personally attacked. I did not know you were so familiar with my engine bays. Laughing
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's on your GW waiting list that is currently out of stock?? Reply with quote

space wrote:

I have no horse in this race but maybe thats how they purchase, in kit form?

could be. they claim to make it. if that's the case they should be able to sell a spare bracket or cable. how many have had their "upgraded" alt brackets crack/break?

i'm the guy that has a cable randomly break at the worst possible time so every vw i own has a set in it. just rubbed me the wrong way they weren't willing to sell a spare. honestly, i'm glad i called first. i would have been pissed if i bought it and couldn't get a cable separately.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: