Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Cable Wing Nut and Threads Put a Hole in my Gas Tank
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coreyajones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Clutch Cable Wing Nut and Threads Put a Hole in my Gas Tank Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's one for you bus guys. I replaced the cork gasket in my OE VW stamped gas cap while on a 4.5 hour trip from OKC to Dallas after Dubs on Auto Alley. Cap fits much better and I'm thinking it will help reduce the gas smell in the garage. Once home, the gas smell is worse than ever. After 45 minutes, I check the cap and a swoosh of air moves when I turn the cap. I determine my OE cap isn't venting even though it is a vented style with the wavy edge inside it. So I order a new vented cap. However, gas smell never goes away. The next day, I figure out my tank is leaking. The pressure with the new gas cap gasket made it leak. So I pull the engine (23 minutes, I'm getting rusty) and pull the tank to find that the clutch end and wing nut have been rubbing the tank. It wore a hole in the metal under the tank and apparently created a weak spot on the tank. Once the tank is out, I can see it's been repaired before. This is a Brazilian bus so anything goes. There was gas residue and peeling paint all under the tank. So I've ordered a new tank with the rubber underneath and the fiber pads. I'm going to put some sheet metal to cover the hole. I also tried bending the body metal up a little. Has anyone else had this happen? I couldn't find it in a post.
coreyajones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Wing Nut and Threads Put a Hole in my Gas Tank Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Looks like you have one of those extra long clutch arms. Get a stock one - problem solved.

Thanks! I was going down the road of the clutch tube mount being incorrect and making the cable angle up too much. I can't seem to find a split bus tube mount though. I can find a clutch arm though. I'll grab a stock one.

Last edited by coreyajones on Tue May 04, 2021 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Wing Nut and Threads Put a Hole in my Gas Tank Reply with quote

Looks like you have one of those extra long clutch arms. Get a stock one - problem solved.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Wing Nut and Threads Put a Hole in my Gas Tank Reply with quote

What he ^^^ said. How on earth did you dare weld that?
coreyajones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Wing Nut and Threads Put a Hole in my Gas Tank Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
What he ^^^ said. How on earth did you dare weld that?

It’s from Brazil. I didn’t do it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: