Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Optimistic farm find
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

Headed to Georgia to see an old friend and try to squeeze this split away from him.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its doubtful that he will give it up, but before i even ask, i need to look it over better. The engine inside the cab is the og one. Since ive only worked with bays over the years, not sure what the tripping hazards are with the earlier models. Im not interested in fetching this strickly for its value. Im only interested in it as a restoration project.

I fully understand the time and cost of busses in general, as I have several bays, and one in restoration work now. Just wondering what particular items are devastating to a split job. What items are almost unobtainable nowadays? Beams, wheel hubs, torsion bars, etc?

Not even sure of the year, but I believe its a 13 window deluxe due to the trim lines and jailbars. Would that be about a ‘66?

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

everything you need to restore that bus is either available as an aftermarket item or on this site in the classifieds. in todays market all you really need to build a split is a title and vin number. you can build an entire bus with aftermarket parts and panels.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

A wide hatch deluxe walk through. Very cool. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:

Wide hatch? Is that a different option or just the size that this year model would have had? I should be down there on monday and can report the actual year and vin. Gonna wait till wed to ask for it.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

Wide hatch? Is that a different option or just the size that this year model would have had? I should be down there on monday and can report the actual year and vin. Gonna wait till wed to ask for it.

That's just indicative of the year. Narrow hatches are generally up through the '63 model year (according to Eccles) and wide hatches started on Monday, August 5, 1963 ('64 model year). The wider hatch eliminated corner windows.

I've seen a few buses from as early as '61 where the window was a different size (deluxes were larger), but the metal part of the hatch is the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

definitely a '66.

the hard thing to find is rust-free bodies. Everything else is easy, and everything is expensive.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
definitely a '66.

the hard thing to find is rust-free bodies. Everything else is easy, and everything is expensive.

Seats are expensive, interiors are expensive, labor is expensive. If you can weld and do bodywork the repair panels are plentiful and cheap if you shop around compared to the other three items. In the end you’ll have something that exceeds the value of most bay windows which have fewer available panels, are more expensive and more difficult to repair.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

Jetfxr69
Swoop it up and get it home! You are more than capable of going through this rig. Once you start cleaning, you’ll be through it in no time faster than you might think, Cool several years, haha. These have a way of captivating interest and motivating one to complete.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

At least it’s got the front seats. Got to the split bus classifieds and look at seat prices. Dragged out of the weeds and pressure washed, I bet it looks awesome. Seems to have most of the glass so maybe not much rain got in to rot out the floors.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

I see a rear bottom maybe a back above it in the heap?
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

Again, this is not mine for the taking, but im gonna ask. He is a great friend of 30 years, albeit, apart for the last 20 on and off, and may have a soft spot for me to be the one he gives it to. His thoughts are that the monetary value means nothing to him ( his words to me one day a couple years ago), and that if he let it go, then it wouldnt be here for him to look at anymore.

Thats frustrating for all of us im sure, but its his stuff, and he is entitled to take it to the grave.

I was thinking 66 as well based on the pictures. I only know its an og engine from what he told me last time i visited. Too much shit inside to gauge the floors, but its the best looking, most complete split he has. The rest are really bad subjects.

I will be doing the work myself, following lots of tips and guidance from here of course. Im trying to build a retirement project list. I dont do well with idle time. Cheers.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

66- white dash knobs with front doors that had pulls on the inside. (The pulls are not on the doors, but the mounting location can be seen)
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Again, this is not mine for the taking, but im gonna ask. He is a great friend of 30 years, albeit, apart for the last 20 on and off, and may have a soft spot for me to be the one he gives it to. His thoughts are that the monetary value means nothing to him ( his words to me one day a couple years ago), and that if he let it go, then it wouldnt be here for him to look at anymore.

Thats frustrating for all of us im sure, but its his stuff, and he is entitled to take it to the grave.

I was thinking 66 as well based on the pictures. I only know its an og engine from what he told me last time i visited. Too much shit inside to gauge the floors, but its the best looking, most complete split he has. The rest are really bad subjects.

I will be doing the work myself, following lots of tips and guidance from here of course. Im trying to build a retirement project list. I dont do well with idle time. Cheers.

I hear you. Decide on what you like and buy now, stuff isn’t getting cheaper or easier to find. Soon as I retired on went on a Ghia project buying spree, glad I bought when I did.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

That engine, or at least the shroud and thermostat ring are 1964 or earlier. Looks like it might have a fat cap distributor too? Guessing that engine is a 40hp.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
That engine, or at least the shroud and thermostat ring are 1964 or earlier. Looks like it might have a fat cap distributor too? Guessing that engine is a 40hp.

Copy, thanks. I guess as far as he knew it was og. More details to investigate. Will look up what letter code was og and verify off engine.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Decide on what you like and buy now, stuff isn’t getting cheaper or easier to find.

so true!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

Certainly a cool piece, in whatever shape you can get it in, if it's possible, go for it. It will take a while to finish, but, as someone said before you'll have a nicer asset in terms of money and value later on.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

PDX db wrote:
66- white dash knobs with front doors that had pulls on the inside. (The pulls are not on the doors, but the mounting location can be seen)

Silver Beige......please. Razz

It's fun guessing what year model these old busses are based on limited photos. I would have guessed 64-66 due to the radio hole in the dash, the fuel filler door, couldn't really see the one year only 66 hazard flasher knob, but I did pick up on the door pull spots.....and....if it has the original front doors even you guys recently schooled me on the hole in the door that matches the window frame between the vertical bolts that you can put a punch in the door to pull the frame down in place when installing it.

For me, I think the cut rear wheel arches would be hard to get past. But if it can be saved and go down the road again in it's lifetime, that's a blessing. Perhaps your friend was blessed to have you as his friend.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

Damn! Didnt even notice the wheel arches. I wouldnt want those like that. Thats the kind of heads up i was hoping for. Thanks

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimistic farm find Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Damn! Didnt even notice the wheel arches. I wouldnt want those like that. Thats the kind of heads up i was hoping for. Thanks

Relatively easy to fix.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: